Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun Prices

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Gun Prices

Post by FormerParatrooper » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:29 pm

Since about 2016 the demands for firearms have been high. Then we had covid and that just in time supply line took a hit. Logistics took a hit because some over educated people thought a "just in time" supply system saved money. Oops, lack of foresight and realistic expectations of the world order.

People got scared, wanted guns and ammo. We have all seen the sales, and I am surprised very many new firearms make it to market. In a few years, if things return to halfway normal, we may see a lot of used, new guns coming to market. Kinda like the Desert Storm joke about AK 47s for sale, dropped once in the sand. If only 10% of those guns return to market, imagine the oversupply and the sales to just move them.
2 x
I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace - Thomas Paine

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:31 pm

BigAl, I wondering if it has to do more with the caliber? My wife and I were looking at 38 Special +Ps yesterday. A LGS was asking $100 more for new Smith and Wesson 642 than a used Ruger LCR. Both were at least $200 less than what I paid for my Smith and Wesson M360 . 357 a couple of years ago. I agree that pistols are cheaper. I paid about $100 less for a new Ruger EC9s 9mm last year than what my wife will for an used LCR ($450). Yet, revolvers are simpler, point and pull the trigger. That is what she found that works for her. She handled a few semi-autos in .380 and 9mm, and found that she rather use a revolver. Yet, few revolvers are on the shelf.

I handled a Colt Python a few weeks ago. The trigger was smooth. But, the $1,200 price tag was hard for me to get pass. Still, I have been considering picking up a Colt one day. It was a nice firearm. I am just wondering if I can justify another firearm. I am doing good to shoot what I have now. Maybe, I will have more time for shooting, when I stop working, if I don't keel over first?

P.S.
I think that my wife has been bitten by the firearm bug. I am wondering which firearm she may decide to buy next. Hopefully, she will start warming up to rifles one day.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:59 pm

Caliber may have more to do with it than one thinks. 22 is cheap to shoot and no reloading. In centerfire 9mm is now reasonable again. Im sure the price of ammo plays a big part on what is sold. Not many 9mm revolvers around. I do like shootin 9mm out of my Ruger Blackhawk even if its not as accurate as 38. Still accurate enough to ring some steel.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:32 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:59 pm
Caliber may have more to do with it than one thinks. 22 is cheap to shoot and no reloading. In centerfire 9mm is now reasonable again. Im sure the price of ammo plays a big part on what is sold. Not many 9mm revolvers around. I do like shootin 9mm out of my Ruger Blackhawk even if its not as accurate as 38. Still accurate enough to ring some steel.
There's this 9mm revolver. I'm sure it's very accurate, better be for it's $1499 price.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/n-frame-170341
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:54 am

FormerParatrooper wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:29 pm
Since about 2016 the demands for firearms have been high. Then we had covid and that just in time supply line took a hit. Logistics took a hit because some over educated people thought a "just in time" supply system saved money. Oops, lack of foresight and realistic expectations of the world order.

People got scared, wanted guns and ammo. We have all seen the sales, and I am surprised very many new firearms make it to market. In a few years, if things return to halfway normal, we may see a lot of used, new guns coming to market. Kinda like the Desert Storm joke about AK 47s for sale, dropped once in the sand. If only 10% of those guns return to market, imagine the oversupply and the sales to just move them.
I think the scarcity began during the Clinton years. Especially parts and magazines. Then during the first two years of each of Obama’s terms guns and ammo was difficult to find. That is when I began hoarding. During the Trump term sales slumped for both guns and ammo. Now with Biden in things are hard to find yet just like Obama the worst was in the first two years.

My recommendation is buy whatever and whenever you can because things will get tight again if/when there is a second Biden term.

I’m basing what I say from personal buying experience and also from ATF stats. Does anyone remember the Obama gun salesman of the year joke?
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:11 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:54 am
Does anyone remember the Obama gun salesman of the year joke?
JOKE! What part if it was a joke? :o :lol:
2 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:25 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

Love 'em.
Picked this one up last week from a friend.
Everything in the pic. $500, 6 loaded mags, the box of ammo. Soft case, and the water proof camera box.
High Standard and is made in the same facility as the Rock Island.
20230113_130511.jpg
20230113_130511.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 182 times
RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:38 am

dave77 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:32 am
BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:59 pm
There's this 9mm revolver. I'm sure it's very accurate, better be for it's $1499 price.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/n-frame-170341
I have shot one of those Dave and they do shoot very good. They are pricey
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:23 am

I bought 2 revolvers last year the Anaconda and a S&W 686 3 inch seven shooter. While the Anaconda was back at Colt for a new barrel I happened to walk in to my LGS and saw that nice 3 inch 686 Plus. After checking prices online at other dealers I found my shop was $ 100 bucks cheaper than anyone including Buds. So I went back and grabbed it for $ 849.00 Now his price is back up with the other shops.
The Colt Anaconda I found for $1499 which was a bit cheaper than other dealers and found that on Guns International. That snake 44 Mag shooter is nice and smooth to shoot and handle and I'm almost 69 so what am I waiting for!

So yes revolvers are going up in price right now and glad I had bought the others over a spread of several years some new and used.
Only have 3 semi-auto pistols and those are all .45 ACP plus a S&W .22 Victory. I like the revolvers!

BTW the 686+ is a sweet one with great trigger and nice QC everything was built right the first time on this one for a change!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:31 am

Local shop has a Smith 610 for a 1069. Might need to grab it up as there isnt anything wrong with 10mm. Especially since its a 41 :D
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55