Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I have a secret music passion

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

I have a secret music passion

Post by The Wiz » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:13 pm

During my life time all kinds of popular music came and went some stayed some didn't. It is a generational thing. But there was one type of music that stayed with me and I always played in secret so my kids,friends, wife would not laugh at me. And that is surf music. I am not talking about The Beach Boys, Jan and Dean,etc. I am talking about the hard guitar driven instrumentals and the mournful twanging of single guitar. Back in the early sixties surf bands where popping all up down the west coast with the crazy names like the Insect
Surfers. And who could forget The Space Cossacks. One of the most known of that sound was Dick Dale. And that brings us back to my confession. I was listening to some surf cuts on UTube and I ran across a track by Dick. It was "Ghost Riders" Now I have heard all kinds of tracks of that song but for some reason I never heard his take or I have forgotten hearing it. (You know it was the sixty's, man). I can guarantee you have never heard "Ghost" played like Dick performed it. He was at the top of his game, showing why he was thought of one of the greatest guitar players born. This is not a surf cut. This just a guy shredding his instrument,making it talk and taking no prisoners. If it sounds like Henricks at the end, it is because Hendricks said he influence him alot. I would provide a link but I am not talented enough to know how to do that. I found on Utube. If you do play it, play it loud. There are things he does with reverb and echo that you won't hear at a normal level. Enjoy and remember play it LOUD.
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: I have a secret music passion

Post by markiver54 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:47 pm

Definitely a unique style! Only listened to one cut, but will research more.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm

A lot of fine players over the years. Roy Buchanan is one of my favorites from the past.
Jake
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:53 pm

Not sure why anyone would make fun of a persons choice of music. I like it all even some elevator music
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:45 am

I like an eclectic mix of music, and love the older beach music. I caught on to some of it from books I read, playing the songs mentioned in the books. I caught this video while looking for the songs... Check out grandpa shuffling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPzrNq3UUQ

I understand this style of dance has now become very popular to the techno music. I didn't realize when I first saw the video years ago, Gramps is a World Champion. His name is Paul Shelnutt, born in 1946.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 am

Just the other day I was listening to some instrumentals by The Ventures. For me, I’m not much of a fan of lyrics and prefer more the music itself. Probably why I’m such a Pink Floyd fan. :D
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:50 am

I like almost all types of music. I was raised on Classic country music from the 60's and 70's. That has to be my overall favorite. Since my youth I've been able to choose what I like to listen to. I enjoy having music on most all day, much to my Mary's dismay. She likes the quiet most of the time. (Opposites do attract!)
My favorite artist of all time is George Winston. I have mentioned this before. His piano solos take me to a place of peace and tranquility. I try to make Sunday's a special day to listen to his music.
I also very much like electronic dance music. Some of the songs get me going and I want to dance just like my college days. I had a dance partner whom I would drive to the next city just to go to some of the best clubs and dance. We were simply friends who enjoyed dancing that much.
Today, I'm listening to Dick Dale's ghost riders in the sky. I can see why people like his style. Now, I just had Siri play jazz as I finish writing this post. I agree Al, even some elevator music puts me in a good mood. The good folks at Muzak knew something, huh?

February Sea is appropriate here I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95si5xU ... bk&index=2
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:53 am

Confession time. You all know me as a shooter, but ...

Over the years I made pretty good money and had a lot of fun playing harmonica, part time, on a professional level, meaning getting paid to play. In my time, I played in every genre of band in popular music and even a little classical music. Some on call studio work, too, whatever was needed. Gave lessons at times, too.

Most of my gigs were the usual blues, rock and country bands, but my favorites were a couple of jazz bands for the challenge and freedom to improvise. Also played in folk bands, a number of bluegrass bands, a Cajun band and once did a wedding gig playing polka (that was a hoot). My specialty was jam bands with other experienced musicians where rehearsal was a dirty word. If you couldn't just jump in and play with whatever popped into someone's head, you were gone.

Highlight of my career was once playing on stage in Chicago for a few numbers with Buddy Guy and also another Chicago bluesman, Linsey Alexander. They got a kick out of an older white gal playing the blures harp. :)

And I still play almost daily by hitting the internet music sites and playing along with anything I like. I have a monstrous digital music library, too, and can play harp with every song in it. Still get together with a few local friends, now and then and play just for fun. My heavy gigging days for money are long behind me, now. Not up to the grind and closing down bars, anymore. Yeah, saw my share of bar fights in my day, some wild ones.
8 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:54 am

daytime dave wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:50 am
My favorite artist of all time is George Winston. I have mentioned this before. His piano solos take me to a place of peace and tranquility. I try to make Sunday's a special day to listen to his music.
All the seasons are excellent!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:06 am

I have a LOT of George Winston in my library and love playing along. Yeah, super sweet. Some favs are:
New Orleans Slow Dance
Goodnight Irene
Walking in the Air
Variation on the Kannon
Joy
0 x