All things reloading here
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: RCBS Shortcomings

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:23 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:20 am
I'm more than a bit surprised by reports of powder charge accuracy issues .... we've been and still are using a manual Uniflow Powder Measure that came in a RCBS Rock Chucker Combo purchased back in the mid 60's .... it has 2 drums and a baffle in the hopper .... no clue how many tens if not hundreds of thousands powder charges it has dropped .... with our hunting loads we weigh and where necessary adjust each round .... over time we've used about every type of powder and don't recall any major issues
The issue here is with small measures, not the larger ones used in hunting rounds.

The Rock Chucker kit I bought included the Uniflow, but did not include the 2nd drum nor the baffle. I'm counting on the small measure drum we've purchased to remedy the small measure accuracy problems. Assuming it does, I would expect to see similar results, accurate ("tens if not hundreds of thousands powder charges").

Prior to tinkering with 380 loads, the smallest drop with the 'standard' drum', I was making was about 5gr up to the largest 37ish. No noticeable accuracy issues with it in that range.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:33 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:37 pm
I found (and ordered) the small drum from Primos Hunting here:
https://www.primos.com/priming-and-powd ... -9004.html

... I guess the Uniflow just works better with some powders and charge weights than others,...
Goes to what John Davies was saying about the ball powders.
Another thanks to Rifletom's info on the drum and baffle!

Side note, primos.com is part of the RCBS brand family.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:42 am

I use mostly Lee dies, I have one set of RCBS dies. Guess which one I couldn't get to work properly? RCBS CS was useless. They just had me redo the setup I had done at least 4 or 5 times already, and take a few measurements I had already looked at. In the end they half heartedly said I could send it in and they would look at it. A new Lee die that fixed the problem was probably cheaper than shipping back to RCBS.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:25 am

Understanding that the small cylinder for the Uniflow will most likely fix the small charge problem here is another solution. The RCBS Lil Dandy pistol powder measure. I had one of these for quite a while but sold it when I got my electric powder dropper. The downside is the need to purchase different rotors for different charges as they do not adjust but that is what makes them so accurate. Just another option for all to consider. Quite frankly I was surprised the find RCBS still makes them, seems like everything from the old days is gone.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder ... 86040.html
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:18 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:25 am
Understanding that the small cylinder for the Uniflow will most likely fix the small charge problem here is another solution. The RCBS Lil Dandy pistol powder measure. I had one of these for quite a while but sold it when I got my electric powder dropper. The downside is the need to purchase different rotors for different charges as they do not adjust but that is what makes them so accurate. Just another option for all to consider. Quite frankly I was surprised the find RCBS still makes them, ...

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder ... 86040.html
The little Dandy does look like another option. Looks like it is on sale too, couple bucks more than the small cylinder. The rotors are $9 a piece though and powder specific for any given charge. So powder could be another expense if one doesn't already have the powder for that rotor.

Rotor chart download https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... uc26G6jtr3
... seems like everything from the old days is gone.
The reason I decided not wait on purchase of the small cylinder.

I also notice that the newer mechanical measures include the baffle and supposedly better metering at the small measure end. Specifically the 'Quick Change' and 'Competition' models.
0 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

New Small Cylinder for Uniflow II

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:22 pm

Got my smaller drum/cylinder for my Uniflow II powder throw from RCBS today. Went right to work on gettin' it installed and put to use.

First, I have to give Kudos to Rifletom for mentioning this smaller cylinder was even "a thing". I had no idea that RCBS made a small charge cylinder for the ole Uniflow II. Also, thanks for the help from John Davies for mentioning to use a sperical powder instead of the flake type powders. Great advice. I just wish I could take advantage of it, for my handgun reloads anyways. I pretty much only have very old Bullseye and Hodgdon's Universal powders on hand. Neither of these are what I consider "wonderful" metering powders, especially the Universal.

But with the small charges (2.8 grains of Bullseye) for my .380 ACP, it worked SO MUCH better than the same powder throw did with the larger cylinder. Bullseye still doesn't meter as well as Win 231 did for me in my Dillon 650, but with the new cylinder, it managed to pretty much stay mostly within +/- a tenth of a grain of my desired 2.8 grains. And it did it much more reliably than with the bigger cylinder. For me, this is acceptable for some ammo I just wanna plink away with using a short barreled handgun. I loaded up 50 rounds of .380 with 95 grain Lead Round Nose bullets tonight. After spending some time to get it dialed in to my 2.8 grain target, I checked the charge on my scales after every 5 rounds. As said above, it held within the width of the lines on my RCBS beam scale up or down from the alignment lines. Probably around a tenth or so of deviation?

Mags mentioned using this smaller drum for the "bigger" charges used for our .30-30s, so I used it for 12 rounds of .30-30. Using Winchester 748, the small cylinder seems to meter as well as the bigger one I've used forever. This 748 is just a really fine metering powder. Hodgdon's H335 was close to how the Winchester meters, but had slightly more deviation. Not enough t worry about though.

So far, I'm happy with this powder throw for now. With the help from here and the smaller cylinder gizzie, it works much more reliably for my pistol powders I currently have on hand.

My really old school reloading stuff........

IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG (3.88 MiB) Viewed 489 times
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New Small Cylinder for Uniflow II

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:08 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:22 pm
Got my smaller drum/cylinder for my Uniflow II powder throw from RCBS today. ....
The small charge cylinder I ordered hasn't arrived yet. I did receive the baffle.
I do have #2 and #5 that JohnDavies mentioned, so I can check them out as well as a couple other powers I have. I have some doubts though about how well #2 and #5 will measure out at the small end after looking at the LittleDandy Rotor Charge table. Not recommended. We'll see. Glad to see confirmation the small cylinder works out for the .30-30 loads. I'll be checking Leverevolution and I4895.
0 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:26 am

Is Leverevolution a spherical powder? H4895 is a stick (extruded?) powder, right? Be interesting to see how those one meter with the smaller cylinder.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:41 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:26 am
Is Leverevolution a spherical powder? H4895 is a stick (extruded?) powder, right? Be interesting to see how those one meter with the smaller cylinder.
Lever is spherical. I have IMR4895. I think it is extruded. I haven't opened the bottle. I would expect it to measure OK (31.5-33.5) for .30-30 150gr bullet. We'll see.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: New Small Cylinder for Uniflow II

Post by Rifletom » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:38 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:22 pm
Got my smaller drum/cylinder for my Uniflow II powder throw from RCBS today. Went right to work on gettin' it installed and put to use.

First, I have to give Kudos to Rifletom for mentioning this smaller cylinder was even "a thing". I had no idea that RCBS made a small charge cylinder for the ole Uniflow II. Also, thanks for the help from John Davies for mentioning to use a sperical powder instead of the flake type powders. Great advice. I just wish I could take advantage of it, for my handgun reloads anyways. I pretty much only have very old Bullseye and Hodgdon's Universal powders on hand. Neither of these are what I consider "wonderful" metering powders, especially the Universal.

But with the small charges (2.8 grains of Bullseye) for my .380 ACP, it worked SO MUCH better than the same powder throw did with the larger cylinder. Bullseye still doesn't meter as well as Win 231 did for me in my Dillon 650, but with the new cylinder, it managed to pretty much stay mostly within +/- a tenth of a grain of my desired 2.8 grains. And it did it much more reliably than with the bigger cylinder. For me, this is acceptable for some ammo I just wanna plink away with using a short barreled handgun. I loaded up 50 rounds of .380 with 95 grain Lead Round Nose bullets tonight. After spending some time to get it dialed in to my 2.8 grain target, I checked the charge on my scales after every 5 rounds. As said above, it held within the width of the lines on my RCBS beam scale up or down from the alignment lines. Probably around a tenth or so of deviation?

Mags mentioned using this smaller drum for the "bigger" charges used for our .30-30s, so I used it for 12 rounds of .30-30. Using Winchester 748, the small cylinder seems to meter as well as the bigger one I've used forever. This 748 is just a really fine metering powder. Hodgdon's H335 was close to how the Winchester meters, but had slightly more deviation. Not enough t worry about though.

So far, I'm happy with this powder throw for now. With the help from here and the smaller cylinder gizzie, it works much more reliably for my pistol powders I currently have on hand.

My really old school reloading stuff........

IMG_0428.JPG

I have one of those older cans of Hercules 2400. Still good! Glad the small drum worked for your needs.
1 x