Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Weekend - Brass Score

All things reloading here
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Weekend - Brass Score

Post by Headhog » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:05 am

This was a good weekend for me. Went to my local pistol match on Saturday and as I'm standing and chatting with some competitors, I see a familiar face walking in my direction. He's carrying two plastic bags filled with 45 ACP small primer brass and he hands them to me. Back in March we were talking about primer shortages and my low supply of large pistol primers. So I had to stop shooting 45 ACP and save my LPP for my 45 Colt loads. Well this friend mentioned he had a lot of 45 ACP brass with small primers he didn't want and offered them to me. Finally after few missed matches and "forgot to bring them" we connected.

So later as the match was progressing, I noticed a voicemail on my phone. Where this range is has very poor cell service and especially in bay 1 where I started. So I moved on to the next two stages, in bay 3, and I had one bar of service. The voicemail was from another fellow I met in a gun shop July 4th weekend. He was hunting about 25 west of where I live and had a bag of 45 Colt brass. I called him back and left a message to call me later when he was done hunting. Sure enough he calls at 5:30 and we arranged to meet. In the bag he had 275 once fired 45 Colt brass. When he called he asked me if I had any 40 S&W I could spare. I was more than glad to provide him a 3 lb coffee container full, since I don't shoot much 40 S&W anymore and have plenty to spare.

If my stars stay aligned, I may have a new revolver to add to my collection and I'll share that story also. We'll see about that tomorrow, as long as this fellow doesn't change his mind. :D
6 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Weekend - Brass Score

Post by leverjc » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:36 pm

Good score, I picked up a coffee can full of small primer 45acp brass a few years ago and loaded some of them up when I had a problem getting large pistol primers. For a while Federal was making indoor range ammo with small pistol primers and a lot were left at the range. I didn't notice any difference in how they shot from my other loads.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 pm

Nice score there Paul, and a good deed to another fellow shooter.
Hope the pistola exchange works out.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:51 am

Vaquero wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 pm
Nice score there Paul, and a good deed to another fellow shooter.
Hope the pistola exchange works out.

RP
I’m hoping the pistol deal comes together. We had to push it out to Wednesday morning, but it appears to be on track. 😁

Paul
1 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 am

leverjc wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:36 pm
Good score, I picked up a coffee can full of small primer 45acp brass a few years ago and loaded some of them up when I had a problem getting large pistol primers. For a while Federal was making indoor range ammo with small pistol primers and a lot were left at the range. I didn't notice any difference in how they shot from my other loads.
I’ve loaded and shot about 50 SPP 45ACP brass and also found no difference. Plus LPP if and when I can get them are still very pricey. Small primers can be had for $8.00 a hundred and large pistol are going for $13.00. 😳

Paul
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:12 am

Headhog wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 am
leverjc wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:36 pm
I’ve loaded and shot about 50 SPP 45ACP brass and also found no difference. Plus LPP if and when I can get them are still very pricey. Small primers can be had for $8.00 a hundred and large pistol are going for $13.00. 😳

Paul
That makes no :evil: dang sense...
Back the end of July I picked up just to add to the stash a 1,000 ea. large and small pistol primers for $89.99.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:12 am

That makes no :evil: dang sense...
Back the end of July I picked up just to add to the stash a 1,000 ea. large and small pistol primers for $89.99.

RP
If i saw them for that price around here, I'd jump on them also. Glad you were lucky to find some.

Paul
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:20 pm

Haven't seen any primers here for months.
0 x