Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun Prices

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Gun Prices

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:48 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:27 am
I have bought several in the last couple years. Four I bought from a friend at friend prices so those don't count. :) But, I bought a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 556 and the Uberti Birdshead Single Action 357 from a large shop in OKC. They buy in bulk so they can sell at fair prices. They even sold ammo at comparatively reasonable prices. Just this year we also picked up a Kimber Micro 9 for Miss Tina and one of the new Ruger Wranglers from a smaller local shop here in S. Central OK. Their prices are more than fair. Their policy is to sell reasonable in hopes of making customers for life rather than try and make a one time sale.

On the flip side, when I was Looking for the Bolt gun, I shopped in the various gun shops up and down the highways in the area, between here and OKC and here and the Texas border while making my various trips to the VA Hospital and trips to my daughter's at the border. I saw prices for used guns higher than the guns cost new, and new guns at 150% markup with the shop owners saying, "Stock is too hard to come by these days." or "You just can't get these nowdays." I just let them keep them. I'm sure they sold them rather quickly. New ones and the used ones.

A lot of those shops were also marking up OLD stock, magazines, slings, gun cases, cleaning kits, everything they had... and making the same excuses.
:evil:
Have you shot the Wrangler much Marine? Ruger has now come out with 6 and 7.5 inch barrels. Ive thought about one in the 6 inch model but I did a little youtubing on the 4 inch model and the accuracy of those wasnt all that great
I haven't shot it much due to health and farm commitments, but mine shot fine. They aren't target guns but it was a good plinking gun. I bought it to let Tina haul it around to shoot varmints if she wanted. It's plenty accurate for that. What reading I have done suggests that accuracy was hit and miss, but the misses were still plinking accurate. The hits were very accurate.

My rule of thumb was if I was looking for an accurate 22 I grabbed a bull barreled Ruger Semi-Auto Mk II.
I had a tack driver and during a shuffle I was talked out of it by one of my young protege's shooting bullseye who couldn't afford a high end gun.
He shot it well enough to win at the local level.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:23 pm

I have a bull barreled Mark II with a red dot sight. It is definitely a tack driver.
Out at the range one day a guy asked me if I had a grudge against the bulls eye.
4 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:09 pm

In the case of Ruger, they all but stopped production on their revolvers a couple years, ago, because they were so behind in the production of their other guns and those other types of guns were a priority. The only exception being the Wrangler, because they had already plenty of Wranger inventory on hand. Ruger has been recently making some assurances that they will be getting back to making revolvers, but good luck trying to order one. The dealers I talked to said there's still nothing in the pipeline.

In the meantime, prices on used Ruger revolvers have been getting crazy. Last several months, I have passed up some used Ruger single actions I wanted because the sellers had them priced for more than what Ruger currently lists for new. NO thanks.

Ruger's situation is all a continuing trend in guns sales and production. Gun companies that are making the bulk of their sales on other types of guns are pushing their revolver production down the priority list. It's something of a double-edged sword for revolver production because demand for revolvers has been dropping steadily the last five years, plus it's more costly to produce revolvers than just about any other type of gun. Oh, you hear a lot of talk about revolvers being more reliable, simpler, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is it is easier and much more cost effective to produce semi-autos. The internals on semi-autos are much simpler and need much less fitting.

Hey, I'm as big a fan of revolvers as just about anyone, but after a lifetime of shooting revolvers of all kinds and semi-auto handguns from 1911s up to the latest Tupperware wonder, which one do you think has given me the best track record for reliability and lack of problems? (Hint: not revolvers.) I can also assure you that even out here in the boonies, semi-autos outsell revolvers by a huge margin.

My advice is that if you want a revolver, get out there and start hunting and grab what you can. Don't wait for Ruger or Smith or Colt to get around to producing more of their revolvers. Could be a long wait.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:50 pm

At current market prices, I'm no longer even looking at any new/use gun of any sort. No real need as I'd like to think I have what I want.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:29 pm

Really, the only thing I'm looking for are my bucket list guns. I have some extra semi Autos I bought to teach with I'd trade two for one to the right person for a bucket list gun, but I won't sell them outright and won't let them go to someone I don't know... so my collection will likely remain intact. ;) My bucket list is getting shorter and shorter. :P
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:19 pm

Well Ruger has my attention with 6.5 and 7.5 Wranglers. I think I need one. As far as autos go vs Revolvers being more regulated that well may be true but in my mind I find it real tough to separate the 2 when it comes to taking them away. They will have big issues taking either one of them away from any of us.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:39 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:09 pm

Hey, I'm as big a fan of revolvers as just about anyone, but after a lifetime of shooting revolvers of all kinds and semi-auto handguns from 1911s up to the latest Tupperware wonder, which one do you think has given me the best track record for reliability and lack of problems? (Hint: not revolvers.)
NCG, I have the utmost respect for you and your advice, however, I find this to be a shocking statement. Please help me understand. With all the working parts of a Semi-Auto compared to a revolver, how can this be. Please school me on what I am overlooking or not understanding. I have always thought a revolver was an almost fail safe gun. :?:

Please forgive me for my inquiry, I just truly want to know.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:53 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:39 pm
North Country Gal wrote:

Hey, I'm as big a fan of revolvers as just about anyone, but after a lifetime of shooting revolvers of all kinds and semi-auto handguns from 1911s up to the latest Tupperware wonder, which one do you think has given me the best track record for reliability and lack of problems? (Hint: not revolvers.)
NCG, I have the utmost respect for you and your advice, however, I find this to be a shocking statement. Please help me understand. With all the working parts of a Semi-Auto compared to a revolver, how can this be. Please school me on what I am overlooking or not understanding. I have always thought a revolver was an almost fail safe gun. :?:

0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:56 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:53 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:39 pm
North Country Gal wrote:

:?: :?: please elaborate..
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:24 pm

I think 1911's from my experience with them are the most dependable autos. The system is simple and the single action provides a great trigger
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55