Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Family Portrait

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Family Portrait

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:55 am

Vaquero wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:13 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:54 pm
Vaquero wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:20 pm
Nice set Gene, how do you like the Tisas?

RP
A lot. It took a little time to get it broke in, but that's behind us now. I carry it occasionally instead of my Sig. I shoot a mag or 2 about once a month, same as my other guns.
Cool, thanks for the info, I've seen a couple advertised and wondered about 'em.
They can be had at a relatively comfortable price, I may try one later this year.

RP
You can figure around 100 rds to break-in, but working it dryfire style while watching TV or something will reduce the round count. Watch for wear areas inside the slide, etc. where it will rub off the finish. Pretty standard stuff. I polished up the wear spots with some very fine compound and a dremel, so it's pretty slick now. :) Factory mags that are provided are a pain. I still use them, but prefer aftermarket. Bought a 1/2 dozen 8rnd Wilson Combat mags, which are far superior.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:11 am

When I was shooting PPC I shot the Wilson Mags in my Springfield 1911 for the Auto Class and rarely had one give me a problem. Liked them a lot.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:22 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:43 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:17 pm
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:00 pm
Like the holster, I'll have to make one for my Kimber Ultra II.
Holster from Diamond D. I mounted the emblem is all. Had to trim the screw so it wouldn't scratch, and a little epoxy to hold it in the hole and fill the back.
I'm still practicing my leather work, will give the holster a try and post a pic if it turns out. ;) I found some Marine Corps conchos I have been dying to use. I have been practicing my tooling for the gunbelt. This oak leaf and acorn practice piece isn't done, but it's coming along. I worked on the background shading this afternoon but forgot my phone when I went out to the shop. If you are interested, I'll get a pic and post it tomorrow. ;)

240129 oak leaves and acorns.jpg
Sure. Always interested in other folks handiwork. :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:05 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:55 am
Vaquero wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:54 pm

A lot. It took a little time to get it broke in, but that's behind us now. I carry it occasionally instead of my Sig. I shoot a mag or 2 about once a month, same as my other guns.
Cool, thanks for the info, I've seen a couple advertised and wondered about 'em.
They can be had at a relatively comfortable price, I may try one later this year.

RP
You can figure around 100 rds to break-in, but working it dryfire style while watching TV or something will reduce the round count. Watch for wear areas inside the slide, etc. where it will rub off the finish. Pretty standard stuff. I polished up the wear spots with some very fine compound and a dremel, so it's pretty slick now. :) Factory mags that are provided are a pain. I still use them, but prefer aftermarket. Bought a 1/2 dozen 8rnd Wilson Combat mags, which are far superior.
Appreciate the heads-up on the mags., that reminds me of when my then neighbor bought a Kimber. The mag that came with it was garbage and wouldn't function worth a crap. We were down out the barn shooting and after a few malfunctions I popped the mag out of my Rock Island. Said try this one, to our surprise it ran smoothly and not one hiccup. I thought, if you pay a grand for a pistol it should come with a decent mag.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:22 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:05 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:55 am
Vaquero wrote:

RP
Appreciate the heads-up on the mags., that reminds me of when my then neighbor bought a Kimber. The mag that came with it was garbage and wouldn't function worth a crap. We were down out the barn shooting and after a few malfunctions I popped the mag out of my Rock Island. Said try this one, to our surprise it ran smoothly and not one hiccup. I thought, if you pay a grand for a pistol it should come with a decent mag.

RP
I've heard of quite a few issues with the Kimber - John Wick notwithstanding. ;)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:14 pm

I put in few more sessions, arthritis determines the length of time I spend in the shop, especially at projects that are hand intense. :lol:
The first couple were spent on background shading... it makes the foreground really pop.

240130 background.jpg
240130 background.jpg (481.67 KiB) Viewed 60 times

The next couple sessions were spent adding detail and color to the tooled sections. I still haven't gotten back what I lost. Miss T liked the results, I am happy with the improvement, but not back to where I was and no where near the quality of the work I see in the guys I watch on youtube. Practice will help me get closer. ;)

240130 antiqued.jpg
240130 antiqued.jpg (355.88 KiB) Viewed 60 times

I look at the piece and see the mistakes I made and will use it to improve. But, like most hobbyists, it's what "I'll" always see. Others see the beauty of the project and may never see the errors unless they work in the medium. (Woodworking, ceramics, leather... ) We will always see what we did wrong. :lol:

I enjoy the practice as well as making something I'll use. More videos to watch, more practice to get busy on.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 pm

Looks great to me!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry