Gas check cast .459

All things reloading here
Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Gas check cast .459

Post by Kissmybrass » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:12 pm

Question number 143:
Reloading data always has FMJ blah blah blah or plain old "cast" info.
I learned a lot so far but what would you consider gas check bullets?
I think you can go harder with these and break the sonic speed without trouble but would you match them to FMJ standards?
I can't find real data anywhere.

I'm shooting sub sonic cowboy-ish rounds and next step is to up the power a little to see if they become more accurate. I think these guys feel the need for speed like my Hornady loads.
I want to be around 1500-1600 fps or so. My Missouri cast coated are right where I want them to be - they are performing great at slower speeds.
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Gas check cast .459

Post by Headhog » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:27 pm

A gas check bullet is still lead bullet and should be treated as such. The purpose of the gas check is to provide a better seal to the bore. This prevents hot powder gases from cutting lead from the bullet and depositing it on the bore. In many cases you can push a gas checked bullet faster without leading the barrel, but you are still constrained by the powder and lead bullet pressure limitations.

Paul
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Gas check cast .459

Post by Kissmybrass » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:17 am

Headhog wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:27 pm
A gas check bullet is still lead bullet and should be treated as such. The purpose of the gas check is to provide a better seal to the bore. This prevents hot powder gases from cutting lead from the bullet and depositing it on the bore. In many cases you can push a gas checked bullet faster without leading the barrel, but you are still constrained by the powder and lead bullet pressure limitations.

Paul
good to know! thanks for the info Headhog :-)
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac