Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Next Step, Knee Replacement

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Next Step, Knee Replacement

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 am

tomorrow morning will mark one week since having my right knee replaced .... thankfully, there have been positive developments but unfortunately, most of those developments have come at a cost .... the first couple of days were spent taking heavy narcotics ..... they did help with the pain but for me dealing with the side effects wasn't worth it .... Tylenol helps .... surgical pain is constant, hopefully the natural healing process will lower it over time .... the worse frustration comes from wearing the tight surgical thigh-high stockings .... no doubt they are doing their job of helping reduce the possibility of blood clots but that pressure on the surgical site sure seems to keep it stirred up .... there has been no such thing as a good night's sleep, hopefully that too will improve .... another visit from a physical therapists is due tomorrow .... thankfully, progress is being made
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:39 am

I know what you mean about the stockings. Mine were only knee length, but they were hot and uncomfortable to wear. I had to take blood-thinning tablets to avoid clotting, and the stockings had to stay on until the tablets were finished. I don't think the last pill was halfway down my throat before I pulled those socks off! ;)

The worst part for me initially was trying to get the quadriceps tendons/ligaments functioning again. They get pretty well sliced up during surgery, so that lifting the leg up from the bed was very difficult. Fortunately, with a lot of quiet cussing, face pulling and determination it's now a lot easier. The first out-patient physio is on Tuesday, and the staples also come out on Tuesday evening, so that will be another step along the road to recovery.

JEBar, I hope you continue to make good progress. I can honestly say "I know what you're going through", but it does get easier. I think it's more stubbornness than technique that's getting me through it, but I'll do whatever it takes. I'll also be doing my darndest to look after my good knee .... I certainly don't want to go through this again any time soon! :lol:

Have you tried using ice packs to reduce the swelling and bruising? Packets of frozen peas wrapped in a towel make excellent DIY packs. Just put them back in the freezer for 20 minutes once they have warmed up. I wouldn't recommend eating them afterwards, though! ;)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:34 am

great to hear you are recovering .... hopefully the pace of the recovery will pickup quickly

Les wrote:I know what you mean about the stockings. Mine were only knee length, but they were hot and uncomfortable to wear. I had to take blood-thinning tablets to avoid clotting, and the stockings had to stay on until the tablets were finished. I don't think the last pill was halfway down my throat before I pulled those socks off! ;)
I was told I should wear the socks for 3 weeks and that's what I'll do .... wish I could have gotten away with knee-highs but the cut on the front of my left knee runs from 3 - 4" above the knee to about the same below .... I make it a point to change the bandages daily and, thankfully, there has been very little evidence of bleeding .... no sign of any infection

Les wrote:The worst part for me initially was trying to get the quadriceps tendons/ligaments functioning again. They get pretty well sliced up during surgery, so that lifting the leg up from the bed was very difficult. Fortunately, with a lot of quiet cussing, face pulling and determination it's now a lot easier. The first out-patient physio is on Tuesday, and the staples also come out on Tuesday evening, so that will be another step along the road to recovery.
all too well understood on the difficulty with lifting my leg up from the bed .... thankfully, that issue began to improve quickly .... right now I find it hard to bend my leg at that knee .... doing so stretches the area of the incision which makes it very stiff
Les wrote:JEBar, I hope you continue to make good progress. I can honestly say "I know what you're going through", but it does get easier. I think it's more stubbornness than technique that's getting me through it, but I'll do whatever it takes. I'll also be doing my darndest to look after my good knee .... I certainly don't want to go through this again any time soon! :lol:
I do thank you for your insights and comments .... it helps to hear from someone who has personal experience .... I keep telling myself that the current phase will come to an end .... if forced to, I'll have the other one done .... but, I'll be better mentally prepared for the aftermath

Les wrote:Have you tried using ice packs to reduce the swelling and bruising? Packets of frozen peas wrapped in a towel make excellent DIY packs. Just put them back in the freezer for 20 minutes once they have warmed up. I wouldn't recommend eating them afterwards, though! ;)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:19 pm

A couple tricks when you start working on range of motion recovery.
(I had nine knee surgeries on the right knee, the last two a total replacement in'98, and a revision of that replacement in '12. Last year, I fell and did major damage to the right femur. It turned the foot 90 degrees out. The knee and hip took a real beating. I was five months learning to walk again.) Meh... I know about pt and recovery.

First.. when you are allowed back in the tub... if you can... work the knee in a hot tub. Really worked wonders for me on the speed at which I got back my ROM.

Second.. get a chair or stool with wheels, and preferably one you can raise and lower.
Plant your foot on the floor and pull the chair toward the desk until you feel pain. Go just a tad more and hold for a few seconds. Push back. Repeat five to ten times. Whatever your pt guy says is good. When this gets too easy... lower the chair.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:29 pm

With the surgery for the femur, that makes twenty two...
The one thing I learned from my own experiences, and watching those around me, is you get out of PT exactly what you put in.
Half-azzed effort on the patient's part yields poor results... or at least takes forever to reach the goal. :cry:

On the flip side... pushing... giving a solid effort, both in the pt office, and at home: produces solid results in a much shorter time. :)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:47 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:On the flip side... pushing... giving a solid effort, both in the pt office, and at home: produces solid results in a much shorter time. :)
I couldn't agree more .... if it was easy, you probably didn't need to do it .... I now have 2 sessions with a therapists but have spent much more time working on the exercises alone
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

physical therapy continues and progress is being made .... in short, so far, so good ..... two more sessions here at home, to be followed by at least 6 sessions spread over 2 weeks at a Physical Therapy office .... since its my left knee, I can go back to driving .... that's a good thing ... :D
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Glad you are doing better. I'm sure not looking forward to hip surgery. I'm delaying it as long as possible.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:06 am

two weeks ago right now, I was in surgery .... overall things continue to go well/improve .... Physical Therapy is going well, somewhat less painful but certainly is more productive .... no issues I'm aware of with the area around the incision .... I am adapting to the compression hose but still detest them .... biggest current issue remains trouble sleeping .... getting up to 4 hours a night would be most welcome .... first followup appointment with the surgeon is scheduled for a week for tomorrow
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:40 am

Hang in there.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50