Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What type of "gun nut" are you?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: What type of "gun nut" are you?

Post by Ernie » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:44 pm

The majority of my rifles are rimfire and most of them are lever or bolt action. Most of them are older guns of various makes and they have wood furniture. I do have some straight wall pistol cartridge centerfire levers, single action pistols and pump shotguns but most are rimfire including handguns. I just like to hit targets and plink. It pleases me. Maybe 6 years ago I shot a 1911 my Dad left me and I found that they felt right and I have acquired a few more including 2 In 10mm. They are fun too. Not a Glock fan, but I do have Berettas in 22, 25, 32, 9 and 40.
1 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:35 pm

I have a few off the rack bolt guns and more than a few custom smithed bench and prairie dog bolts. I'm a big fan of Smith revolvers and also a fan of 1911's. I'm down to just a couple 5 shot big bore single actions. Had my fling with heavy recoil. :lol: I never was a lever person due to the sour taste left over from a Marlin 1894 about 20 years ago but have recently become a Henry addict here in my declining years!
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:41 am

My type has changed over the decades. I liked hi-power military rifles and pistols and even machine guns. Now days I’m more into rimfire and prefer a lever, bolt or pump more than a semi although my last report was with a 10/22.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:59 am

When I began accumulating firearms in the mid 70’s if it wasn’t a wood stocked blue steel rifle, wood stocked blue steel pump shotgun or a revolver I had no interest in it. I was that way for years until my son went thru basic and when he came home he bought an AR. I kinda liked it so I picked one up and that changed my outlook. I went thru a series of poly framed pistols, composite rifles and shotguns and so forth. Now I’m finding as I get to the last stage of life that I’m returning to my roots as other than a few AR’s my guns are wood stocked blue steel barrel’s. And my few semi pistols are steel framed external hammer style plus a few revolvers too. Life has run full circle for me. It’s been a fun journey.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:26 am

My Guns have also changed. I like revolters but only own 2 that are double action. Im a Levergun rifle single action pistol first nut. After that I have drifted into 9mm good semi auto pistols like CZ and I have a few semi auto rifles I have started to shoot more. 10/22 has always been one of my favorites. I should have added that when it comes to shotguns Over/Unders are just a thing of beauty at my house.
Last edited by BigAl52 on Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 am

My Army issue rifle was the M16 but for my rural Illinois lifestyle I never have had an interest in black rifles. I really like blued firearms with walnut grips or stocks. I lean heavily to revolvers (single action & double action), lever guns, and pump shotguns. My preference in brands is Ruger and Henry.
My pump shotguns are older Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's and I really enjoy shooting clay pigeons.
I am not big on semi-auto firearms but I do have a Ruger Mark IV, A Ruger LC9s, and an Ithaca 51 Ducks Unlimited 12 gauge. I had a Marlin 60 .22LR but sold it when the grand kids started shooting out of concern for the safety of by standers. Now that the grand kids are all grown up, I sometimes get the urge to have a Ruger 10/22.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:05 am

Interesting to hear about so many shooters making room for the 10/22 in their shooting, even when not having other semi-auto 22s. Oh, I agree very much. I remember shooting a friend's 10/22 just a few years after the 10/22 came out and thinking to myself what a fun, handy little gun it was to shoot. Just hard to put down. Nothing else like it at the time.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:11 am

Steve51 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 am
My Army issue rifle was the M16 but for my rural Illinois lifestyle I never have had an interest in black rifles. I really like blued firearms with walnut grips or stocks. I lean heavily to revolvers (single action & double action), lever guns, and pump shotguns. My preference in brands is Ruger and Henry.
My pump shotguns are older Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's and I really enjoy shooting clay pigeons.
I am not big on semi-auto firearms but I do have a Ruger Mark IV, A Ruger LC9s, and an Ithaca 51 Ducks Unlimited 12 gauge. I had a Marlin 60 .22LR but sold it when the grand kids started shooting out of concern for the safety of by standers. Now that the grand kids are all grown up, I sometimes get the urge to have a Ruger 10/22.
Getca one Steve and I bet you will wonder why you didnt get one sooner. More fun than we should be allowed.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:19 pm

Hey Al, no mention of them smoke poles. ;) :lol:

As to the 10/22's. I had a pair at one time and loved them, as did the two youngest.
Mine were the SS models, now they belong to them.
I was without a semi-auto 22 for a long time.
Then came across a late production M60, then the old Marlin M 89c.
Both of these are accurate and fun enough.
Who knows another 10/22 may end up back here at some point, but
I'm in no real need of one. ;)

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:17 pm

As a follow up, I have been looking at this: https://rossiusa.com/revolvers/rp63
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).