All things reloading here
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Leverevolution Powder Questions

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:12 am

Vaquero wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:02 pm
I really enjoy your posts with your rifle pictures and target results. Keep em coming.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:54 am

Thanks Mags, I appreciate the kind words.
My phone took a crash this past year and I lost quite a few of my target pics. :evil:

As it has been mentioned, LVR is a temp. sensitive powder.
When shooting the MX during the hot summer months, I use the CFE loads more often.
But, myself I've not really had an issue, but knew others that did.
5shot, thanks for the info on the 748, I didn't it was a temp. sensitive powder.
I guess most of my usage with it has been in the cooler months.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:49 am

Funny how a conversation twists and turns, but this "temp stability vs instability" is interesting stuff to me. In my '06 bolt rifle, I've used the same rounds from 85+ deg. temps during deer season, down to 18 deg. temps for elk hunts. And never gave it much thought. Either of those hunts that season never became a stability issue, because I never had the opportunity to pull a trigger. :roll: ;)

Since I typically find accuracy in various guns BEFORE I get up to any sorta max load, it's probably not much of a concern for me. Also, I've always strived to keep shots short, even if meant not filling a tag. The stalk part of a hunt is much more fun to me, vs. long range shooting -type scenarios. Hence my new devotion to carrying a lever .30-30 for my hunts this year. With my self imposed limits of using iron sights, it's mandatory that I keep my shots at close range. I'd hope that at these short ranges with a well-below-maximum charge, a shifting point of impact (due to temps/pressure) wouldn't be a problem.

I did find a sorta relevant and interesting post by some guys on a long-range shooting message board. These guys get pretty scientific, making extensive use of chronographs and their data. But posts #6 thru #10 are somewhat relevant to our yakkin' here......

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/th ... n.7102847/

Back more on subject, my goal here is to try and find a good, accurate load with either LVR powder, or Win. 748 that will be just fast enough for the 170 Hornady bullet to give good terminal performance. While I've had great luck with the few Elk I've shot with my .30-06 at short ranges, Elk are very tough critters. I've been on one miserable hunt trying to track what was supposed to be a "well-hit" elk with a long shot from a Remington 7mm Mag. We followed this bull up a mountain for over a mile, finding spotty blood now and then, until we were in butt deep snow, and ran outta daylight. The elk just kept going, and we lost that bull. My cousin & I got lost walking back, and it was a really cold, long hike for us until we found the road near 11 pm. I'd rather not repeat that scenario again if I can help it. I'm too old for that crap. :mrgreen:

Some would say "Just carry the '06, and quit worrying.". I get that, but I really enjoy the .30-30 and the rifle for it. Several older guys in my gun club have killed Elk with the .30-30. It just needs to be on ".30-30 terms". I didn't wanna beat myself up with a .45-70 (due to fairly recent rotator cuff surgery in right shoulder), and no used ones were available to me locally that I liked when I was shopping late last summer. So, I really wanna enjoy the .30-30, even if it might not be what some consider enough gun.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:00 pm

I had kinda decided I wouldn't shoot reloads for awhile in the interest of not wanting to "waste" reloading components until after I got my cataracts fixed. But the way the Dr. has the surgeries and 2 post-op appointments for each eye, the last eye won't be done until just a few days before hunting season. I dunno why I worry about this, because both of my eyes are usually shut when I shoot, but...... :geek: :shock: I couldn't keep myself away from my messy loading bench, so I broke my promise to myself to not shoot reloads for awhile. I've been playing with different powders (Win. 748 and LEVERevolution), different charges of those, and 2 different Hornady .30-30 bullets (170gr FP & 150gr RN). Hornadys are not a bad bullet at all, and they're basically all I've been able to find locally. I'd love to try some Sierra 30-30 bullets, or Speer, or maybe even Nosler. But I simply can't find any on a shelf close to home. So, Hornadys are it for now..... ;)

Short version is this:

With the bullets, powders, and components I have to work with, my "new" H009BG rifle seems to do okay with 150 grain bullets, and LVR powder. My steel H009 seems like it prefers 170s, with Win 748 at a 32 gr. charge weight.

Today's range trip netted these groups with a Hornady #3035 150gr bullet, a LVR charge of 36.5 grains, and a Remington 9 & 1/2 Large Rifle Magnum Primer. Even though I've been taught NOT to mix brands of cases, they were mixed bunch anyway, using Hornady, Federal, & Remington brass. It's all a big experiment....... :shock:

At 25 yards:

IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG (4.53 MiB) Viewed 750 times

There are actually only 4 shots from this group; one of the target pasters at 5 o'clock fell off, making it look as if I fired 5 shots. I guess this about a one inch group???? :?

And then at 100 yards:

IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG (5.39 MiB) Viewed 750 times

I was really happy with this group. I have never shot a better group at 100 yds. with open sights (Skinner peep in back, and a Skinner brass Patridge post up front). It measured around 1.7" with my calipers. It's a few inches to the conservative right of center at a hunnert, but that's just my political leaning there, I think. :lol:

I'm planning on loading up some more of these and hopeful it can be duplicated, or somewhat close. If so, this will likely be the recipe I settle on. And if I can duplicate these groups again, as friends and family, I want y'all to call BS on me if/when I pull the "Old Cataract Eyes/Iron Sights" card again. :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: :shock:
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:53 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:00 pm
... Hornady #3035 150gr bullet, a LVR charge of 36.5 grains, ... Even though I've been taught NOT to mix brands of cases, they were mixed bunch anyway,
Same recipe here. Though I'm not real happy with the amount of copper build up from the #3035 bullets. I have a bunch of reloads with CFE223 (36.5gr) ready to test to see if that reduces copper build up. My .30-30 brass is mixed brands as well.

Good shooting results there. So no more excuses on the eyes.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:27 am

Mags wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:53 pm
Same recipe here. Though I'm not real happy with the amount of copper build up from the #3035 bullets. I have a bunch of reloads with CFE223 (36.5gr) ready to test to see if that reduces copper build up. My .30-30 brass is mixed brands as well.

Good shooting results there. So no more excuses on the eyes.
I did indeed pull my charge level of LEVERevolution from a post by you above, as well as couple of other places on the interwebs. But I'm really grateful you posted that above. It helped me a bunch, especially since Hornady listed no loads for their 150gr. bullet using LEVERevolution. Be anxious to hear how the CFE223 works out for copper buildup for ya. Isn't that a currently a "hard-to-get" powder??

Yeah, I almost thought about not posting this after all my whining about my cataracts, hee hee. Thanks for the "tough love" there, Mags!!! That's appreciated even more! :)
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:01 am

Don't know if you saw my post the other day about the Speer 170 gr Hot cor's?
But Midsouth Shooter Supply has or had some of those for sale at $29.60 per 100.
I've used both those and the Sierra 170 Pro hunters with great results in accuracy and performance.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:16 pm

Geez, Randy, wish I'd seen that! I just ordered a couple pounds of powder from those guys a few days ago, and that was my "discretionary spending" for the month, hee hee. :lol: If I can, I might play the "Father's Day Gift for myself" card, and try for a hundred of those. My Steel H009G likes the 170s.......

And thanks for the opinion on the Hot Cors. I really like it when someone can report on bullet performance. ;)
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:36 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:27 am
... Be anxious to hear how the CFE223 works out for copper buildup for ya. Isn't that a currently a "hard-to-get" powder??
Maybe. What I have I bought a while back. I did see a pound on the shelf at Sportsmans yesterday.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:17 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:27 am
...[CFE223] Isn't that a currently a "hard-to-get" powder??
Update. Was back in the Sportsmans neighborhood yesterday. Bought more Large Pistol Primers and checked on the CFE223. There was at least 6 1lb bottles on the shelf.
0 x