Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lee auto drum powder measure

All things reloading here
Stets
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Lee auto drum powder measure

Post by Stets » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:16 pm

For the price, this thing is pretty dang accurate. My chief complaint is, it leaks fine grain powder all over my turret press. Anyone know of a solution? I've taken it apart and cleaned it as good as I can, still leaks..
0 x
Don't listen to people that say you don't need more guns and ammo. No one needs that kind of negativity in their lives!!

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Lee auto drum powder measure

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:32 pm

I only reload .357 mag and .38 special calibers.

My Lee Perfect Powder Measure leaks H110 powder, too. So, I don't bother with it for .357 magnum 158 gr JSP/JHP reloads.

Instead, I fashioned a dipper from a 9mm case that I trimmed down a bit so it nearly always drops 13.9 gr of H110 into my scale pan. Occasionally, I'll need to remove a few flakes or trickle in a few more, but that's easy enough. I faithfully weigh every round to exactly 13.9 grains.

The Lee powder measure is surprisingly accurate with Universal, Unique, and HP-38, which I use for .38 caliber and .357 Mag 125 JHP/JSP reloads. But I still weigh the powder charge for each round and occasionally still need to adjust it by adding or subtracting a bit to get to the intended weight.

I only shoot reloads and always use the same recipe(s) for both my rifle and my revolvers. I like to keep it simple. I use a Lee Single Stage Press.

I've read that some folks have had success sealing leaks in their powder measures by finely and evenly lapping the adjoining surfaces of the plastic moving parts. I've never considered doing it, though.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"