Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Loading 45 apc for a revolver

All things reloading here
Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Loading 45 apc for a revolver

Post by Carver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:39 am

I just bought a Ruger revolver 45 apc but am having problems with the reloads some fit and some don’t. I have tried to factory crimp them with a lee crimp die but in order to get them to fit all the way into the cylinder I have to really use just about a maximum crimp. I don’t understand as some of my reloads fit fine and some don’t. Any suggestions? I have measured them used a case gage and they all fit fine.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Loading 45 apc for a revolver

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:36 pm

With 45 ACP measure right at the edge of the case mouth after crimp and set it for .468-.470 and you should be good to go. Do you have a chamber check gauge to test the finished round like the one by Wilson? The round should drop right in and case head be just a tiny bit below flush or flush.
Another thing is the bullet going in straight and not cocked to one side giving more case bulge on one side? That will cause the round not to go in easily.
Also if cases have been shot in a semi-auto you can get extractor burrs on the case rim which will cause the round not to go all the way in chamber.
I run into this myself and just take a piece of sandpaper or small file and lightly chuck round in drill press to spin it and smooth the edge. Some guns can have a tight chamber size too.
0 x

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:46 pm

Thank you for the in the info I will give it a go. Really frustrating, but I love shooting the revolvers. Bill
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:45 pm

Just bought a Ruger Blackhawk 45LC with the ACP cylinder, I'll have to watch for this. I have a few 45acps that I just take the barrel out of and test each round to see which ones drop in and which don't. My Sig-220 duty gun is NOT ammo sensitive but the Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Taurus 1911, and the Springfield Armory Match Gun with Barsto Barrel are all choosy to a certain degree. The Taurus most of all. I first check reloads with the Dillon Gauge while I'm reloading, then the barrel check before I take the ammo to the range with the guns.

Guess before I take the Ruger down, I'll set the cylinder on the bench and drop check each round as well. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:53 pm

I have been using the cylinder for a gage and checking the rounds by measuring them. Seems to be working.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:22 am

Carver wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:53 pm
I have been using the cylinder for a gage and checking the rounds by measuring them. Seems to be working.
Great and hope the info helps with your loading! I have a Ruger NM Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt with the 45 ACP cylinder but rarely shoot 45 ACP thru it.
Have some of that 45 Cowboy Special brass that you load up using 45 ACP load data which allows using the 45 Colt cylinder along with crimp style bullets.
0 x