RCBS Shortcomings

All things reloading here
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: RCBS Shortcomings

Post by 220 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:52 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:26 am
One other tip, I average ten throws when adjusting the Uni-Flow. That takes care of the slight variations. Since I am math impaired, it is easy to just drop the last digit to calculate the average figure.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Some good advice, I do likewise throwing 10 charges and taking an average and adjusting the thrower on the average.
I also run a small drum, some variation is to be expected but with very light charges you should be able to hold it within 0.1gr. Yes you dont want to be to gentle in operation but the real secret is consistency and operating the handle with the same force and speed each time. A baffle also helps although regularly topping up the hopper to keep the powder level consistent also helps.
3 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

New Small Cylinder for Uniflow II

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:33 am

On the subject of the small drum for an RCBS Uniflow II, I was kinda pleasantly surprised to come across this video from GunBlue490:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGaPv_3oWQ&t=1928s

I'll warn some folks that his videos tend to be kinda long, but he always makes some very good points based on numbers, and experience. I personally really like learning from this guy.

He happens to be working with the same powder measure I have, and mentions that he likes the small drum the best. He feels it's more accurate and repeatable than the large cylinder I previously had in my measure.

He also goes into the numbers of how a tenth of a grain (or more) really has very little affect on where a bullet impacts at various distances. I'd guess that a coupla tenths variation up or down in a case with the capacity of, say, a .30-30, wouldn't change the outcome of shots at "open sight" (or longer) distances. Shooting out in the field likely gives us more variables than a grain or so of powder could ever change (especially with ME pullin' the trigger).

Just more food for thought........ :)
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:28 am

220 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:52 pm
Yes you dont want to be to gentle in operation but the real secret is consistency and operating the handle with the same force and speed each time. A baffle also helps although regularly topping up the hopper to keep the powder level consistent also helps.
BINGO!!
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:04 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:28 am
220 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:52 pm
Yes you dont want to be to gentle in operation but the real secret is consistency and operating the handle with the same force and speed each time. A baffle also helps although regularly topping up the hopper to keep the powder level consistent also helps.
BINGO!!
Again, with very small measures this does not help with inconsistencies using the standard cylinder.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:42 pm

Loaded 24 rounds of .30-30 with 33 grains of Win 748 and Hornady 170 flat points this afternoon, using the new (small) cylinder. I weighed each charge with my RCBS beam-type scale. I guess I have "commitment and trust issues" when it comes to building faith in a sorta new-to-me reloading process. After getting the powder charge set, the scale never varied more than the width of the narrow marks on the stationary scale base and the mark on the beam. Very stinkin' tiny, insignificant amounts of variation of the powder charges. But this new setup was really consistent and repeatable today. Seemed to behave the same with my small amount of 2.8 grains of Bullseye for my .380 as well. I'm likin' it. :)
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:20 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:42 pm
Loaded 24 rounds of .30-30 with 33 grains of Win 748 and Hornady 170 flat points this afternoon, using the new (small) cylinder. I weighed each charge with my RCBS beam-type scale. I guess I have "commitment and trust issues" when it comes to building faith in a sorta new-to-me reloading process. After getting the powder charge set, the scale never varied more than the width of the narrow marks on the stationary scale base and the mark on the beam. Very stinkin' tiny, insignificant amounts of variation of the powder charges. But this new setup was really consistent and repeatable today. Seemed to behave the same with my small amount of 2.8 grains of Bullseye for my .380 as well. I'm likin' it. :)
Good to see the inconsistencies knocked when using the small cylinder. Keep the updates coming.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:34 pm

Mags, I noticed your tag line. I guess you are aware of this: https://youtu.be/a3lk9Uu6Rxw
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:59 pm

GFK wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:34 pm
Mags, I noticed your tag line. I guess you are aware of this: https://youtu.be/a3lk9Uu6Rxw
Thanks for sharing the video.
I kew of the temporary court decisions. But first I'd seen a good explanation. Next court date is Dec 23.
0 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Loaded up some .380 ACP today for my little Ruger MAX LCP. Thought I’d throw some ear muffs on, and go outside and function check a few rounds. And saw this goofy mole on top of my grass, doing a 45 mph breast stroke kinda deal across the yard. How fortuitous to have a weapon at just the right time!!!!!
46F60045-AB90-42E1-8AC6-A5469C8DD66B.jpeg
46F60045-AB90-42E1-8AC6-A5469C8DD66B.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 533 times

Oh, yeah………. The small cylinder worked great for the small charges it threw for the .380 today. Repeated well. Any minor variations (less than a tenth, I’d guess) are more likely due to the Bullseye powder than the powder throw itself. Made some ammo with it that very possibly saved my life from a charging (well, it was actually scootin’ away……) mole at 3 feet!
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:14 pm

Finally had some time today to look at the SMALL measure cylinder compared to the cylinder that ships with the Uniflow. I looked at Accurate #2 and #5 that JohnDavies suggested and Titegroup.

Off the Shelf Uniflow.
The smallest measure I could get with the off the shelf Uniflow was with the measure screw 1/8 turn open. Any tighter and the cylinder would not rotate. For Accurate #5 and Titegroup, I could not get consistent drops. The variance I would not be too concerned about if these were at rifle load scale, but for small caliber pistol this variance is significant. Only Accurate #2 gave consistent drops good enough for 380. Since the measure screw itself couldn't get any tighter, I could not get down to 32auto drops with any of these powders.

Uniflow with Small Measure Cylinder.

I got consistent drops with all 3 powders. Good for 32auto and 380. This with 3/4 turn measure screw open. Since I got what I was after for 32 auto I didn't pursue tighter measure screw turns.
Uniflow Cylinders.JPG
Uniflow Cylinders.JPG (82.38 KiB) Viewed 457 times
1 x