United States of America

Shooting unknown ammo/ reloads........

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:52 pm

Nice Winchester destroyed... https://youtu.be/sCgS7Evf8RE :shock:
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Shooting unknown ammo/ reloads........

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:20 am

another one,
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjGQfvzLnTd/
canadianfirearmsfan2
Ok folks so here is a PSA on #firearmssafety and a big shout out and thank you to @alpha_firearms_one for the photo credit. Sure we all know the golden rules of firearms. Treat them as loaded until we prove otherwise, don't point a firearm at anything you don't want to put holes in, keep your finger off the trigger until you want it to go bang and be aware of what's behind your target. But just as important is to use quality ammo.

Your expensive thousand dollar plus striker fired #SigSaur has numerous safety features built in and is tested to make sure it doesn't turn into a grenade in your hand when you pull the trigger.

But as you can see Here, if you use bad or questionable ammo (even factory loaded stuff). You are running the risk of destroying that expensive new toy and wors seriously injuring yourself and others.

This looks like an over pressure caused by a barrel obstruction from a squib. Know our guns, know what a proper round sounds and feels like when it goes off. If you have any doubts, stop and check the barrel. Don't just rack and smash.

I did a quick Google search of this ammo, which is from Macedonia btw and what I found was not good. It doesn't look like we can get it here in Canada; but if you find any, LEAVE IT! Sometime a good deal at the store isn't a good deal at the range!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:08 am

that certainly reinforces our decision to only fire our reloads ....
3 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:20 pm

Good video Forty. I hope many shooters watch and heed it's warning.

Paul
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:26 pm

I have never shot someone else's reloads by my own choice. I did not know the loaders well enough to take the chance. As a rule I don't shoot ammunition produced by a company I am not familiar with but with the lack of choices nowadays I can see the temptation. The lack of ammunition available from trusted sources and the PRICES are what drove me to finally start loading my own. And I am paranoid enough to be very careful.
2 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re Shooting unknown ammo/ reloads........

Post by PJM » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:59 pm

Some issues can arise from using unqualified gunsmiths. Years ago mu brother in law sporterized a 95 7mm mauser. He had it drilled and tapped for a scope. He fired it multiple times with no issues. One day at the range, I asked to try it and the front mount screw was blown out of the base, ruined the scope as it drove the screw straight up into the scope. The brass case had a perfect hole in it.We werent hurt as the mauser action held up. The screw hole was overdrilled. All I got was a blast of gas in the face and a very loud report. Was lucky.The gun was junk.I also have the same model mauser that I was in process of sporterizing. I never finished it as could not find a gunsmith I was comfortable with. My son has it now and is talking about finishing it. I asked him to consider a receiver sight vs a scope mount as it is risky drilling the receiver at the chamber.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Have a good friend, he's been loading longer than I.
He was loading for a Marlin 444, and loaded Accurate 7, instead of Rel 7.
Said he had both sitting on the bench and just picked up the wrong one. :o
Blew the rifle all to heck, not quite as bad as that Winchester, he luckily didn't get hurt.
Says he Never has two different powders on the bench any more.

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:24 pm

You just answered a question I hadn’t got around to asking yet. An Uncle brought me several 410 reloads he and a buddy of his reloaded several years ago. I don’t think either of them even had a 410. Someone give them a bunch of hulls and they decided they were gonna get into reloading. Just haven’t been able to bring myself to shoot one. Now I know I’m not.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Another thing to keep in mind....

If you are picking up brass on the range and come across an unfired round in the mix... :D
Don't drop it in your bag to shoot later unless it was yours and you know why it was unfired and how it got there.
Sadly, I know a lot of young shooters who often volunteer to pick up brass at the public ranges to get free brass. More power to them. (However, that in itself is a discussion for another time. Right? )
But, they have said they often find live rounds that they can shoot later. :roll:
I have shared this PSA with them and they just wrote me off as overly cautious and I could tell by the eye rolls that they were going to continue to shoot their "good luck finds."

1. The unfired rounds they find on the range could be reloads, reloaded by someone who doesn't have a clue.
2. The unfired rounds could be ammo that didn't fire and were cleared due to hard primers. (They said it'll fire when MY gun hit's that sucker, I HAVE a good hammer / firing pin spring.)
3. Could have been the result of a double feed and cleared during a timed string. (Worst case.) The double feed can cause the bullet nose to jam against the chamber edge, and set back the bullet in the case. THIS can cause a serious overpressure situation. When the round is fired, the case can't contain the pressure and results in a blowout. NOT something I heard about, something I was there for.

The results can vary depending on the design of the firearm, but it can be catastrophic. Some Handguns will vent the pressure by swelling the grip, and ejecting the magazine out the bottom of the gun. Others will blow the grips off the gun. Some will blow the grips and the slide off the firearm. In Rifles it may be the mag blows out the base. The bolt can exit the rear, right where the shooter's face lives. Or the chamber let's go.

In all cases it depends on the amount of overpressure.

In all cases, I would rather not be the shooter. :?
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:56 pm

When I begin loading and fill the powder hopper I label the cap on the hopper with the powder being used and only that container is out on the bench.
The label stays on the hopper after it is emptied into the powder container and until a new loading session is started at a later time.

I have found that after dumping the powder out and cycling the 550B powder hopper many times to remove any old powder you will still get some flakes of it that come out on the first dry cycle after it has sat for a good while. I always look for that before refilling the hopper with a new powder.
1 x