Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What exactly is step 1?

All things reloading here
Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

What exactly is step 1?

Post by Luv the lever » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:14 pm

I have thought about it for years but now think it is time to start. I've been reading posts here, there and watching videos online. I have talked with friends that reload, hunters to nationally ranked competitive shooters that are triple distinguished. Still looking for a reasonable starting point.

Start with a basic single stage press, one function at a time or just go all in?

Hornady Kit, RCBS or Dillon.

Looking to load 30-30, 9mm, 357 mag, 38 special, and 223/556.

Money is an issue, I know you have to "break a few eggs to make an omlet", sensible spending it what I'm looking for.

What are "gimmicks" to stay away from? Lathe looking cutters? dies? bad manuals? Best manuals?

Any input will be wonderful, thanks in advance.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: What exactly is step 1?

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Start where you want to end. If it’s low volume accuracy load go single stage. If you want to load 5,000 rounds of NATO on a weekend go multi-stage.

Most of your calibers are simple with the 223/556 being the hardest.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Buy a general guide book, this one is good. … https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading- ... 310&sr=8-1

Look for a complete used basic reloading setup on Craigslist, one with a single stage press like the Rock Chucker, scale, books and accessories. CL technically forbids selling brass, powder and primers (the ads get flagged sooner or later), but there is actual equipment listed all the time in mine. For example, here is a progressive (rotating turret) setup, which I do not recommend for a beginner:

53B03374-DAD2-4FA5-AC66-156FD372C4E9.png
53B03374-DAD2-4FA5-AC66-156FD372C4E9.png (514.13 KiB) Viewed 769 times
570FA75D-1832-4A93-8212-70C7DA2008BF.jpeg
570FA75D-1832-4A93-8212-70C7DA2008BF.jpeg (277.02 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Set up a separate work are on a stout work bench, dedicated to reloading, that helps a lot. It is really awkward to have to set up your equipment and take it down repeatedly. I especially like the Hornady Lock n Load dies adapters, they are not necessary but when you are loading multiple calibers, it really helps with changing dies without worrying about the settings altering.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum LTL. You will get a lot of advice from the great minds here, and I would venture to guess there are hundreds of hours of experience to draw from.

You need to be careful of information overload, its quite easy to fall victim to. I, as have most others, started with an RCBS single stage press in 1971 and graduated to a Hornady Progressive and Redding turret (different reasons for different calibers).

So, here is my 2 cents worth.

I would start with the basics of:

1) A single stage press. Many good ones on the market, mine is an RCBS rock Chucker from 1971, still looks the same as today's model.Hornady also makes a great press.

If you look at some websites such as Midway USA, you can buy "kits" to get started with that makes things much easier in the beginning and save some bucks on buying single pieces of equipment.

Hornady $290.00 includes press, lubricant (same as I use) powder scale, primer, powder hopper and powder trickler, etc.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012998011?pid=749997

RCBS has the same type of kit in a couple of configurations running from $191 to $450
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=reloading+kit

2) A set of 38/357 dies. Same as the press, many brands, equally good. To start, I would keep with the same brand as the press (i.e. RCBS press and die set). Hornady is nice because with their press they have a quick connect system that makes changing dies quick and easy.

3) A reloading manual. I use Hornady and Lyman with a couple of other publications for specific calibers. You will find that each manual focuses on different bullet types and manufacturers, therefore they are similar but different. As an example, I use the Hornady book because I use Hornady bullets for all of my pistol calibers, Lyman does not cover the same weight and configuration, Hornady is specific to their bullets.

However, I use Lyman because they have a much broader listing for cast bullets of which I also shoot (Hornady is very limited). I shoot cast from my Henry calibers as well as 45 Colt and some 38.

So, I would suggest you start with one caliber, an easy one to get components for (except primers,the are tough for all calibers). Use that to familiarize yourself with the discipline of reloading.

Looking at your calibers, I would suggest 38/357. You can use the same die set for both calibers, just requires some minor adjustments when you change. With this caliber, you do not need to case trim, so that is one device off the list for now.

After you pick the Caliber, pick what bullet manufacturer you are going to load, and look for a manual that will cover that specific bullet type and weight (cast, full metal jacket, hollow point, semi jacketed shot nose, round nose, square nose, etc)

Brass. If you do not have any brass yet, go on the hunt for good brass. A lot of us like Starline Brass. Right now they are out of stock on 38/357 but you can back order them on Midway.

Once you settle on all of the above, look at your manual, pick one bullet type to start with, look up the powder recommendations in your manual and pick one (you may have to hunt for several types of powder until you find one in stock that you can order).

Last thing is primers. Best of luck. Primers are the rarest of commodities right now. Be very cautions as there are a ton of phony websites that have popped up claiming to have them in stock. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Stick to major sites like Midway, Brownells, Sportsmans warehouse, and some of the others.

At any rate, that is my 2 cents worth. Once you make your decision, take some picts of your setup and post them so we can follow your progress.Once you get started, you will be hooked.

Best of Luck !
4 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:37 pm

runnin n gunnin wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:51 pm
Welcome to the Forum LTL. You will get a lot of advice from the great minds here, and I would venture to guess there are hundreds of hours of experience to draw from.

You need to be careful of information overload, its quite easy to fall victim to. I, as have most others, started with an RCBS single stage press in 1971 and graduated to a Hornady Progressive and Redding turret (different reasons for different calibers).

So, here is my 2 cents worth.

I would start with the basics of:

1) A single stage press. Many good ones on the market, mine is an RCBS rock Chucker from 1971, still looks the same as today's model.Hornady also makes a great press.

If you look at some websites such as Midway USA, you can buy "kits" to get started with that makes things much easier in the beginning and save some bucks on buying single pieces of equipment.

Hornady $290.00 includes press, lubricant (same as I use) powder scale, primer, powder hopper and powder trickler, etc.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012998011?pid=749997

RCBS has the same type of kit in a couple of configurations running from $191 to $450
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=reloading+kit

2) A set of 38/357 dies. Same as the press, many brands, equally good. To start, I would keep with the same brand as the press (i.e. RCBS press and die set). Hornady is nice because with their press they have a quick connect system that makes changing dies quick and easy.

3) A reloading manual. I use Hornady and Lyman with a couple of other publications for specific calibers. You will find that each manual focuses on different bullet types and manufacturers, therefore they are similar but different. As an example, I use the Hornady book because I use Hornady bullets for all of my pistol calibers, Lyman does not cover the same weight and configuration, Hornady is specific to their bullets.

However, I use Lyman because they have a much broader listing for cast bullets of which I also shoot (Hornady is very limited). I shoot cast from my Henry calibers as well as 45 Colt and some 38.

So, I would suggest you start with one caliber, an easy one to get components for (except primers,the are tough for all calibers). Use that to familiarize yourself with the discipline of reloading.

Looking at your calibers, I would suggest 38/357. You can use the same die set for both calibers, just requires some minor adjustments when you change. With this caliber, you do not need to case trim, so that is one device off the list for now.

After you pick the Caliber, pick what bullet manufacturer you are going to load, and look for a manual that will cover that specific bullet type and weight (cast, full metal jacket, hollow point, semi jacketed shot nose, round nose, square nose, etc)

Brass. If you do not have any brass yet, go on the hunt for good brass. A lot of us like Starline Brass. Right now they are out of stock on 38/357 but you can back order them on Midway.

Once you settle on all of the above, look at your manual, pick one bullet type to start with, look up the powder recommendations in your manual and pick one (you may have to hunt for several types of powder until you find one in stock that you can order).

Last thing is primers. Best of luck. Primers are the rarest of commodities right now. Be very cautions as there are a ton of phony websites that have popped up claiming to have them in stock. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Stick to major sites like Midway, Brownells, Sportsmans warehouse, and some of the others.

At any rate, that is my 2 cents worth. Once you make your decision, take some picts of your setup and post them so we can follow your progress.Once you get started, you will be hooked.

Best of Luck !

Start with 1 caliber, that sounds like the best advise I’ve been given to date! I’m thinking for safety 38’s because I know the H012 is chambered for 357 mag. Starting with pistol caliber, learn how to reload them take on trimming once I feel more comfortable.

I’m not looking to churn out thousands of rounds so I’m thinking a single stage is a great starting point and why not a used one.

Thank you all for the comments, I read all the posts here and see there are many reloading.
2 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 pm

Good choice LtL, I shoot both 38 and .357 out of my Henry, both work admirably. Keep us posted !
1 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:44 pm

eBay has reloading stuff, but you have to watch out for shipping, presses especially are heavy. This comes with.38 Spl and 9 mm dies: I really like the Lee dies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295211780979? ... ondition=4

Always check prices.

0971AF3C-F9AC-4989-AB34-7C8167184EC5.png
0971AF3C-F9AC-4989-AB34-7C8167184EC5.png (365.96 KiB) Viewed 735 times

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:21 am

When you start buying dies take a hard look at the Lee Precision die sets. They are good quality and best of all the price includes a shell holder. This will save you about $10 per caliber. (Note the same shell holder can cover many calibers as they only need fit the rim of the case and many different calibers share the same rim dimensions) I don’t know of any other brand of dies that include the shell holder.
2 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:45 am

John E Davies wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:44 pm
eBay has reloading stuff, but you have to watch out for shipping, presses especially are heavy. This comes with.38 Spl and 9 mm dies: I really like the Lee dies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295211780979? ... ondition=4

Always check prices.

0971AF3C-F9AC-4989-AB34-7C8167184EC5.png

John Davies
Spokane WA
I actually have this one saved, planning on heading to a friends to do some reloading with him at the end of the week to make the decision to jump in or not. Dies, kits, tools, material and time all add up. As long as I can get the materials there is never a shortage of ammo.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:48 am

LtL, the .38/.357 will be a good, easy first step. And yes, a single stage would be the way to go to start. I bought my rock chukar in '77 and STILL use today. It's really all I've ever needed. More questions on this, ask away.
1 x