Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Talked to the Alliant powder tech yesterday....

All things reloading here
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Talked to the Alliant powder tech yesterday....

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:01 am

Had a few questions about their BE-86 powder so gave them a call. I also asked if they were still making Unique powder since I haven't seen any in a good while. He said " Heck yeah we are still making it and if we stopped there would be riots in street!" that's what he said which was great to hear! :D

Also told him last time I saw a 1lb container of it at my LGS it was $ 75.00 bucks and he replied if they were charging that much I was being scalped.
He said that it was being bought up as fast as they could make it so I wonder where the heck it is all going since all my online searches show up as not in stock. BE-86 is right at 40 bucks per 1lb. which seems about normal nowdays with price increases and still being considered a new powder doesn't yet have the usage history as the ol' Unique.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Talked to the Alliant powder tech yesterday....

Post by Rifletom » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:41 am

What were the questions regarding BE-86? So far, it's worked very good in the calibers I've loaded using it. Hopefully, you'll like it.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:03 am

I'm curious, did he say anything as to using BE-86 as a substitute for Unique :?:
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:01 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:03 am
I'm curious, did he say anything as to using BE-86 as a substitute for Unique :?:
He told me it is a bit slower burning and can work well as a substitute for Unique type performance but burns cleaner and is low flash.
However just don't try a same load as Unique when starting out. After looking at their load data for .44 Special and 44 Magnum I am safe to start
with my .44 Mag low end load that I used Unique for. Caution though their load data just shows the MAX load.
2 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:22 pm

That is good info to know
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:00 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:01 pm
He told me it is a bit slower burning and can work well as a substitute for Unique type performance but burns cleaner and is low flash. However just don't try a same load as Unique when starting out. After looking at their load data for .44 Special and 44 Magnum I am safe to start with my .44 Mag low end load that I used Unique for. Caution though their load data just shows the MAX load.
info appreciated
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:44 pm

"Caution though their load data just shows the MAX load". Reduce by 10% and you're good.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:12 pm

Page 7 of the Alliant 2020 Powder Catalog for reloading.
The powder charge weights listed in our data tables are maximum. For rifle and pistol loads, the maximum powder charge should be reduced by 10% to establish a minimum or starting powder charge. The exceptions are those powder charges designated “DNR” (Do Not Reduce).
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234