PorkBarrel
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Loading FTX Bullets

Post by PorkBarrel » Fri May 05, 2023 8:42 am

Mags wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:56 pm
From another forum.

"The FTX rubber tip needs the shorter case because it would otherwise have to be seated below the cannelure"
Mystery solved !
1 x

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pitchman1968 » Sat May 06, 2023 7:00 pm

Hello PorkBarrel,

I have a Marlin model 1895 CB in .45-70; that's the one with the 26" barrel holding 10 rounds in the tubular magazine. I have reloaded the 325 gr FTX LVR bullet for that rifle with good results. BTW. Lee has a custom case length gage for the trimming to the 2.040"required length. Interestingly, at 100 yds, the FTX bullet produced the most accurate results I have experienced among all the bullet types i use in re-loading .45-70.
I planned on using the FTX bullet for Maine moose hunting because I wanted a flatter shooting bullet than standard jacketed bullets. However, I began hearing that FTX bullets expand too rapidly when hitting a bull moose's shoulder bone resulting in a wounded animal rather than a dead one. As long as my eyes and rifle scope give me the opportunity for a one shot kill on large animals, I will continue hunting. One I lose that ability, I will hang-up the hunting boots and will solely be a "range guy".
2 x

PorkBarrel
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by PorkBarrel » Sun May 07, 2023 11:04 am

Luckily I had a RCBS hand lathe but had to make another collet for the 45-70 shell. Attached a 1/2" drill and the brass chips were flying! Only trimmed 30 for now as the new brass is still hard to come by. We did find some on DiamondKBrass tho. We are still waiting for the snow to melt to go out and test. Maybe next week!
0 x