Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wanting to get started

All things reloading here
PMC
Cowhand
United States of America

Wanting to get started

Post by PMC » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:01 pm

So since political winds have changed I'm thinking of getting into reloading. Figure supplies might be easy to come by. I would want to reload 45-70 and 45 acp.

I know nothing about reloading. Any good online resources that you guys use? Reloading for dummies books or good DVDs or YouTube channels?

Thanks
1 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Wanting to get started

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Get a reloading manual or two. Read read read. Powder manufacturers websites also have tons of reliable info.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:53 pm

I've been reloading for just about two years; nearly as long as I have been shooting. I didn't know anyone who could advise me or act as a mentor, so I started by reading everything I could find online about the equipment needed for my calibers and best practices for the process. I then selected and bought my equipment (Lee Single stage press -- part of their anniversary kit, which included almost everything I needed) and purchased Hornady's 9th edition reloading manual, which is a great resource with lots of instructional advice and understandable explanations of the science of ballistics. I also watched several dozens of YouTube videos (some better than others, but all helpful). Since then I've added three other reloading manuals to my library, including Lee's, Hodgdons, and Lymans.

I've also screwed up. I once neglected to add powder to a round and produced a squib that was potentially dangerous, but fortunately I could tell something was wrong, so it became a learning experience rather than a disaster. Now, I visually check each case for powder before seating the bullet; each case, every time. Otherwise it's been uneventful and totally rewarding and pleasurable.

I highly recommend it as another, complimentary facet of the shooting sport.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Try to find someone that lives near you to help you get started and "show you the ropes". Also get at least two good reloading manuals and read read read. I would say THE LYMAN CAST BULLET HANDBOOK should be one of them. Check U-Tube for videos on how to get started and the basics of handloading. Don't be distracted while loading, no TV or phone etc .
2 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:19 pm

Everything CT said plus I have a local gun store (about a mile from my house) whose owner has been reloading for 50 years. He has forgotten more about reloading than I will ever know. Really used him as a sounding board for a lot of questions.

He recommended getting a Dillon 550B. Starting out, I used it like a single-stage and only loaded one cartridge at a time. Once I got more comfortable, I started really using the progressive capabilities. A little more up front cost, but a lot of flexibility for the future.

Started our just reloading .45 ACP, then added 9mm, .357 mag/.38, .40 S&W, and .44 mag/.44.

I hope you decide to get in. Reloading is almost as much fun as shooting.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

MapleHill
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MapleHill » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:46 pm

I have been doing it 25yrs. Get a good manual, then another and READ them thru. ABCs of Reloading is another good one. Ask questions, on here isn't a bad place to start. There are a few other sites that are very good as well. Most important...get the books FIRST!!
0 x

1911ly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 1911ly » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:22 pm

I am late to the show, the up thread posts are spot on. Try to find a local reloader to help get you started. Check with your local gun shops. A few of the local ones around here teach reloading classes.

I was lucky enough to have a couple friends that are reloaders. Then I found out one of my cousins was in to it big time! I have only been doing it for about 5-6 years. I heavily got in to it this last spring. I haven't bought a factory load since. You have lots of flexibility with your own hand loads. wanna try a little faster bullet, or a lighter projectile, you can easily do that.

The biggest tips I could give would be to get several reloader manuals and do lots of reading. I'd probably start with a single stage press. Stay within the recommends powder charges. And for sure "never assume you are doing it correctly if there is any doubt about understanding a term or a measurement ask someone". On this forum or another forum. Most gun forums have reloading sections. I have gotten a lot of help by doing it. Let us know when you get started.
0 x
I hate political correctness!!

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 pm

For YouTube videos, you might try subscribing to Johnny's Reloading Bench. He produced a 25-video series called A Beginner's Guide to Reloading. He's very thorough (quite a few of the videos run from an hour to 2 hours in length) and also entertaining, as he's sort of sarcastic about a lot of things.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 pm

PMC
I would be willing to give you a hand anyway I can thru PM email or by phone. I dont claim to know everything but I have been reloading for 40 plus years. I bet I could give you some pointers and at least give you something to think about. Al
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PMC
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PMC » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks for all the reply guys, BigAl52 you will probably be hearing from me, thanks!
0 x