Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Our Morning Coffee and Weather

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: Our Morning Coffee and Weather

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 am

-11°F,Humidity 76%
Sunny and cold, with a high near 0. Wind chill values as low as -29.
West wind 5 to 10 mph. Barometer 30.44
BBBRRRRRrr!
Not much on tap today, I have enough ammo loaded for now, so I'll get some honey does done.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:37 am

Sunny & cold today: a low of -17 and an expected high of 5; it’s currently-17, wind chill of -34 and a wind chill warning so not much going on today. Everyone have a great day! 🇺🇸
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 am

brm4450 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:37 am
Sunny & cold today: a low of -17 and an expected high of 5; it’s currently-17, wind chill of -34 and a wind chill warning so not much going on today. Everyone have a great day! 🇺🇸
BRM
Do you heat with natural gas up there?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:55 am

It was cooler this morning as a front moved through the area. 47° this morning on the dog walk with a fine mist. It's supposed to be rainey all week. I cooked bacon, eggs, toast and coffee this morning. I posted a nice picture on the Traces thread of some cowboys tending herd on the Long X ranch back in 1891.
Jake
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:35 am

dave77 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 pm
Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:08 pm
The big chill is here, woke up to 5 above and it’s up to 8 now. Should see 21 later and it’s a bright sunny day out there. Winds are light now but it was blowing pretty good yesterday making for below zero wind chills.

No plans to go outside today other than maybe up to the LGS in Deer Park. Washington State is trying to put an “assault” weapon ban in place and so far it has passed out of committee on party lines. If this happens in the general legislature it will become law. So my wife is pestering me to pick up another semi-auto before this happens. I’m good on .223/5.56 so I’m thinking about a 300 Blackout or maybe a PCC in 9mm.
I guess I'm a little further from the cold front, 31 right now and only got down to 22 last night. Supposed to be colder the next few days and then warm up some.

I'm thinking I may pick up a .22 semi-auto, probably a Ruger 10-22. I don't think it's on the banned list but who really knows for sure?? Also the bill is a emergency bill so it goes into affect as soon as Insley signs it.
Happy the cold front didn’t get to you Dave. The weatherman told me this morning that the front is going to exit our area sooner than thought. Good for me and you but the weather guy also said that poor ole’ Coop, Sir Henry, NCG and all others living in the upper mid west will continue to suffer.

Woke up to minus 6 but it’s now up to a balmy minus 4. Should see 19 later and then a gradual warm up to highs above freezing by the end of the week.

Heading out shortly for eye doc appointments then back home to keep the fire going.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am

My morning routine these days is, coffee, cookies, shower and then dress warm and go feed the turkeys.
We have a couple foot of snow but the real problem is the inch of ice between layers. The turkeys cannot
scratch through the ice to get to their food, so the neighbors and I are putting bird seed out for them once
a day. When I go out back I have a worn trail through the snow so I don't need my snow shoes. I take a one
gallon pail of seed and scatter it around. There is never a turkey in sight, but as soon as I come back in and
look out the window there is a least a dozen that appear magically. Then I go out front and it is the same.
They're watching from the woods. :o
They're very skitterish. Even if I draw open the drapes they fly wildly away. I guess if I was the best eating thing in
the woods, I would be as well. :D
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 am

the rain forecasted for this morning came and moved out before daylight .... looking out, we still have a thick cloud cover, no rain, 51 right now, projected to reach 58 .... we were up early (OK, early for us) so as to take our daughter's Suburban in for some sort of alert and to haul off trash and recycling .... thoroughly enjoyed this morning's breakfast that included my favorite BoJangles Supreme Chicken Tenders .... more medical appointments have been scheduled for both of us
0 x

Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mike_S » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:44 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 am
the rain forecasted for this morning came and moved out before daylight .... looking out, we still have a thick cloud cover, no rain, 51 right now, projected to reach 58 ....
Same here, temp on the way to 61! Have medical appt this afternoon, otherwise just chillin'.
Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:08 pm
No plans to go outside today other than maybe up to the LGS in Deer Park. Washington State is trying to put an “assault” weapon ban in place and so far it has passed out of committee on party lines. If this happens in the general legislature it will become law. So my wife is pestering me to pick up another semi-auto before this happens. I’m good on .223/5.56 so I’m thinking about a 300 Blackout or maybe a PCC in 9mm.
I have the 556 AR (of course I do :D ), I picked up a 308 AR, before reading about how all the budget makes just sling any ole AR parts in them. I did get a proper replacement buffer, spring and tube from a kind soul, and another offered to correct the gas port size and the gas tube length, just shipping. I am pleased and honored to know good folks. Anyway, I really wanted a 30 cal AR, in a common cartridge and 300 blk is not common enough, yet.
2 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:50 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:35 am
[Happy the cold front didn’t get to you Dave. The weatherman told me this morning that the front is going to exit our area sooner than thought. Good for me and you but the weather guy also said that poor ole’ Coop, Sir Henry, NCG and all others living in the upper mid west will continue to suffer.

Woke up to minus 6 but it’s now up to a balmy minus 4. Should see 19 later and then a gradual warm up to highs above freezing by the end of the week.

Heading out shortly for eye doc appointments then back home to keep the fire going.
Got down to 12 last night and now at just after noon it's up to 25. Prediction is for a little bit warmer the next few days and up to 39 by Friday and low/mid 40's for the weekend.

Going to have some breakfast and then I get to call my glucose monitor sensor supplier and argue with them about why they are saying I owe them over $200 when I see they haven't even billed Medicare yet. Went through almost the same thing with them last year about them trying to charge me for both my Medicare and my supplemental insurance deductibles. They finally got a rep from my supplemental insurance on the line with us and he finally convinced them they couldn't charge me for their whole $200 deductible when they only paid around $40 after Medicare's payment. Luckily I'm going to a new brand of sensors and a new supplier when I run out of the sensors I have although I'm not going to tell them that until I get the $200 charge deleted.

They had also told me Medicare and my new Advantage insurance would not pay for a new receiver and they would have to charge me $1000 for it. The new supplier has already got approval for it paid in full by both insurances as soon as I run out of the sensors I have. On top of that I've seen the receiver for sale online for $279.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:07 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 am
brm4450 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:37 am
BRM
Do you heat with natural gas up there?
My mom grew up in North Dakota and went to live with an aunt in a larger town so she could attend High School. This was during the Depression and most people heated with coal and she told me that she and others would go along the railroad tracks to pick up any coal that fell off the coal tenders. My neighbor told me that his father told him that he did the same thing when he was a kid.
1 x