Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What about a good colonoscopy prep thread?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: What about a good colonoscopy prep thread?

Post by dave77 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:56 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:10 pm
FWIW Jim, many years ago I had an upper and lower GI exam and the upper was not nearly as bad as the lower.
Especially if you aren't having them done at the same time, you don't have to do the cleanse for a Endoscopy.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:27 pm

I'm sure it will be a learning experience :?
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 pm

Yeh! I had them done at the same time, but I was only about 30 years old. They were looking for ulcers, but found only superficial scarring.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 pm

happy to say, mine is over and we are back home .... initial reports look good, a couple of samples taken for lab testing .... no issues anticipated .... now to settle in and watch 4 racks of baby back ribs for our grandson's birthday and 3 for us smoking in our big smoker
2 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:55 pm

Glad it went well JEBar. I had my cystoscopy done this afternoon and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely a new life experience. Now the doc wants a CT.
Jake
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:33 pm

I'm glad that you both got through your procedures well.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Hoping for great results for all of you! Strong thoughts are with Coop and Carol.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:57 am

the prep for a colonoscopy remains the worst part ..... being sedated the procedure itself has never been an issue for me .... actually much better than dental work .... adding the upper GI part made no difference .... the doctor told me it would take about 4 minutes
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 pm

Colonoscopy is a piece of cake compared to a prostate needle biopsy. Had two of them a couple years ago. Inconclusive on the first one, and clean bill on the second. Prep isn't too bad, but the aftereffects are not a lot of fun. Still, much better than dying of prostate cancer. The two procedures are very similar, except that during a colonoscopy they don't jab a needle through your colon a dozen or more times. First trip to the bathroom afterwards is an eyeopener.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 am

clovishound wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 pm
Colonoscopy is a piece of cake compared to a prostate needle biopsy. Had two of them a couple years ago. Inconclusive on the first one, and clean bill on the second. Prep isn't too bad, but the aftereffects are not a lot of fun. Still, much better than dying of prostate cancer. The two procedures are very similar, except that during a colonoscopy they don't jab a needle through your colon a dozen or more times. First trip to the bathroom afterwards is an eyeopener.
I guess since this is a colonoscopy prep thread that has evolved into some discussion of related procedures so I will say I've never had a prostate needle biopsy (and hope I never have to) but I have had a hemorrhoidectomy and they can't give you enough pain meds to really help with trips to the bathrooms afterwards. My surgeon was honest and told me it would be "brutal", he said it's as close as a man can come to feeling what a woman goes through giving birth.

That said, when I had my foot surgery at Harborview I spent some time in the burn ward and I can't imagine going through the pain of having large areas of 3rd degree burns. One of the nurses told me some patients say they would rather die than go back to the debridement room.
0 x