Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nosler Reloading Guide 9th Edition

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Nosler Reloading Guide 9th Edition

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:34 pm

when I got into reloading back in the 60's I spent a good bit of time and effort researching components .... bottom line, the decision was, unless they do not make one, to load Nosler bullets .... based on that decision, I bought a Nosler manual and have bought every new edition since .... a few months ago they put out their 9th edition and I just ordered one .... I'm really looking forward to its projected arrival on the day after tomorrow .... I literally read their manuals cover to cover and find the info they provide on each caliber to be fascinating

https://www.nosler.com/reloading-guide-9
1 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Nosler Reloading Guide 9th Edition

Post by Grunt67 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:34 pm
when I got into reloading back in the 60's I spent a good bit of time and effort researching components .... bottom line, the decision was, unless they do not make one, to load Nosler bullets .... based on that decision, I bought a Nosler manual and have bought every new edition since .... a few months ago they put out their 9th edition and I just ordered one .... I'm really looking forward to its projected arrival on the day after tomorrow .... I literally read their manuals cover to cover and find the info they provide on each caliber to be fascinating

https://www.nosler.com/reloading-guide-9
I'm a big believer in manuals. Hornady, Sierra, Speer. I try to keep the latest as well. I actually bought the 10th Edition of ABCs of Reloading, that just came out. Mostly basic stuff, but I enjoy reading some of it anyway.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:02 am

as noted, when I started out I bought Hornady, Sierra, Speer and a couple of other manuals .... being to new to reloading, doing that confused me more than helped .... sometimes numbers didn't match and at times were in conflict .... they all warned of pending doom if exceeding their recommendation .... then I'd look at a different manual and their top number was higher .... that was when decided to pick a bullet company .... the bullets that have survived and are still on the market are all good ones .... 30-06's had come on the scene bullet speeds were taking a rapid jump .... the problem were some bullets that simply couldn't handle the speed and reports of failures on game weren't rare .... the Nosler Partition bullet had been out for a few years and had already proven itself .... so, I decided to go with Nosler bullets .... I still have those old manuals but they haven't been opened in years .... a few years ago I decided to give cast bullets a try so I bought a Lyman manual .... thankfully, that passed quickly but I still have the manual and bulk boxes of bullets that might be of use somewhere down the line
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 am

I believe most handloaders have a number of different manuals, but like you mention, a person can look at three different manuals for the same load and start scratching their head. I pretty much use the #50 Lyman, but, I'll always check the Nosler, Speer, Alliant, Hodgdon ,etc sites to cross reference data. I certainly see what you're saying Jim; one manual and their bullets simplifies the head scratching. The one thing MOST handloaders do, is once we have a favorite or preferred load, we stick to it, don't even look it up any longer. I haven't loaded for 30-06 in about 10-12 years, but, know what to load for the 150's, 165's and 180's. Same with .38 spl and now for .45Colt. Manuals are a must tho; you just have to have 'em.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 am
The one thing MOST handloaders do, is once we have a favorite or preferred load, we stick to it, don't even look it up any longer. I haven't loaded for 30-06 in about 10-12 years, but, know what to load for the 150's, 165's and 180's. Same with .38 spl and now for .45Colt. Manuals are a must tho; you just have to have 'em.
agree but sadly in today's reality, that may or may not still be the case .... when I can get the components I've have come to trust and rely on, I walk in and buy them ... end of story .... when they aren't available, a very different story begins .... ;)
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm

All right, y'all shamed me in to ordering one. Quit kickin' now.
Jake
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:42 pm

for anyone who is considering getting into reloading, they have a How To section near the front that is outstanding .... I'm still in the 22 calibers and thoroughly enjoying it .... yep, no surprise there 8-)
0 x