Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:51 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:46 pm
Yup, a real hassle. When we left VA there had been a shooting on Quantico Marine Base, a Domestic thing. So, of course the Base Commander banned all non military firearms from the base for those NOT living in base housing. Prior to that you could lock unloaded firearms in the trunk of the vehicle. Many of the military bases now ban personal weapons from the base. This prevents those who need to come on the base for Medical, Dental, or to use the facilities such as the Exchange or Commissary from protecting themselves during the trip to and from the bases, therefore many decide NOT to use the base facilities available to them. NOT worth the risk in today's environment.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's going change anytime soon regardless of what happens with the USPS ruling.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:55 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:31 pm
Well what you can't see you can't see.
Military bases still conduct random vehicle searches at the gates, sometimes with a dog.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:18 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:55 pm
fortyshooter wrote:
Military bases still conduct random vehicle searches at the gates, sometimes with a dog.
... and a felony conviction can cost you your military benefits, or at least your VA benefits.... just not worth the risk for me. :evil:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:33 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Until you are tagged for a random vehicle search. They routinely stop and search random vehicles entering the base. Being caught with an unauthorized weapon in your vehicle would certainly result in forfeiture of on base privileges, and could possibly involve a federal criminal charge. I've been the subject of one of these searches several times over the decades. I never had anything in my car that I shouldn't, but I know for a fact that anytime I enter the base, I could be directed over to the side and be subject to a vehicle search.

Not worth it to me.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:17 am

clovishound wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:33 am
fortyshooter wrote:
Until you are tagged for a random vehicle search. They routinely stop and search random vehicles entering the base. Being caught with an unauthorized weapon in your vehicle would certainly result in forfeiture of on base privileges, and could possibly involve a federal criminal charge. I've been the subject of one of these searches several times over the decades. I never had anything in my car that I shouldn't, but I know for a fact that anytime I enter the base, I could be directed over to the side and be subject to a vehicle search.

Not worth it to me.
About 10-12 years ago, a few installations around the country experimented with allowing personal firearms on base for trips to the Commissary, etc. as long as they were locked up and you had a military ID card. Went on for about a year, IIRC, and then the brass got nervous about it.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:25 am

The thing that really sucked was that all the LE Firearms Instructor classes I took were held at Quantico on the FBI ranges. Those are located in the middle of the base. I wonder how those would be affected by the new rules. I guess with confirmation letters from the class you'd be fine, otherwise they might stroke out with several handguns, an M4, shotgun, and scoped bolt gun and a couple thousand rounds of ammo in the trunk during a gate search. LOL.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 am

Well, our base has a skeet range. I have used it several times. You are fine if you use the designated gate, have your shotguns unloaded, separate from the ammo and in the trunk, and tell the gate guard what you have, and are going to the skeet range. I never had an issue other than one new guy on the gate having to ask his supervisor. Supervisor said, no problem and we went on our merry way.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:30 pm

FT. Meade MD has a range and if you belong to the rifle and gun club you can use it. Also, FT. Gordan GA you can use the range with Mil ID and register your arms.
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:08 pm

Constitution? It is a nice document.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).