Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45c and 38/357 subsonic loads

All things reloading here
DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: 45 c and Longshot subsonic load data suggestions

Post by DsGrouse » Mon May 02, 2022 10:07 am

Does anyone have a favorite 265 to 300 grain jacketed bullet that they use?
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat May 07, 2022 7:26 pm

DsGrouse wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:07 am
Does anyone have a favorite 265 to 300 grain jacketed bullet that they use?
See my post:

https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12910
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat May 07, 2022 8:26 pm

I saw that and that is a hot one! That would be what like 1200-1300 FPS out of a 5-6 inch revolver? Is that a Ruger/Marlin load?
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun May 08, 2022 10:43 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:26 pm
I saw that and that is a hot one! That would be what like 1200-1300 FPS out of a 5-6 inch revolver? Is that a Ruger/Marlin load?
Of course its a hot 1, +P. :D

It was first developed for a 10 inch T/C years ago. ~1300 fps but after 3-4 shots, strong hand paralysis/numbness would set-in. Works well in my BBS. YMMV.

Remember, OP asked about bullet not load. Speed can easily be lowered.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:20 pm

so an update. Cleanshot was the hands-down winner for today. I tried the same ammo and coal with titegroup and bullseye.

5.7grns of cleanshot seems to be a good starting load with the berry's 250 grain plated. I averaged 843 fps and had a decent group.
the next best group was Hornaday 250 grain HP. but the average fps was pretty low at 629, so, defiantly need to bring the speed up a bit.

The lead 250 grain bulk pack I have is trash. It has not performed in any of the powders I have. Even when resizing it. With cleanshot it averaged 870 fps but a 5inch group. The two other powders ranged from 8 to 13-inch groups.

Sig/sierra 230grn hp averaged 706 fps and a 4-inch group.

berry's 250grn plated hp averaged 844, but I didn't record the group. I am guessing out of the 10 shots it was over 5 inches.

Bullseye at 7 grains is over the edge of 1100fps, using any of the 250grain bullets I had.

I did get a good group with the bullseye a 10-shot group at about an inch and a half. Berrys plated 250 FP again.

The tight group I loaded with only the 250grain bulk pack LFP I have. Velocities were consistent but the groups were horrendous.
I don't know what I am going to do with these bullets, 45 acp maybe, because they do not work for crap in my FA83 or in the henry.

So for now Cleanshot it may be, and 250grn berry's plated. I can play with the tension of the crimp, charge, and sizing to see where I land. I have about 120fps to gain with the clean shot loads.

I also have all those nice bullets from mats to give a go through.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:14 pm

Back at it with my 45 colt today.
This is the best group so far.

This group is a mix of two bullet types. The top, next three down and the one near the tip of the triangle are one 5 shot group. The furthest left and two furthest right are part of the other group.

I was beginning to think i sucked at shooting rifles. All of my loads were 4 to 15 inch groups.

These bullets are cast performance 265grn gas checked LBT style heat treated solids.

The velocities were good, i can bump it up about 100fps I think.

My 357/38 spl went a little differently.
I need more than the minimum in the book for extreme 158 plated
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:51 pm

Which were the bullets that flat plain wouldn't work? I'm using T & B coated and Missouri coated 250gr rnfp with Unique, Universal and Red Dot.
These combos work well at 1,000+ MV in my Henry's and around 840 MV in my handguns. All .45 Colt.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:16 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:51 pm
Which were the bullets that flat plain wouldn't work? I'm using T & B coated and Missouri coated 250gr rnfp with Unique, Universal and Red Dot.
These combos work well at 1,000+ MV in my Henry's and around 840 MV in my handguns. All .45 Colt.
In short all of them. 50 yard groups ranging from 5-13 inches. save for the one I showed. I suspect that I need to up the velocity a little bit. some were in pretty low. I would like them between 950 and 975. I am loading these to shoot suppressed. so, going over 1k, has some issues. I want to find quiet hard-hitting rounds.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:56 am

Well, I worked the loads up 2 tenths of a grain. I added a bit more of the crimp. We will see if this helps settle things down.
I have an electronic lyman scale. I think in my office, the temperature variations are causing the scale to slide. I pulled the unfired rounds, and what I would have sworn was 5.7 grains of clean shot ranged from 5.3 to 5.7. I check every load on a scale, so scale slide is the only thing I can come up with.

I've never had my powder measure throw more than .1 grains +- once I get it dialed in, but as I said, I do weigh every drop. I know I made adjustments via the powder measure as the scale slid. I'm suspecting this is why my SD's are all over the place on some of the loads.

I moved the scale to my second work bench. I leveled it, zero'd it with the wind hood, and weighed all these rounds out with the wind hood on. I am hoping this helps with the consistency of the loads.
We shall see.

If this doesn't work, I will probably look at an electronic dispensing scale. Yes they are prone to slide also, but the consistency might be better across the platform. From what i am reading, most scales need a lot longer to acclimate in a room that is over 65F. if the room swings up and down in temp, then you will need to make adjustments for the load cell during reloading and go through the calibration process again.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:34 pm

Still liking that 255 gr. Xtreme bullet with 6 gr. of Red Dot. Shoots really well and of course quiet as a Red Rider BB rifle out the X Model 45
1 x