Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Here's strange one

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Here's strange one

Post by clovishound » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:55 pm

Went out early this morning to take pictures at a local swamp. After I'd been there an hour or so I suddenly noticed my thumb felt stiff. Incredibly swiftly it became very swollen and black and blue. I thought I'd been bitten by a spider and so packed up and headed for the car. On the way back to town I decided to head by the local doc in the box. Thought better of that and headed to the stand alone ER a couple blocks from my house. Doc thinks I was bitten by a snake. Fortunately, it didn't swell up that badly, and the swelling started going down while I was there under observation. In the end she wondered if I had actually been snakebitten, but there was nothing else she or I could think of that would match the symptoms. I suppose it could have been a nearly dry bite.

Shortly before my thumb started swelling, I was squatting down taking some lower angle pictures. When it was time to stand up, I put my left hand down on the pine needle litter to help my self standing up. That's when I think he got me, if he got me.

Being bitten by a snake makes for a good story. Possibly being bitten by a snake, not so much.

Anyway, managed to get a couple decent pics.
_DAB9839-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
_DAB9839-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 561 times

_DAB0210-DeNoiseAI-low-light copy.jpg
_DAB0210-DeNoiseAI-low-light copy.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 561 times
_DAB0094-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
_DAB0094-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg (971.16 KiB) Viewed 561 times
12 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Here's strange one

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:47 pm

Great pictures.

Good that you went to the ER, just to make sure.
0 x
NRA Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:28 pm

Nice pics. Glad you are ok. Postcard quality there love the owl shot
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:37 am

Fantastic photography! Sorry about the bite.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:40 am

Too bad about the snake, but great photographs.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:36 am

:D Hey hound, thanks for sacrificing your thumb to provide us with more awesome pictures.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:28 pm
Nice pics. Glad you are ok. Postcard quality there love the owl shot
When I first showed up, I didn't know if things were going to work out as it was starting to mist rain and light levels were very low. Since I was there I thought I would at least give it a try, and before I was a couple dozen steps from the car the owl fly up and perched. I stopped farther away than I would have liked to get a few insurance shots before moving closer. After a couple shots, I gently picked up the tripod to creep forward, and he took off. After that, I was determined to stick around unless it started to rain heavily. Fortunately, I had a homemade camera raincoat with me that worked quite well.

In other news, swelling is down this morning, and it's just a little stiff, but still black and blue.

_DAB9940-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
_DAB9940-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg (886.1 KiB) Viewed 523 times

_DAB0145-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise-2.jpg
_DAB0145-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise-2.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 523 times
Last edited by clovishound on Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 am

My vote would be a spider got you. I was picking tomatoes a few years ago in Virginia and when I
reached into the vine something got me. I didn't know it at the time but my arm started aching
after I went to work, so I went to see the nurse. She saw the two fang holes and shrieked, "Snake!".
So they sent me to the Emergency Room where a doctor measured the distance between the fang
holes and said it was a small one and wouldn't kill me. So I went home and for 24 hours was really sick
and aching. Not fun. I think it was a small copperhead.
I've had spider bites that reacted similar to what you experienced.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:32 am

Well, now I'm in a strange place. This won't keep me out of the woods for either hunting or photography, but I must admit it has me to thinking. My first reaction is to go buy a pair of snake boots and wear them whenever I go places likely to harbor snakes. I know, in my area a trip to the local store or my backyard would likely qualify, but I'm talking more along the lines of woods and swamps. I also think I'll be much more careful about putting my hand on the ground when there is leaf litter, or other hiding places where my hand will be.

All this is probably over reaction. I used to not think twice about hopping in the water where I was close to moccasins and gators, and have had to out swim moccasins more than once. I suppose the old adage, once bitten, twice shy is true.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:18 pm

My trails down to the creek are covered in leaves and I always keep a good look around when walking along or picking something up. You never know what might be lurking in that stuff. Haven't seen any copperheads around there yet and hope I don't even though I know they are around.
0 x