Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shipping containers.....

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Shipping containers.....

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:15 am

Looking for a 10 footer to setup in my range area for larger storage of my targets. That size seems to be difficult to find but that is the size to easily fit where I want it to go and plenty big enough. Cleaning out my cabin/shed so I can finish it off inside and compared to the cost of small sheds plastic or wood looks to be the cheaper way to go for something long lasting and affordable.
Any folks here use them?
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Shipping containers.....

Post by Vaquero » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:20 am

We bought a 20' a few years ago for some extra storage.
A 10 footer would be nice to store the zero-turn and scooter for the winter though.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:28 am

Funny, just last evening I was doing a search for a small shed to use when I get my range set up. I had the same thought as you about a 10’ shipping container. I’m going to keep looking and if I find a source I’ll let you know. I did find a 4x4 new wood shed for $850. I only need enough space for my target stand and portable bench.

A Spokane bowling alley is replacing their pins and are selling the used pins for $1 so I grabbed 10 to use as targets.

ETA:

I did just find this local company and here is what their price for a 10’ container is.

“ Average Cost of 10 ft Container For Sale in Spokane
Dimensions: 10'L x 8'W x 8'H. The smallest container offered is a good option for on-site storage in areas where you don't have enough space to fit a larger container. Can conveniently fit in most backyards and has a total capacity of 640 cubic ft. A one-trip 10' shipping container in Spokane costs from $2,800 to $3,800 and a WWT or CW costs from $2,200 to $3,300.”
2 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:12 pm

I find that the wooden sheds which are delivered to the user don't seem to have a long life. For that reason, I would prefer a metal shipping container simply for longevity.

Also, I too would prefer a shorter container over a longer container so that I would not have to find a pathway thru' "stuff" to get what I want out of the rear of the container.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12 pm

I have found the 20 footers for 1500 around here and today was measuring where I want to put it near the target area. A 20 would fit but the 10 footer would blend in better and do the job. No big rush as I have to clear out some brush and level the area a bit. Have a good pile of gravel down there to spread for a nice level surface but would set it up on blocks in case of heavy rains.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:32 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12 pm
I have found the 20 footers for 1500 around here and today was measuring where I want to put it near the target area. A 20 would fit but the 10 footer would blend in better and do the job. No big rush as I have to clear out some brush and level the area a bit. Have a good pile of gravel down there to spread for a nice level surface but would set it up on blocks in case of heavy rains.
I was a bit “shocked” at the price for a 10 footer but I shouldn’t have been. You’re 20’ at $1500 is more what I expected to see.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:58 pm

Talked to a couple of dealers this morning and a nice 20ft. one is $2135 delivered not bad at all for the size. However getting the rig in there is the issue according to their delivery requirements. Due to weight they want to stay on asphalt and hard dry gravel at the least and I don't have that with where it has to go once off the driveway. A 10 footer you have to buy new and like $ 4000 including delivery! Looks like I will build what I need in place and it doesn't need to be that big.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:22 am

I’m having a metal garage built. Mine will be 30x50. They also make smaller sheds and might be another option for those looking at containers.

https://www.behrsbuildings.com/products/garages/
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:11 am

Hatchdog, you could pick up a 10 footer at the Seattle or Tacoma port, if you could borrow or rent a 1 ton pickup with a completely flat ute bed. Tare weight of the small size container is just 2645 pounds. They would fork it on at the pickup spot, you could simply drag it off the truck at your property and move it pretty easily on skids or with a tractor. Just thinking out loud, I don't know if it would suit.

If you have a business or know a friend with one, this is an option:

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 8.06.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 8.06.12 AM.png (410.79 KiB) Viewed 157 times

I am kind of interested in this thread. I would like a small one, but I would have to clad it in wood and put a peaked roof on it due to covenants, so that adds nearly the cost of a full blown wood shed. But it would be way more secure and durable than a $1000 shed.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:01 am

That’s an interesting idea John. I have a truck and trailer with the capacity to haul a 10’ container but the width may not work out as my trailer is less than 8’ wide and has rails. I’ll have to do some measuring. I doubt these containers are available less than 8’ wide as they need to nest/stack with other containers. But it’s worth a look. Thanks,
1 x