Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

City vs Country

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: City vs Country

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:48 pm

Here. I shoot off the back deck and front porch..Have killed deer off the front porch.....Wife doesn't mind as long as I sweep up the brass.......Love the night sounds and silence........Iffen we stay in a city a when going on vacation......The constant noise and light keep me awake.
Light pollution? Thankfully we don't have it here(love the black dark!).........In and around towns light pollution fills the night.
1 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: City vs Country

Post by rickhem » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 am

My GF and I both grew up in Northern NJ, where homes are on 30x80 lots, and traffic is an everyday part of life. Gets really bad around the malls between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but other times, you just accept it. We're now living where we have a driveway that is almost a quarter mile and you can't even see the house from the road. There's a county road that is about 3/4 mile to our south, and you can hear the occasional truck or motorcycle ripping up or down that, but otherwise it's pretty quiet. We were sitting out by the fire pit last June and enjoying a little time with the fire, and she had some music playing for a bit. I asked her to shut it off so we could just hear nature, but a family of coyotes a couple hundred yards down along the field were yipping and the little ones joining in made it sound like they were just outside of the firelight. That spooked her pretty good.
Our only light pollution is the blue and green front porch lights, and a barn light that I have on a detached garage out in front of the house, lighting up that area of the driveway. From behind the house, in the shadow of the house from those lights, you can really see the night sky well. My favorite is the nights in spring when the lightning bugs are all over the fields below the house. You have to let your eyes acclimate for 10-15 minutes, but once you do, you can see the thousands and thousands of them blinking all across the fields. It's one of those things that once you see them, and realize what it is you're looking at, it's breathtaking.
5 x