Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Man's Greatest Invention

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Man's Greatest Invention

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:17 pm

Man’s Greatest Invention
Reading the ‘Instruction Manual’ thread reminded me of a joke I heard 40 years ago.

Three construction workers, Bob, Fred and Hank, were eating lunch at work. All week the TV news had been reporting on the recent Apollo 11 moon landing. As they discussed it Bob said, “If I had to pick Man’s greatest invention it would be the rocket ship. Just think, one day you’re climbing into a capsule at Cape Canaveral, and six days later you’re walking on the moon.”
This prompted Fred to speak up, “Yeah, that was pretty great, but I’d have to say the greatest invention has to be the computer. I mean you sit there and ask it a question, any question, some lights flash and tape spins around and a minute later it’s telling you the answer. To me that’s nothing short of incredible!”
These two guys look at the third man figuring he can’t possibly top their choices. After a minute Hank says, “I’d say man’s greatest invention has to be the thermos bottle.” Both Bob and Fred burst out laughing. Bob says, “How can you compare a thermos bottle to a rocket ship?” and Fred chimes in, “Or a computer? A thermos bottle is just a thermos bottle. It can’t take you anywhere or tell you what you want to know.”
Hank says, “You guys just don’t get it. If you poor hot coffee into a thermos in the morning you know it will be hot when you poor it out six hours later.” Bob says, “Yeah, so what.” Hank continues saying, “If you pour ice tea into your thermos you know it will still be cold six hours later too.” Again Bob says, “What is so remarkable about that?”
Hank smiles and says, “That’s what is so incredible, how does the thermos know which one to do?”
10 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Man's Greatest Invention

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:11 pm

I think slided bread is the greatest invention.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:08 am

I always tell my Grandchildren that man's greatest invention was indoor plumbing.
Strangely they don't understand. :lol:
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:22 am

although the wheel and the printing press are worthy of consideration, as far as its impact on history over time, I believe that the invention of gun powder and its evolution over time to be one of the greatest
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:51 am

The bicycle.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:38 am

Without any doubt, The Round Toit. . Infinitely adaptable to any need or circumstance. :D
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:38 pm

1. Written language
2. Mathematics
3. Compass
4. Gunpowder
5. Printing Press
6. Electric Light
7. Telecommunication
8. Vaccines
9. Refrigeration
10. Mini-Skirt
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:08 am
I always tell my Grandchildren that man's greatest invention was indoor plumbing.
I think the invention of TP goes along with and is just as important as indoor plumbing. Hasn't really been around that long but I can hardly imagine not having it. After the shortage of it during Covid I'm not exactly hoarding it but I do keep a several month supply on hand.

Imagine handing your Grandkids a magazine or newspaper on the way to the indoor plumbing and telling them it's not for reading.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Modern day vehicle tires. Any tires. They take scads of abuse and just keep going. Year after year.
I know, I know; there are MANY things more important, but, them tires just keep rollin'! :o
3 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:14 pm

dave77 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 pm
cooperhawk wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:08 am
I think the invention of TP goes along with and is just as important as indoor plumbing. Hasn't really been around that long but I can hardly imagine not having it. After the shortage of it during Covid I'm not exactly hoarding it but I do keep a several month supply on hand.

Imagine handing your Grandkids a magazine or newspaper on the way to the indoor plumbing and telling them it's not for reading.
Bidet, I learned about this, the first time that I visited Europe. Thought about getting one, during our COVID-19 response. Yet, they were in short supply. I have still been keeping an eye out for one though. My wife even reminded me about it. I may get around to it one day. So far, TP has been in pretty descent supply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).