Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Loading 45 apc for a revolver

All things reloading here
Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Loading 45 apc for a revolver

Post by Carver » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:38 am

I just bought a Ruger revolver 45 apc but am having problems with the reloads some fit and some don’t. I have tried to factory crimp them with a lee crimp die but in order to get them to fit all the way into the cylinder I have to really use just about a maximum crimp. I don’t understand as some of my reloads fit fine and some don’t. Any suggestions? I have measured them used a case gage and they all fit fine.
0 x

JVogler
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Loading 45 apc for a revolver

Post by JVogler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:14 am

What size bullet did you use? Was it oversized ? I had a problem with a brand of 9mm bullets, bought the Lee sizing kit for $25. I now lightly coat bullets with lube and run them through the sizing die. That seemed to solve a large portion of assembling my 9mm loads. I was gauging them with a multi caliber Lyman cartridge checker and they a!I fit okay but when I used the 9mm cylinder from a Blackhawk convertible 2 specific chambers were the real test.If my rounds fit those 2 ,now marked cylinder, they work in my brothers S &W NO Sheild.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Check the throat size in the cylinder. Ruger 45 Colt/45 Auto threats are notorious for running small. Ruger specs them for jacketed bullets, not lead, plus it's not at all unusual for throat sizes to vary a lot in the same cylinder.
1 x

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:15 pm

I think I got it figured out. I have a a Lee Manual and found a load for 45 amp using Accurate 2 w/ 5.2 - 5.8 grains and using 200 gr copper plated bullets with an OAL. 1.190 This load has worked, with no problems. With the shorter OAL and factory crimp problem seems to be fixed. Thanks for the help.
0 x