Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Handload test #3

All things reloading here
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Handload test #3

Post by Squatch » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Not sure if this is actually #3 but what the heck. With the leading issues I've had I went down in load and have been trying different bullets.

For this test I went down another .5 gr of unique from previous. I also switched to a Berry's copper plated RNFP .429 dia. Before shooting these I ran 6 rds of factory 44 mags through the barrel to make sure it was real clean of lead. Cleaned before of course. I shot 36 rds of these cartridges over the chrono at 50 yds. Avg speed was 765fps. When I got home 1st glance down the bore was impressive. I found no leading when I cleaned the gun. Finally!

This was the 1st group I shot. I shot 2 before I realized I hadn't changed the rear sight from the Mag setting. These rds are basically 44 spl power level.

Accuracy wise these have potential. I was pretty tired yesterday so wasn't shooting great. Next step is to add a little more powder. Since these bullets are not leading so far I want to up the power level a little and see if the groups tighten up. If that works out OK I'll order 500 more of these bullets! For the rifle I really want a rd that is around 1,000fps. Nice light recoil at that level and should hopefully keep tight groups when I stretch out to 100 yds.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Hack
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Handload test #3

Post by Hack » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:27 pm

I am glad you got a handle on the leading. Sub 800 fps seemed low, so I agree with trying go add a little more powder.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks for the good report of your progress, Squatch. I'm curious about Berry's plated bullets. How would you describe the crimp you use on them?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:30 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Thanks for the good report of your progress, Squatch. I'm curious about Berry's plated bullets. How would you describe the crimp you use on them?
That is the question with these isn't it? No canalure makes it kinda weird.

With all the cartridges I've built I make a few dummies with no primers or powder. To set crimp and bullet depth.

In the case of these bullets they are the same length as what I've been using. So 1st try I just left the seating/crimping die where it was and didn't force it. I then lightened up the crimp ever so slightly. I didn't want to cut the plating. I then tested the crimp against the table and by twisting. I couldn't make the bullet move. The crimp doesn't look real crimped but it works. It's also not as smooth as when crimped into a canalure. But the rds fed perfectly and shot well. No sign of bullet movement in the tube either.

I also used my kinetic hammer to remove a bullet from one of the dummies. No damage to the plating after crimping and banging the bullet out.

Since I've been loading lead .430 bullets I acquired and have been using a .430 cowboy expander plug. These are actually just plated soft lead bullets. .429 dia. I tried them in a couple of cases expanded with the .430 plug and they fit snug with no scarring of the plating. So I just left well enough alone. I'm a little concerned the .429 plug might scuff or shave them a little. So far so good.

I hope this helps.

Like said before just a beginner here. But because of that I do try to be extra careful about checking every step.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks, Squatch! That was a very helpful description of your careful process and results. Certainly, I'll give them try, too.

The lack of a cannelure and the thin copper plating has kept me buying any, so far. But, for slow fps rounds, they do seem to be an ideal, maybe perfect, bullet. Like you, I'm a cautious beginner. It's good to have company.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:42 pm

nice grouping at 50 yards .... we are working on reloads for our 44 and are following your progress with considerable interest
0 x