Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Loading 45 apc for a revolver

All things reloading here
Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Loading 45 apc for a revolver

Post by Carver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:38 am

I just bought a Ruger revolver 45 apc but am having problems with the reloads some fit and some don’t. I have tried to factory crimp them with a lee crimp die but in order to get them to fit all the way into the cylinder I have to really use just about a maximum crimp. I don’t understand as some of my reloads fit fine and some don’t. Any suggestions? I have measured them used a case gage and they all fit fine.
0 x

JVogler
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Loading 45 apc for a revolver

Post by JVogler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:14 am

What size bullet did you use? Was it oversized ? I had a problem with a brand of 9mm bullets, bought the Lee sizing kit for $25. I now lightly coat bullets with lube and run them through the sizing die. That seemed to solve a large portion of assembling my 9mm loads. I was gauging them with a multi caliber Lyman cartridge checker and they a!I fit okay but when I used the 9mm cylinder from a Blackhawk convertible 2 specific chambers were the real test.If my rounds fit those 2 ,now marked cylinder, they work in my brothers S &W NO Sheild.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Check the throat size in the cylinder. Ruger 45 Colt/45 Auto threats are notorious for running small. Ruger specs them for jacketed bullets, not lead, plus it's not at all unusual for throat sizes to vary a lot in the same cylinder.
1 x

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:15 pm

I think I got it figured out. I have a a Lee Manual and found a load for 45 amp using Accurate 2 w/ 5.2 - 5.8 grains and using 200 gr copper plated bullets with an OAL. 1.190 This load has worked, with no problems. With the shorter OAL and factory crimp problem seems to be fixed. Thanks for the help.
0 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Sun May 05, 2024 3:09 pm

I ran into a similar problem with a new Blackhawk 45 convertible I just bought. Factory ammo easily dropped in to all six chambers but I had problems with sticky cases with some Federal 230gr HST and Punch rounds in three of the chambers. Cases stuck bad enough in one chamber that I had to remove the cylinder and use a small wooden dowel to knock it out. I also found some of my 230 gr .451 Berry's plated FMJs and .452 SnS coated lead round nose hand loads would not seat fully.

My solution had two steps - recrimp my rounds and polish the cylinder chambers. Even though I had used a Lee Factory crimp die and followed their directions, about half of my reloads had case diameters about .0010" larger than factory ammo. I increased the crimp to match the smaller factory rounds and resized all my reloads. They then easily dropped into three of the chambers but still took some extra pressure to fully seat in the sticky ones.

Like North Country Gal mentioned, I was aware of the Ruger undersized cylinder chamber and throat problems. The 45 Colt cylinder is going to get reamed to .4525 so I can use .452 bullets in it. Since I only plan on using .451 diameter jacketed and plated bullets in the 45 ACP cylinder, I decided to polish just the chambers and leave the throats alone. I already had some 320 abrasive paste, so I drilled and tapped a once fired 45 ACP case for a 1/4"-20 screw and bolt for initial polishing. I also ordered an 800 grit 45 ACP Flex Hone and oil from amazon for final polishing.

While waiting the two days for amazon to deliver the Flex Hone, I did a rough polish on all the chambers with the brass case and 320 abrasive, adding a little extra attention to the sticky ones. Once I got the Flex Hone, I did a final polish on all the chambers until my reloads dropped into each chamber without resistance. I made sure to only do the chambers and not the throats. After test firing, both factory and reloaded rounds now eject smoothly.

Sounds like you already found a fix. But if you ever want to use longer 230 gr bullets in the future, you might consider polishing the chambers. I normally use Brownells for tools like Flex Hone bits, but Amazon now carries them and delivery is quicker.

Regards,
Pete

My homemade brass shell casing polishing bit and abrasive for rough polishing. And the 800 grit Flex Hone and oil for final polishing.

This picture shows the chambers after the 320 abrasive. You can still see some tool marks in them. After the 800 grit Flex Home, the top right chamber shows almost no tool marks.

And of course, mandatory picture or the gun doesn't exist.
1 x