Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

City vs Country

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

City vs Country

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:03 am

This is my second day/night in Madison and it sure reminds me of Seattle in terms of noise and activity. I hear the roar of traffic and sirens all the time. Back in Ogema I hear owls and coyotes at night. I look out the motel window and see lights everywhere. In Ogema I don’t see another light from a house or street light, only the blinking light from a single AT&T tower a mile away.
6 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: City vs Country

Post by Cofisher » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:33 am

Living the dream, brother.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:02 am

Yeah,it’s quiet at my place now too. I have a minor highway at the bottom end of our property, so can hear trucks etc, but it’s a 40mph zone so not too bad. When I end up back at our place at the coast for work, the noise is incredibly noticeable now. My wife enjoys the bit of traffic noise we get here. She says it reminds her we aren’t alone :lol:
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:55 am

Cofisher wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:33 am
Living the dream, brother.
You would know because you’re seen my property.
Redthies wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:02 am
Yeah,it’s quiet at my place now too. I have a minor highway at the bottom end of our property, so can hear trucks etc, but it’s a 40mph zone so not too bad. When I end up back at our place at the coast for work, the noise is incredibly noticeable now. My wife enjoys the bit of traffic noise we get here. She says it reminds her we aren’t alone :lol:
I get some noise from the main road but not much because it’s a mile away and only has a hundred vehicles on it a day. I don’t get any airplane noise either. Woodinville was on the landing pattern to Paine Field which was 20 miles away. They were high enough that you could barely hear them. Sometimes they would come in too low and have to use their engines to gain altitude. That you would definitely hear. The biggest noises were from lawn mowers and chain saws. Now the loudest noise here is someone shooting. Oh wait that’s me.
4 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:49 am

I can sure relate. I've stayed at some places where there was that kind of noise all night. One place must have been on a favorable truck route that was uphill yet. Sure makes one appreciate your own house in the country. We can only hear a little road noise with loud vehicles on a very quiet day.

That said, this reminds me of an all out city woman I once knew. She complained the other way around, lol. She stayed at a relatives house in the country and said all she could hear was birds chirping. She comically imitated "tweet, tweet, tweet". She was glad to get back to the city to hear some traffic noise outside her door. Sure not for me, lol.
1 x
NRA Member

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am

I'll stay in the country thank you. It's been mud season for months, but it's great.
3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:29 am

I too enjoy the county life and the ability to shoot right here in my own yard.
We live a quarter mile from a small State hwy., but the traffic isn't bad.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 am

When we still lived in the suburbs we had a fairly busy 45 mph road at the back of our property. When we moved there we both worked swing shift 3:30 to midnight. The daytime traffic wasn’t to noisy while working out in the yard in the mornings. Getting home at 1:00 am there was no traffic noise at all. Then we switched to dayshift 7:00 to 3:30. So home for the evening rush hour traffic. Wow, that was something. After a year of this we sold and moved rural. That was 20 years ago and we haven’t missed the suburbs a bit!

Here at this place we are about 2 miles from the main highway and if we try hard we can barely hear the trucks on the highway.

I think I have said this before but the difference between city and country living is best described like this.

In the city folks ignore sirens and get alarmed with gunshots.

In the country folks ignore gunshots and get alarmed when a siren is heard.
5 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:21 am

Hey Hatch, you're right about the gun shots out here, but those sirens don't alarm me much either. ;) :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 am

Here in Casa Grande there is always traffic noise and sirens due to the hospital being right
across the street, but at home we live half a mile back in dense timber and although we can
hear an occasional truck using a jake brake, mostly it's very quiet. I do love it so.
When I met Carol 30 years ago she was a city girl and had never lived in the country and was
in fact worried we were all pot bellied beer guzzlers. (Well, she was partly right I guess).
Anyway she never spent a night at my house until we were married and those first few weeks
were interesting. An Owl would kill a rabbit in the night and she'd sit straight up in bed
exclaiming, "What in the hell was that?" Now, thirty years later she takes it all in stride.
3 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66