Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some "Possible" .30-30 Reloading Help for Folks (Slight Shoulder Bump)

All things reloading here
Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Some "Possible" .30-30 Reloading Help for Folks (Slight Shoulder Bump)

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:40 pm

I hope this might help some folks who reload (and only shoot factory ammo as well) for their .30-30. It's not meant to be "definitive" sorta deal, but rather something I've learned from more than a few years of reloading. There will ALWAYS be someone else with differrent ideas & findings, and that's good. We take what info we can get, then make decisions about how we reload. More good options are always better and welcome. And this is by no means anything new, or something I dreamed up. It's been done for years, by much more thoughtful folks than I.

Went shooting this morning at the local range. We can only shoot at 25 yds. or 100 yds. at this range, so that's all I can do there. I've been playing with 150 gr. Hornady RN bullets (#3035s) and Hornady 170 gr. FNs, the #3060s. I'm working up different loadings of Winchester 748 and Hodgdon H335 (because "it was there"; I happened to already have some on hand) to try to find something that groups the best. All groups were shot with my cataract afflicted eyes looking through my receiver mounted peep with a Patridge post up front. Group in the top photo was shot last, after I adjusted the peep some.

IMG_0417.JPG
IMG_0417.JPG (4.48 MiB) Viewed 661 times
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG (4.84 MiB) Viewed 661 times

For funsies, I shot some factory rounds and reloads of 150 grainers at 100 yds., mostly to fireform some brass. Not really groups to be proud of, but again, with iron sights and my eyes at a hunnert, I'm okay with 'em....... ;) Don't plan to actually shoot that far on a hunt if I can help it.
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG (4.28 MiB) Viewed 661 times

From some groups of rounds, I was having the primers "back out" somewhat. Probably as much as 015" or so? No mushrooming of the primer, or craters around the firing pin divots. These rounds all fed, fired, and flung out reliably. Some were different factory rounds, some were my "starting point" reloads. With the reloads, as soon as I upped the powder charge, the backing out was pretty much not happening. I've read that this occurs in lot of .30-30 rifles, and for the most part, isn't really anything to worry about. It seems to be the nature of a beast for a cartridge that's sized to fit ANY chamber of ANY .30-30 rifle, is designed to headspace on the rim, and sometimes loaded to "safe" levels for older guns out there in service. Again, not really anything to worry about given no other signs of excessive pressure I mentioned above.

Even with my old eyes and iron sights, I noticed a kind of "trend" with some of my reloads. The rounds that I've shot before then resized tended to group a bit better than with the cases I was given that were shot from another rifle, or some factory rounds. These were the rounds that I set my FL sizing die up a bit from the manufacturer's recommendation ("Raise up the press' ram, screw the die down until it touches the shellholder, back the ram down, then screw in the die another half-turn"). I (and many others) don't do it that way. The catch is you do need a way to measure your fired and resized cases to do this right.

I have a Hornady Case Comparator I use with my digital calipers. I can fire a round, then measure the case's length at the shoulder to a repeatable datum point with this tool. I can then set my FL sizing die to "bump" the shoulder down by, say, whatever amount I choose. I'd like to bump it back a consistent .002"-.004", but my press/die combo doesn't seem to hold things quite that tight. I try to resize where the shoulder datum is around .003" shorter than it was after firing, but seem to get a span of .001" to .005" bump back. So far, it's worked out well.

I can measure factory rounds, or reloads set by the book, and it seems that they seem to run as much as .03"-.035" shorter than what my chamber needs. That's a lot of brass movement to fill up a chamber when a round is fired! Now, I realize our lever guns in .30-30 (and other bottleneck rimmed cases) are supposed to headspace off the rim. But they don't necessarily have to. And with a stackup of cartridge rim tolerances, chamber dimensions, and other factors, may not be the absolute best way to full length resize a 30-30 case meant for just one certain rifle.

Some advantages are that you work the brass much less when you move it back to size this way. This helps extend the case life versus moving the case around the amount I got by following the die maker's instructions. It fits the chamber in your rifle way better, and makes the firing sequence more consistent. For my rifle, it seemed to help tighten the groups a tad. Feeding, firing, and extraction have not been issues.

Some disadvantages are that your ammo sized this way might not fit in another of your rifles. For that kinda deal where you reload for multiple 30-30s, you probably do need to follow those die maker's instructions so your rounds will chamber. It requires a bit of slowing down to make careful measurements and adjustments, It adds more steps. A very dirty and/or rough chamber could be a problem. I'm pretty good about cleaning my gun, so that seems to be a non issue for my rifle.

I've done this for years with my bolt action .30-06. I actually took it a bit further, and seat my bullets for that gun within .015" of the rifling. The magazine allows room for that sorta thing, and it helps tighten up groups on that particular gun. I have an RCBS Precision Mic setup for that, along with a Redding bench rest micrometer adjustable bullet seating die. I wish we could do that with our .30-30s, but needing to crimp at the cannelure kinda sets our bullet OAL, and how close to (or how far from) the rifling our slugs can sit.

Anyway, something to think about and discuss. I'm the sort of Anal OCD person that wants as much accuracy as I can have with a rifle. Whether or not it might influence the outcome of a hunt at most ranges game is shot can be debated forever, I suppose. I just feel a bit more "confident" knowing the bullet should go where it's supposed to, if I do my part. And that's the biggest variable in this whole deal, most likely.
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Some "Possible" .30-30 Reloading Help for Folks (Slight Shoulder Bump)

Post by Rifletom » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:24 pm

Mr. N, heck of a write up on 30-30 load development. Nicely done. My standard load for the 150 and 170gr Hornady FN, has been 33.0-34.0gr Win 748 with a mag primer to give that 748 some kick. And it works. Very accurate in my Mod 94 Winchester. 30-30's are a hoot.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:40 pm

well written .... very well written indeed .... our 30-30 our load of choice since the mid 60's has been 35 gr of W748 pushing a 150 gr bullet .... we used Winchester's silvertips until they stopped making them .... for a long time now we have switched to Combined Technologies 150 gr Ballistic Silvertips .... these bullets are the result of a coordinated effort between Nosler and Winchester ====> https://www.nosler.com/30-caliber-150gr ... -50ct.html .... they are, without any doubt, the best performing 30-30 bullets we have ever fired
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:56 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:40 pm
well written .... very well written indeed .... our 30-30 our load of choice since the mid 60's has been 35 gr of W748 pushing a 150 gr bullet .... we used Winchester's silvertips until they stopped making them .... for a long time now we have switched to Combined Technologies 150 gr Ballistic Silvertips .... these bullets are the result of a coordinated effort between Nosler and Winchester ====> https://www.nosler.com/30-caliber-150gr ... -50ct.html .... they are, without any doubt, the best performing 30-30 bullets we have ever fired
Jim, those are some very good bullets. Have used them in 30-30 and .308 Win. Accuracy was/is superb.
0 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:09 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:24 pm
My standard load for the 150 and 170gr Hornady FN, has been 33.0-34.0gr Win 748 with a mag primer to give that 748 some kick. And it works. Very accurate in my Mod 94 Winchester. 30-30's are a hoot.
Thanks, Rifletom, and thanks for the load info. Very much appreciated. I am slowly "workin' my way up" on the powder charges. I'm thinkin', for now, I'll have to settle for the Hornady 170s and whatever-powder-charge works best. Nice to know that I may still have a grain or so more powder to stuff in there. Were you shootin' 33 or 34 grain of w-748 in the 170 load?
JEBar wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:40 pm
our 30-30 our load of choice since the mid 60's has been 35 gr of W748 pushing a 150 gr bullet .... we used Winchester's silvertips until they stopped making them .... for a long time now we have switched to Combined Technologies 150 gr Ballistic Silvertips .... these bullets are the result of a coordinated effort between Nosler and Winchester ====> https://www.nosler.com/30-caliber-150gr ... -50ct.html .... they are, without any doubt, the best performing 30-30 bullets we have ever fired
Thanks, JEBar! And again, thanks for that info; it all helps us die-hard .30-30 folks.
On the subject of discontinued bullets, sorta, I emailed Sierra bullets a few weeks back. Their bullets are what I shoot in the '06 I mentioned above, and the 165 and 180 grainers group really, really well for that rifle. I hunt elk with the 180s that give me 1"- 1.25" hundred yd. groups if I do my part. But if I want to impress my buddies, my deer load with the 165s shoots about 3/4" clusters pretty consistently. I had hoped to try some Sierra 30-30 bullets for my H009G, but like most other bullets these days, couldn't find any. Need to be at the right website at just the right time to miss the "Out of Stock" messages, I guess. Kinda like primers, powder, and cases, huh? :roll: I'm having to roll with what I can get these days. I'm not unhappy with the Hornady's, and from the reading I've done, they have decent terminal peerformance. But if there's something out there that's better, like you mentioned, I'd sure like find some fer sale........

I guess I could've just written above that I'm afraid a lot of us (myself included for those first few .30-30 reloads :oops: ) are probably workin' our brass a little too much. Even if it doesn't help accuracy, it's gotta help case life, I figure......

Added in EDIT:

To complete a thought on the dreaded "Out of Stock/No Longer Available" bullets: The email response I got back from Sierra is that they probably won't be making another production run of their Pro Hunter .30-30 bullets until possibly late next year...... :roll:
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:12 pm

Good write up for sure, myself I've been using Sierra's 170 gr Pro hunters, and Speer Hot cor in the 30-30's and the Marlin 308 MX.
Have yet to lose an animal, or recover one of those bullets. In the 30-30's it's been mostly 29.2 grs. of 3031.
I did work up a load for one of the 30-30's using 748 with the same bullet and it was around 29.5 for the best accuracy.
I do have a 100 each of 150 gr pills by both companies, but as of yet I haven't tried them.
This was last year right before our deer season.

20211012_022750.jpg
20211012_022750.jpg (203.33 KiB) Viewed 642 times

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 pm

my favorite source for bullets is Shooter's Pro Shop ====> https://www.shootersproshop.com/

they specialize in Nosler Blems that may have some tiny blemish in the finish .... their prices are exceptional .... I am perfectly comfortable using them for big game hunting .... if you call them they will work with you on notifications when they get what you are looking for in stock
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 pm

Vaquero,

Do those Speer 170 gr. Hot Cor bullets fall into the "No Longer Available" category? I struck out at Speer's website just now when I looked......

Nice shootin' there, by the way! 8-)
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:54 am

Yes, 34.0gr of 748 with the 170gr Hornady FN bullet. Mag primer helped with accuracy in my rifle.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:13 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 pm
Vaquero,

Do those Speer 170 gr. Hot Cor bullets fall into the "No Longer Available" category? I struck out at Speer's website just now when I looked......

Nice shootin' there, by the way! 8-)
I haven't looked in a while so I'm not sure. I still have one and a partial box left.
Also several boxes of the Sierra's, probably enough to last me the rest of my hunting days.

Oh and thanks for the kind words. ;)

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012