Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A spent bullet question.

All things reloading here
PT7
Drover
United States of America

A spent bullet question.

Post by PT7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm not able to find a forum for "ammunition" or "bullets." Since bullets are key to reloading, thought I'd place this here.

Can someone help with what you see in these two pictures?
DSCN1199.JPG
DSCN1194.JPG

This week when I was shooting my SP101 on the pistol range, I found this spent bullet on the ground right by the base of my target at 25 yards. It's a little wider than my .357 ammo, and I'm thinking it might be a .40 S&W. But that's not my issue or question.

I'm wondering what caused one side of the bullet to "be sheared off" like you see it? I took one top view picture, and the other showing the side of the bullet looking like it's "cut off" from top to bottom of bullet.

Here's the physical issues at the range. Again, the target was at 25 yards. The target itself has a wood 4"x4" base with two wood 2" doll rods (about 4' high) holding a soft, 4"-thick rubber target backing. We hold the paper targets in place using small nails and plastic washers. Finally, the rubber target backing has holes in it at the bottom, and slides onto the doll rods. Would any of the wood parts of this target do this to the bullet? I think not. I've seen bullet hits in the dolls before, and what is left is splintered wood.

So it would be interesting to find out what your eyes see. :geek: I know this might be a trivia question to some folk, but even so, it has me stumped. There may be a simple explanation, but I can't figure it. Thanks, Everyone.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: A spent bullet question.

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:00 pm

the only thing I've ever seen that looked similar is bullets that were skipped over a concrete parking lot .... much like a rock skipping across water
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:30 pm

Well, Double Duh!! :o

On the pistol side, the 25 yards from the shooting booth to the target is a concrete pad! Then there are another 25 yards to the farthest pistol target at 50 yards, and this distance is not concrete, but covered with small rock.

I never thought about a bullet "skipping" over the concrete (ground) like that. I think you've got it, JEBar. I'll be able to sleep more soundly tonight. :lol: But most of all, I'm glad it wasn't a .357 magnum bullet....that might have been mine doing the skipping around! :lol:
0 x

~Пока~

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 pm

I'd say somebody flinched bad an hit the ground with it!!
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:28 pm

You got that right....and what a flinch it was to shave 1/3 of that bullet away! :shock:
0 x

~Пока~