Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rich Folks.

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Rich Folks.

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:30 am

I certainly didn’t grow up “rich” but wasn’t poor either. My dad had a good union job with Western Electric and my mom stayed home until my youngest brother started school. Then she went to work at a local music store where she worked in her high school days. We had a comfortable home in a great neighborhood full of families and lots of kids. It was located on the edge of Spokane’s largest city park so we had a wonderful playground.

My dad’s dad was a golfer but with four kids my dad told me he couldn’t afford to get us kids involved in golf. So he bought us all fishing rods and got a 12’ fishing boat. We had a family vacation every summer but never a trip involving aircraft. Always a trip to a lake camping for a week. Best ever. He along with my two uncles went together and bought a family travel trailer. A monster at 17’ :lol: . Picture the six of us in that tiny trailer. We had a lot of fun in that trailer most times traveling less than 100 miles to our destination. We also spent many summer vacations at Lake Mary Ronan in Montana south of Kalispel in the NW corner of the state. My grandparents had a tiny trailer permanently located at this lake and they would spend the summer there and we would visit most years.

I guess I did grow up rich, rich in family and fun.
3 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:10 pm

Great posts fellas.........I came up through some of the same.
0 x

SaltCreek
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SaltCreek » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:18 pm

At times, I knew we were poor, at times we were middle class, but I knew one thing... we were happier most time than that family. Closer too. When I'd read that money doesn't buy happiness, I knew exactly what it meant.
[/quote]

I was speaking with the neighbor I graduated HS with recently. He has a family of 4 children, farms & ag repair. He asked his grandfather what it was like in the depression. He said if no one told us there was one, we'd never known it. They all just figured that's how life was. So much in life is relative to ones mind set. Yes, there are circumstances to be lived with, but with faith and hard work, they also can be motivation to overcome them.

But with that being said, I was also taught to never forget where you come from.
4 x

SuperSixEvo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SuperSixEvo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:44 pm

Being rich is subjective. We grew up having the basics and just a little more. What I mean is we had birthdays, and Christmas. I never got a mini bike or dirt bike, we took one vacation my entire adolescence to the beach. I never thought we were poor, just not as much as some. I looked back as an adult in my late 30's thinking we were poor as the secular world sees it, but we're rich with family that stayed together and of course our devout belief.

I would not trade that life for anything now and would repeat it 1000 times just to have my mom back who passed away last year. My dad is still with us. Poor.......maybe as the world saw it, rich beyond all measure. TYJ
3 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:51 pm

How the heck did I miss this thread from last year!? Certainly rings true.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:54 am

Rifletom wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:51 pm
How the heck did I miss this thread from last year!? Certainly rings true.
I’m so poor I can’t even pay attention.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater