All things reloading here
Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Small Pistol Primers

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:37 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:38 pm
Reloading bottle neck rifle cartridges is a pain in the butt! Especially if you start down that long endless thankless trail to tight groups. That gets you into measuring headspace, checking and adjusting bullet runout, individually weighing and sorting bullets, individually weighing charges, using a chronograph to fine tune the charge, and more. It is a rabbit hole I found myself part way in. I sold all my high velocity rifles (and their related special reloading equipment) and kept one pistol caliber rifle….

With straight walled cases it is a third the work, use a carbide die set, so you don’t have to lube. Use a quick and reasonably accurate powder measure like the classic Uniflow. If you are in a super hurry, use a turret or progressive press. Reloading should be fun, if it isn’t, then don’t bother.

John Davies
Spokane WA
I go as far as checking headspace. I do not own a chrono and really don't care about weighing and sorting bullets. I do weigh charges by hand though. So long as it goes "bang" and I get decent groups I'm fine.

Jake
1 x