Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

38 Special

All things reloading here
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

38 Special

Post by Headhog » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 pm

Started reloading some 38 Spl. ammo target loads today when I came across these two rounds mixed in. I think they're good for one or two more reloads.

IMG_2269.jpg
IMG_2269.jpg (160.99 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Ok so I'm just kidding about reloading these cases. They actually made it onto my progressive press and I didn't notice them until they reached station 4. That's the powder check station. I immediately pulled the from the press and dumped the powder charge back into the measure. Being frugal, after I finished loading the rest of the cases, I put them back into station 1 and carefully decapped the primers. Then I finished up by loading 2 more good cases. Total 300 rounds of 38 Spl. target load.

With the price of primers today I'm not about to waste perfectly good primers. You just have to have a gentle touch when removing them from the case.

Paul
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: 38 Special

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:32 pm

You are braver than me for decamping live primers.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:32 pm

Get ya a 5 gal brass collection bucket. Put all your reject brass and .22 hulls in it. When full you'll get about $60.00 from the recycler.......This is what I do.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:23 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:32 pm
You are braver than me for decamping live primers.
Just slow and easy, I've done it a number of times.

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:24 am

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:32 pm
Get ya a 5 gal brass collection bucket. Put all your reject brass and .22 hulls in it. When full you'll get about $60.00 from the recycler.......This is what I do.
Yep, that's what I'm doing also.

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:30 pm

Headhog wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 pm
Started reloading some 38 Spl. ammo target loads today when I came across these two rounds mixed in. I think they're good for one or two more reloads.

IMG_2269.jpg

Ok so I'm just kidding about reloading these cases. They actually made it onto my progressive press and I didn't notice them until they reached station 4. That's the powder check station. I immediately pulled the from the press and dumped the powder charge back into the measure. Being frugal, after I finished loading the rest of the cases, I put them back into station 1 and carefully decapped the primers. Then I finished up by loading 2 more good cases. Total 300 rounds of 38 Spl. target load.

With the price of primers today I'm not about to waste perfectly good primers. You just have to have a gentle touch when removing them from the case.

Paul

I recently did the same thing but I put the primers in a separate container for testing later. I’ve decapped live primers many times without issue but have never re-used them. Who woulda thought?
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:30 pm
Headhog wrote:

IMG_2269.jpg

Paul

I recently did the same thing but I put the primers in a separate container for testing later. I’ve decapped live primers many times without issue but have never re-used them. Who woulda thought?
Why deprime, if ya ain't using them 🤔

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:52 pm

No problem reusing previously seated primers. They fire off the same as new ones. :D

The ones I have a problem with are when my press fails to completely remove the old primer. The case them over on the next station and the spent primer gets reseated in the case. I've found that these primers don't work well the second time around. :o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:35 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:22 pm
Hatchdog wrote:
Headhog wrote:

IMG_2269.jpg

Paul

RP
I’ll reuse them, just planning on loading them in something that I won’t use for a specific purpose like load development. Just never done this before so want to experiment a bit.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:14 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:35 pm
Vaquero wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:22 pm
Hatchdog wrote:

RP
I’ll reuse them, just planning on loading them in something that I won’t use for a specific purpose like load development. Just never done this before so want to experiment a bit.
Just yanking you chain, yea I use 'em in range stuff, but
to be honest I'm pretty sure I've never had one to fail.

Now I've had primer failures no doubt, had one this weekend in a 223 round and my Savage.
Tried it twice, no go bang. Laying on the bench to be tore down.

RP
0 x

H001, H006, H012