Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45c and 38/357 subsonic loads

All things reloading here
DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: 45 c and Longshot subsonic load data suggestions

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:42 pm

I'll have to see if i can find the extreme bullet and a bit of red dot. The Clean shot seems to be consistent (SD) wise, as long as my powder drops are consistent. I did pick up two pounds of Unique, and it will be my next one to test.

Looking at the powder for this load, they should come in around 975 to 1000 fps for the 240 to the 265 grains loads, the 285 to 315s i am hoping will come in at 900 to 975 fps.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:24 pm

Would like to find a plated 300 gr flat nose bullet but Xtreme only has it in round nose and run that around 900 FPS. Like the plated to keep the lead build up out of the suppressor.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:35 pm

Do you have a rotary tumbler? Even a corn media one? The rugged should come apart for cleaning. Drop the baffles in, and let it do the work. I've done that on my four Ghost-M 45's and my Form 1 45. It works quickly and efficiently, usually a little less than an hour if you have steel pins.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:03 pm

DsGrouse wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:35 pm
Do you have a rotary tumbler? Even a corn media one? The rugged should come apart for cleaning. Drop the baffles in, and let it do the work. I've done that on my four Ghost-M 45's and my Form 1 45. It works quickly and efficiently, usually a little less than an hour if you have steel pins.
Silencer Central says to be careful not to remove the anodizing coating off the baffles. I just get the heavy carbon crud out.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:15 pm

You have the obsidian 45?

This is from rugged

"Obsidian45 baffles are machined from 17-4 Stainless Steel barstock, with two indexing tabs for proper alignment. With serviceability in mind the Obsidian baffles create a gas seal that virtually eliminates carbon build up between the baffles and tube."

If the baffles are stainless then there is no anadizing on them. If they are aluminum, i agree, just knock the chunks off. I scrub my tube and end caps with a nylon brush and call them good. But stainless baffles, those are good to go in a tumbler.
0 x

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 am

I wouldn’t use Bullseye or TiteGroup in a low pressure cartridge like 45 Colt from a rifle. It’s not even optimal in most magnums from a rifle. I’m using a max load of Unique with 250gr Berry’s and coated in mine, pushing 1250 fps from a 20” barrel. That same load from a 5.5” Blackhawk is running 1000fps with an average 10fps maximum variation over 5 shots. That load can be easily slowed down. It slower burning than those other two and is less likely to lose too much pressure before reaching the end of the barrel.
1 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:44 am

TheBackyardRange wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 am
I wouldn’t use Bullseye or TiteGroup in a low pressure cartridge like 45 Colt from a rifle. It’s not even optimal in most magnums from a rifle. I’m using a max load of Unique with 250gr Berry’s and coated in mine, pushing 1250 fps from a 20” barrel. That same load from a 5.5” Blackhawk is running 1000fps with an average 10fps maximum variation over 5 shots. That load can be easily slowed down. It slower burning than those other two and is less likely to lose too much pressure before reaching the end of the barrel.
I finally got my hands on 2lbs of unique last week. It is my next powder to try. In most of my load manuals, titegroup shows up well in the rifle loads. Clean shot is a lovex powder, and pairs burn rate-wise with bullseye and tigh group. The key thing for me is subsonic. I don't want to go over about 950-975 fps.

We'll see how the rest of the updated loads work. I loaded about half my 38spl loads last night. Maybe Friday i can get out and repeat my testing.
0 x

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:36 pm

DsGrouse wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:44 am
TheBackyardRange wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 am
I finally got my hands on 2lbs of unique last week. It is my next powder to try. In most of my load manuals, titegroup shows up well in the rifle loads. Clean shot is a lovex powder, and pairs burn rate-wise with bullseye and tigh group. The key thing for me is subsonic. I don't want to go over about 950-975 fps.

We'll see how the rest of the updated loads work. I loaded about half my 38spl loads last night. Maybe Friday i can get out and repeat my testing.
TiteGroup is an extremely fast burning powder. Its ideal for short barrel applications because of the way it burns. Its real explosive right off the bat and loses steam quickly. To give you an idea, there is a 600-700 fps difference between a max TiteGroup load and a Lil Gun load using 240gr bullets in 44 mag and a 20" barrel. Its because the Lil Gun is a less violent burn in the beginning and a more steady long lasting expansion throughout the length of the barrel. Refer to the chart in the link below to find where powders lie in the burn rate chart. The slower the burn rate, the better in a rifle it will likely perform.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/42/92/d6/4292 ... 3ac926.jpg

That said, Lil gun is not ideal for your application because its very case volume sensitive. You could not load it down to meet your velocities without it becoming very unstable. That why I suggested Unique. With its mid level burn rate and rate and load range, you should be able to meet the requirement.
0 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:26 pm

Thanks for that. I've got a few similar burn rate tables.
1 x

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:20 pm

I believe sound barrier is 1126fps at 60 degrees at sea level. Its 1096 fps at 5,000 ft above sea level. As long as you keep it under 1,100 fps, you’ll be fine in most places. Probably be good to figure out what your elevation is.
0 x