Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to reloading. Have some questions.

All things reloading here
deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

New to reloading. Have some questions.

Post by deano5150 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:22 pm

I started reloading 357 magnum recently. I’m using a Lee Precision hand press and die kit. My goal is to load inexpensive, accurate target rounds for plinking and shooting paper. I began with Hornady 158gr XTP bullets and was able to get 3/4in groups with peep sights using my Henry BBSC (when I did my part). The best two loads used 11.4 grains and 13.3 grains of Alliant 2400. I’m still trying to figure out which load is more accurate. Apparently, my marksmanship is not consistent. :lol: Here are my questions:

1. I have purchased 1000 Berry’s 158gr plated flat nose bullets because they are considerably less expensive and will suit my purposes. I can’t find any specific load data on them. Do you think I’m safe to use the same powder and grains that I used with the XTP bullets? I did use Hornady’s load data and stopped short of using the max load.

2. How important/necessary is it to lube the cases?

3. How important/necessary is it to clean the cases? I have about 1200 rounds of once fired brass.

So far I have loaded 90 rounds without cleaning or lubing and haven’t had any issues. I’m really enjoying the reloading process. Thanks in advance for your advice.
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: New to reloading. Have some questions.

Post by runnin n gunnin » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:17 pm

Hey 5150 (your not !),
You will get some great advice on the forum here from the OG's that have hand loaded for a day or two. It sounds like you are off to a great start.
I also load 38/357 from my Henry. As time goes on you will slowly start upgrading dies and equipment as you see fit. Things like carbide dies help with not having to lube all the time, however, even though I have carbide dies, I still use Hornady/s lube spray when resizing.

1) I de-prime all my cases first (I am not resizing at this point , only de-priming).
2) I then always clean my cases, no matter the caliber (pistol, revolver, rifle). I have used a sonic cleaner for years, and have just received a wet tumbler for Xmas that I am going to start using.
3) Lay out the brass, spray with a light spray of lube, then resize, prime, drop powder, seat the bullet and crimp.

So my go to for plinking, paper, steel for the .357 is the Missouri Bullet 180 grain striker that uses the Hi-Tek extreme coating. The Hi-Tek coating really helps reduce leading in the barrel.

I also am a big fan of 2400, especially in the Henry. I have experimented with different load, and my best results and go to load for the Henry is 10.8 grains of 2400. It chronos at 1428 FPS with a 20 FPS maximum spread. (See below picture), at 50 yards with iron sights.
String #6.jpg
String #6.jpg (269.4 KiB) Viewed 675 times

Let us know how the berry/s works for you. A lot of folks here use berries as well as Missouri bullets, in fact I was steered to Missouri Bullets by Rifle Tom, Vaquero and some others. It was great advice and I have been shooting them in all calibers, including my 45/70 Henry for the past couple of years with great results.

By the way, I shoot a lot of Hornady FTX bullets in my 9mm, .223 and for my Python. Great rounds.
3 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:22 pm

1. No you can't use the same load data for a Berry's plated bullet as a Hornady XTP bullet. The Berry's bullets are just plated with a thin copper wash and need to be treated as lead bullets. So you will need to look for lead bullet loads.

2. Since you are using Lee dies you should have a carbide sizer die and they require no case lube.

3. I always clean my cases before reloading. When I first started reloading I simply took and old towel and removed the dirt and grit from the cases. Several years later I started to media tumble (vibrate) my cases and still do today (some 40 years later). Clean cases will prolong the life of you dies.

Paul
4 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:42 pm

Let me correct what I said about Berry's plated bullets. I see Berry's now offers two options for their bullets: a standard plating which is rated to not exceed 1250 fps, and a thick plating (TP) which is rated for up to 1500 fps. So depending on which Berry's bullet you have you may be just fine following the same recipe as the XTP bullets. Check which bullets you have and go from there.

Paul
3 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:06 pm

I have very good accuracy in my Henry BBS .357 with the 158 gr. Hornady XTP JHP bullets over 14.5 grains of 2400. My chronograph clocks them at 1640 fps - 1680 fps from the 20" barrel. Recoil is not noticeable. Same load in my Ruger Blackhawk with 6.5" barrel clocks around 1325 fps.
2 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:46 pm

In these days of $40+ per lb of powder you might try a lighter charges of something with a faster burn rate. 2400 is a great powder for upper midrange to full power loads but for target and ringing steel plates it might be overkill. A few I'd suggest are Unique, Power Pistol, HS6 or a number of others in that burn rate. Consult a manual for loads but 5 to 5 1/2 gr. of Unique or Power Pistol under that 158 gr. bullet will put you in the 1100 fps range with plenty of horsepower to punch paper or ring steel with less noise and fuss and...less $$ and longer brass life.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:01 pm

Do you really want to ram dirty nasty cases into your expensive finely crafted dies?

I didn’t think so. I always clean cases before reloading any caliber. Clean straight walled cases can be processed with no lube at all, into a CARBIDE die. Bottle neck cartridges always need lube. I strongly recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die as a final step after seating the bullet, it gives much better results this way. It resizes each round all the way to the base, so you don't have any weird ones that won’t chamber correctly.

https://leeprecision.com/carbide-facto ... 8-357.html

If you want cleaning suggestions, ask away.

John Davies
Spokane WA
3 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I will have to look harder for better load data for the Berry’s. As for powder, I have 2lbs of the 2400 so I will use that up before trying something else. After tax it set me back $59/lb. I guess the only upside to that is I bought it locally and didn’t have to pay Hazmat shipping for it. If I’ve done my math right, I can reload 50 rounds for about $18.50. I do have the carbide die set with the factory crimp die included. I got a really nice crimp on the last rounds I loaded. Being impatient, I went ahead and loaded 15ea of the Berry’s at 11.4gr and 13.3gr. OAL is just slightly less than max and crimps are good. I don’t know the plating thickness of the bullets. The Ioads I’m using are rated 1050fps and 1150fps with the 158gr XTP. I don’t know how that translates to the Berry’s. I was planning on shooting these rounds Thursday. Does any of this sound unsafe? As you can tell, I have a lot to learn.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:07 pm

deano5150 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:22 pm
... The best two loads used 11.4 grains and 13.3 grains of Alliant 2400. I’m still trying to figure out which load is more accurate. Apparently, my marksmanship is not consistent. ...
I'm curious about the source of the load data you're using.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:07 am

deano5150 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:42 pm
The Ioads I’m using are rated 1050fps and 1150fps with the 158gr XTP. I don’t know how that translates to the Berry’s.
Those are handgun velocities. The 13.3 gr load in a rifle will probably be 1500+fps.
1 x