Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What exactly is step 1?

All things reloading here
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: What exactly is step 1?

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:48 pm

LtL...Before I got into reloading I read up on the different loading setups, reliability and parts repair service and decided to go with the Dillon 550B press. To make a smoother less stress operation I do my depriming off the loading press and then clean the brass. Priming I do off the press using a hand primer. Read your load manuals and stay below max loads plus always double check powder weight and inspect each case for a load of powder.
Take your time when reloading and watch the details.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:47 pm

forty brings up a very good point. Always check your powder charge before seating bullets. While in the case holder, check with a flashlight to make sure they all appear the same. When learning, ask questions. A lot of seasoned handloaders here to walk you thru this.
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:13 pm

Luv the lever wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:14 pm
I have thought about it for years but now think it is time to start. I've been reading posts here, there and watching videos online. I have talked with friends that reload, hunters to nationally ranked competitive shooters that are triple distinguished. Still looking for a reasonable starting point.

Start with a basic single stage press, one function at a time or just go all in?

Hornady Kit, RCBS or Dillon.

Looking to load 30-30, 9mm, 357 mag, 38 special, and 223/556.

Money is an issue, I know you have to "break a few eggs to make an omlet", sensible spending it what I'm looking for.

What are "gimmicks" to stay away from? Lathe looking cutters? dies? bad manuals? Best manuals?

Any input will be wonderful, thanks in advance.
If you are on a budget try Offerup.com - I have a RCBS Summit that I picked up never used and half off! Bunch of supplies as well. I bought my first die set from Big Al right from this forum site :-) I'd also start with one caliber, one powder, one bullet to avoid any mistakes. I also weigh all of my completed rounds again to make sure none are heavy or light. Either could mean disaster. I got all my help from this forum and haven't looked elsewhere. Solid trustable folks here.

PS I triple check and cross check my powder charge data as well. FMJ, Gas Check, Cowboy are sooooo different even in same bullet weights.
Last edited by Kissmybrass on Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:15 pm

If you have any budget left I strongly recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. Excellent dies. Excellent investment.
2 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:18 am

Luv the lever wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:45 am
John E Davies wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:44 pm
eBay has reloading stuff, but you have to watch out for shipping, presses especially are heavy. This comes with.38 Spl and 9 mm dies: I really like the Lee dies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295211780979? ... ondition=4

Always check prices.

0971AF3C-F9AC-4989-AB34-7C8167184EC5.png

John Davies
Spokane WA
I actually have this one saved, planning on heading to a friends to do some reloading with him at the end of the week to make the decision to jump in or not. Dies, kits, tools, material and time all add up. As long as I can get the materials there is never a shortage of ammo.
Right now there is a shortage of primers and some powders. But, when supplies are available again it’s much easier and less expensive to stock up on components than on loaded ammo. Plus as components you still have flexibility to custom a load to whatever you want at that time in the future. We’ve gone thru two component shortages since 2012 and most of us have learned to buy when available and store for later.
3 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:31 pm

Not sure if its good or bad but we are in now. Found a Lee Progressive press blemished on a nationally reputable website and ordered it. Digital caliper, digital scale, bullet puller, stand, lube/wax and a set of dies for 357/38 special. I'm not looking to make that much, maybe went to cheap on the press but didn't really find any terrible reviews. Loaded 9 on a progressive last night and felt slightly overwhelmed but regrouped this morning and started looking high and low tools to start. Updates to follow, and I'll be on the "reloading bench" thread soon!
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:40 pm

Before I bought a powder measure, I would buy a set of the Lee powder dippers. I started loading in 1969 and my powder measure sits unused in a drawer. I use the dippers after checking them with a scale and they are a lot easier and quicker than loading a powder measure and then emptying it when I am done. Also I can switch powders easily.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:34 am

Luv the lever wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:31 pm
Not sure if its good or bad but we are in now. Found a Lee Progressive press blemished on a nationally reputable website and ordered it. Digital caliper, digital scale, bullet puller, stand, lube/wax and a set of dies for 357/38 special. I'm not looking to make that much, maybe went to cheap on the press but didn't really find any terrible reviews. Loaded 9 on a progressive last night and felt slightly overwhelmed but regrouped this morning and started looking high and low tools to start. Updates to follow, and I'll be on the "reloading bench" thread soon!
Not sure about the Lee Progressive press but my Lee Turret press has the ability to load just like a single stage press. Simply remove the indexing rod from the center, install your dies and then you can complete each step of the loading process individually. A nice feature indeed.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:21 pm

As far as checking the powder charge before seating the bullet, I prime the cases that I will load and then CHARGE ONE CASE , SEAT THE BULLET AND CRIMP. I never charge more than one case at a time and this has worked very well since 1969.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:48 am

Travlin wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:21 pm
... I never charge more than one case at a time ...
Same here.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234