Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun Prices

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Gun Prices

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:37 pm

No argument from me, Mags. My reference on the subject was on long term reliability and durability. In my opinion, the reliability argument between semi-auto and revolver is pointless for self-defense purposes as long as you keep both clean and in proper working order and know how to handle both. That's what counts if you are using a handgun for defense. Both types of guns are more than reliable enough and that's also born out by statistics, of course.

In fact, back in the day when I carried in the woods in bear country, I carried a revolver, even a single action revolver. Even now when I do carry in the woods, I still pack a revolver, though I've also carried a compact autoloader, too, in the past. I just prefer a revolver for various reasons.
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:35 pm

In my case I dont happen to use one for a home invasion. No semi auto and no revolver. Good old fashion shotgun with buckshot.
4 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:54 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:35 pm
In my case I dont happen to use one for a home invasion. No semi auto and no revolver. Good old fashion shotgun with buckshot.
Pump or Semi-auto?
12 or 20 ga.?

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:02 pm

Mags wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:15 pm
I feel a little different. In a sudden home invasion situation, I will go for our revolver first. In my experience it's more dependable. For what ever reason, limp wrist, bad ammo, whatever, I've had too many instances where our semi-autos jammed on feeding the next round. Rare, but it happens and it would be just my luck it would happen during a home invasion. I've never had our revolvers fail to rotate and fire the next round. Also, I don't have to think about the position of the safety. All our semi-autos have a thumb safety on the left side. Unfortunately some are thumb up and others thumb down. While 1/2 asleep in the dark I don't need to be trying to figure out which semi-auto I have out and what position the safety is in. Split milliseconds lost and that might make the difference.
Mags, that is my thought as well. I suspect few to none of us on this forum use a firearm in a duty capacity (military or law enforcement). Most of use probably have one for self-defense or target practice. Being the case, a firearm may set for months to years without being used. The status of it (round in the chamber or safety on) could be a very vague memory. When moments count, uncertainty could cause loss of life. So to me, simple is better as well. Don't have to think with a revolver, just point and pull the trigger.

Don't get me wrong, a person can train themselves to where a semi-auto could become second nature. Yet, how many of us train that way? I am doing good to get in a shooting session every month or two, which is more than some people that I know of who carried a firearm in a duty capacity. Like most things, practice is the key. If conceal carry, I probably would carry a semi-auto, because of size. Yet, I would probably check the status of it, before I leave my house (chamber hot, safety on). And, I would train to draw it in that status, so it would become second nature for me to take the safety off while drawing. Again, moments can count. But, that is just me.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:06 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:54 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Pump or Semi-auto?
12 or 20 ga.?

RP
A lever action 410 for me. A Henry Ax.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:20 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:54 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Pump or Semi-auto?
12 or 20 ga.?

RP
Single Shot H&R Topper with an 18 inch open bore barrel 12ga. Butt cuff with five more rounds right behind it.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:12 pm

GFK wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:02 pm
Mags wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:15 pm
I feel a little different. In a sudden home invasion situation, I will go for our revolver first. In my experience it's more dependable. For what ever reason, limp wrist, bad ammo, whatever, I've had too many instances where our semi-autos jammed on feeding the next round. Rare, but it happens and it would be just my luck it would happen during a home invasion. I've never had our revolvers fail to rotate and fire the next round. Also, I don't have to think about the position of the safety. All our semi-autos have a thumb safety on the left side. Unfortunately some are thumb up and others thumb down. While 1/2 asleep in the dark I don't need to be trying to figure out which semi-auto I have out and what position the safety is in. Split milliseconds lost and that might make the difference.
Mags, that is my thought as well. I suspect few to none of us on this forum use a firearm in a duty capacity (military or law enforcement). Most of use probably have one for self-defense or target practice. Being the case, a firearm may set for months to years without being used. The status of it (round in the chamber or safety on) could be a very vague memory. When moments count, uncertainty could cause loss of life. So to me, simple is better as well. Don't have to think with a revolver, just point and pull the trigger.

Don't get me wrong, a person can train themselves to where a semi-auto could become second nature. Yet, how many of us train that way? I am doing good to get in a shooting session every month or two, which is more than some people that I know of who carried a firearm in a duty capacity. Like most things, practice is the key. If conceal carry, I probably would carry a semi-auto, because of size. Yet, I would probably check the status of it, before I leave my house (chamber hot, safety on). And, I would train to draw it in that status, so it would become second nature for me to take the off while drawing. Again, moments can count. But, that is just me.
I carried a handgun in both the Military and Law Enforcement and carried both Revolvers and Semi-autos during both Careers. In the Corps, as Aircrew we could choose the Snubby 38 or the 1911. I was competing with the 45 and carried that. As I shot often, I never worried about the safety as it's operation was second nature to me.

When I began as a Patrol Officer in the Mid 90s, my department was carrying the Model 64 Revolver. I was shooting PPC and could speedload the 38 revolver faster that most officers in other departments could change mags in Semi-Autos and shoot my Revolver much better. (Most Officers don't shoot that well as they don't get out and practice.) When we made the switch to Semi-autos, we went thru a test and evaluation period and as a firearms instructor, I set that up. We were down to two guns... The Sig P220 and the Glock 22 40 caliber. Both Excellent guns, Glock made us a better deal and the 40 caliber ammo was cheaper. The Glock had no external safety to worry about, just three passive safeties. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, just like the revolver and you are Golden. In the Ten Years I was involved in training, we never had an accidental discharge during training or either on or off duty.

Semi-Autos can be fine as a defensive weapon as long as you choose wisely, in my opinion.
I can swap back and forth between various guns with no issue, but I trained heavily for more than three decades. When I had students that admitted that were unlikely to train on a regular basis, I recommended a mid frame, 4" revolver for home defense.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:23 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:20 pm
Single Shot H&R Topper with an 18 inch open bore barrel 12ga. Butt cuff with five more rounds right behind it.
Or as referred in some quarters, "A Cantina Cleaner". :o :lol:
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:29 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:23 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:20 pm
Or as referred in some quarters, "A Cantina Cleaner". :o :lol:
A buddie of mine long ago called them alley sweepers
2 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:29 am

I seem to keep the 20 ga. Shockwave by the bed most times now but the other one always ready to go is the Henry 45 X model with the suppressor and 250 XTP load. Need to get another Streamlight so both have light. I have the one on the Henry and it works great lighting up the area plus a bit on the front sight that just peaks up over the suppressor. Have the ol Remington 870 18 inch 12 gauge pump raedy also but haven't shot that in ages.
Need to get the shotguns out at the range again!
0 x