Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45 Colt Brass Bulged at Base

All things reloading here
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

45 Colt Brass Bulged at Base

Post by Headhog » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:00 pm

Yesterday, while working out the bugs of a reloading press modification, I came across a some 45 Colt brass that wound not fit into my press shell plate. This brass came to me from a friend back in the fall and was part of a group of about 300 fired cases. I loaded up 100 rounds and put these cases to the side.

Just to see if my shell plate might be out of spec., I tried these cases in the shell holder that came with the dies. Same problem. Below are some pictures that show the problem. The first picture shows 3 cases and you can see the base area that is impacted. The base is about .004-.005" over spec. of 0.480".
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 660 times

Second picture shows how far the case will fit into a shell holder.
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 660 times

This brass is either UMC, REM-UMC or Western. I sure that had nothing to do with the problem since other brass with the same head stamp reloaded just fine.
IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 660 times

This batch of brass contained Starline also, but none of those showed this bulge. My guess is someone created and fired some hot 45 Colt loads and that caused this problem. Just for the fun of it, I tried to see if any of these case would chamber in my 45 Colt guns. They did fit in my two rifles, but would not fit the cylinder of my Ruger Blackhawk. Before I toss this brass into the scrap can, I'm looking for thoughts/suggestions on what to do. Right now it's only 23 cases from this batch, but I may have missed one or two.

Paul
0 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: 45 Colt Brass Bulged at Base

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:48 pm

IT"S NOT A BULGE........It won't fit because it not a REBATED rim........No place for the shell holder to go.........Are those foreign made cases?
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:16 pm

That rim/groove area does not look like any of my .45 Colt brass. Those look like OLD style .45 Colt brass. Really old. That's my guess.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:20 pm

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:48 pm
IT"S NOT A BULGE........It won't fit because it not a REBATED rim........No place for the shell holder to go.........Are those foreign made cases?
45 colt cases are not rebated.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:33 pm

Headhog wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:00 pm
... My guess is someone created and fired some hot 45 Colt loads and that caused this problem. ... Before I toss this brass into the scrap can, I'm looking for thoughts/suggestions on what to do. Right now it's only 23 cases from this batch, but I may have missed one or two.

Paul
I think that is a good guess. Maybe over charged. I had this problem with a dozen Winchester 45 Colt cases. My own doing. I was trying to increase 45 colt loads to a point where the ammo would fire without leaving black flash burn on the outside of the cases. With those dozen cases I went too far. On the next attempt to reload, those 12 would not fit the case holder. I was able to work them in and believe I resolved further usage with full case length resizing. We'll see next time.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:04 pm

Mags wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:33 pm
Headhog wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:00 pm
... My guess is someone created and fired some hot 45 Colt loads and that caused this problem. ... Before I toss this brass into the scrap can, I'm looking for thoughts/suggestions on what to do. Right now it's only 23 cases from this batch, but I may have missed one or two.

Paul
On the next attempt to reload, those 12 would not fit the case holder. I was able to work them in and believe I resolved further usage with full case length resizing. We'll see next time.
I may try this same route since I already know they will fit my rifle chambers. I guess with a little effort I can get them in the shell holder. I just suspect the sizing die will not get low enough to take the entire bulge out. Anyway it will be a fun experiment.

Paul
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:03 pm

I do not see an extractor groove on those three cases. None.
1 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:55 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:03 pm
I do not see an extractor groove on those three cases. None.
RT you are correct. I've been doing some more reading on these cases and they are balloon head cases. Seems that the extractor groove wasn't added until the manufactures went to a modern solid head case. The extractor grove is for rifles with and allows the extractor to get a better purchase on the small case rim.

Since these are balloon head cases that means they are much weaker in the case head area. This is fine if you are loading with black powder and pressures it develops. Loading these case with smokeless should also be fine also, as long as you stay within standard 45 Colt load data. Loading these case with the Ruger high-pressure load data may result in a case head separation.

I'm guessing that my cases, that will not fit the case holder, may have been weakened. At some point these cases may fail even with standard load pressures. In a revolver a case head separation may not be too serious since the recoil shield will direct the gasses to the side. In a rifle the gasses could follow the bolt backwards into the shooters face.

I looked over my reloads and only found 3 without the extractor groove. I put them to the side for shooting in my Ruger Blackhawk. If I find anymore, I'll either scrap them or save them for someone the reloads with black powder only.

Paul
1 x