Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rifle Case Trim

All things reloading here
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Rifle Case Trim

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:45 am

I can’t respond to your question about trim tolerances but I will chime in on new brass. Recently I purchased a 250 pack of Starling 300 BO brass and checked the length on all pieces. 100% of them were .001 - .002 under “trim to” length. This surprised me as I would have expected Starling to produce the brass to trim to length. Not a big deal but interesting just the same.
1 x

NHshtr
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Rifle Case Trim

Post by NHshtr » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:05 pm

Starline makes good brass. Whenever production machinery is used to cut an item, not all pieces will be cut to the exact same length. Hence, we work with tolerances. .001" to .002" variation is very good for brass. As I've indicated, I've found commercial brass with much wider variation in length in loaded ammo.
I don't know what the widest variation is that can exist before it begins to negatively affect the performance of the ammo.
Hence I stick with +/- .003". I find that keeps my loaded ammo performance consistent. I was looking to see if other reloaders used a wider or more narrow tolerance when they trim and why.
If after cleaning and full length resizing, I find, say a .308 Win case with a case trim length spec of 2.005" to be 2.009", I'll trim it. If I find one to be 2.007" I won't. Would you do the same?
0 x