Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Primers

All things reloading here
Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Primers

Post by Luv the lever » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:45 pm

The elusive part we all need desperately to reload. There is no getting around it, they are either not here or very expensive. That being said here is my question to all of you pro's.

Small Pistol primers. I've received emails showing Aguila Small Pistol 1 1?2 in stock and another shows Fiocci Small Pistol Primers.

Can either of these replace CCI 500's? Honestly the Aguila is the same as over priced CCI so why bother but the Flocci are a touch cheaper and in stock.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Primers

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:46 pm

Luv the lever wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:45 pm
... they are either not here or very expensive.
'Not here' in my general area means none of the 'standard' primers are around and hence being forced to buy the 'very expensive' magnum, match and or benchrest versions (if one can even find those, which I have had some luck).
Right now standard CCI are advertised at about $5 per 100. Magnums run 10% more. Match and Benchrest run double.

Federal start at $5.20 per 100. Federal GoldMetal add $2.00. Remington similar.

I have no experience with Aquila primers, but if that is all I could get, given the way things are now I would buy them,
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 pm

:o I'd like to see some $52.50 per k primers. ;)
Last I bought were $89.99 per k, plus tax. :shock:

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:43 am

Vaquero wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 pm
:o I'd like to see some $52.50 per k primers. ;)
Last I bought were $89.99 per k, plus tax. :shock:

RP
Me too! I paid the same for CCI 500 and even more for large rifle. As usual I am very late to the party. Wish I’d have started reloading years ago because I am the guy that would have squirreled away my “nuts”.

Ammo is widely available and coming down in price so hopefully these little devils will be also.

The Fiochi are $89 for 1,500. It’s a touch cheaper but I don’t know enough to feel comfortable not using exactly what I read in my manual.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:23 am

Most of my reloading in the past couple of years has been for Lever Silhouette in 30-30, 357 and 45 Colt. The availability of primers has caused me to use a mixed bag of them. Most of what I load are light to medium power loads with only one that is close to a max load in 30-30. I shoot with peep sights so I figure the best I can do with my old eyes is to hold plus or minus a quarter inch at 50 yds. The only difference in accuracy I have found is with very light loads of 6.5 grains of Green Dot with 135 grn Mo. Bullet out of my 30-30. I seem to get slightly better groups using magnum primers.

Shooters that load for extreme accuracy may disagree with me but I have found the difference in manufacturer, magnum or regular primers have not made a practical difference for my loads.
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:36 am

It’s been close to 20 years since I reloaded on a regular basis and all I ever loaded was 9MM, 5.56 and 7.62 NATO and I did it in bulk using CCI primers. There were a few other calibers that I reloaded occasionally but it was military loads that was my biggest interest.

I sold all my left over primers and powder right before I left Seattle. Most of it was at least ten years old.

Last time I was at the lgs I saw they had full shelves of powder, primers and ammo. I’m not seeing a shortage here. You might have to sell a kidney to afford it but it’s here. I didn’t check prices.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:20 am

leverjc wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:23 am
Most of my reloading in the past couple of years has been for Lever Silhouette in 30-30, 357 and 45 Colt. The availability of primers has caused me to use a mixed bag of them. Most of what I load are light to medium power loads with only one that is close to a max load in 30-30. I shoot with peep sights so I figure the best I can do with my old eyes is to hold plus or minus a quarter inch at 50 yds. The only difference in accuracy I have found is with very light loads of 6.5 grains of Green Dot with 135 grn Mo. Bullet out of my 30-30. I seem to get slightly better groups using magnum primers.

Shooters that load for extreme accuracy may disagree with me but I have found the difference in manufacturer, magnum or regular primers have not made a practical difference for my loads.
I haven't noticed any difference in using different primers in load work up either. I seem to be fine with CCI and Win primers I have, Man, I don't even remember the last time I bought primers at a lgs. Been awhile.
1 x

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:51 am

I've used a variety of primers and never noticed a difference, perhaps long rage competition shooting it may but for general purpose hunting/plinking ammo use whatever you can find
2 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:21 pm

I haven't noticed any difference in using different primers either.
I have yet to test out using SR in place of SP. Depending on what web info one reads, some say they work fine others say not.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:39 pm

In my Nosler reloading book I bought late last century ('80s or '90s, I think...... :? ), a writer named Layne Simpson wrote a chapter about reloading in that manual.

Short version was that a U.S. military ballistician tested a lot of the 4 different components of ammo, and came to the conclusion that the bullet was the single most important part of a loading recipe. If powder charges are reasonably consistent, case prep and cases are consistent, this fella found that the bullet had the most influence on accuracy. The primer was on the bottom of that 4 item list, if I recall correctly.

I'm not any sorta "reloading guru", but have found no reason to believe otherwise in my reloading adventures....... ;)
3 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO