Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rocket Launch

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Rocket Launch

Post by Headhog » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:09 pm

Got to see a rocket launch tonight from Wallops Island, VA. Rocket Lab launched a smaller rocket this evening at 6:01 pm ET. We are about 100-120 miles from Wallops Island in central, VA but were able to see the rocket in the eastern sky about 2 minutes after launch. Interesting to see it live. It looked like a very bright star just above the horizon, slowing rising. It was moving away and to the south as it headed out over the Atlantic. We were able to see it for about 8 minutes, before it disappeared on its' journey.

Paul
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Rocket Launch

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:24 pm

Local news had a good video of it from their transmitter tower and it looked good.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:30 pm

Wallops is on the causeway to Chincoteague Island. When I worked in Virginia I visited the facility as well
as the radar site at Cape Charles on occasion. I also took my family camping on Chincoteague Island many times.
I loved that area.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:09 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:30 pm
Wallops is on the causeway to Chincoteague Island. When I worked in Virginia I visited the facility as well
as the radar site at Cape Charles on occasion. I also took my family camping on Chincoteague Island many times.
I loved that area.
I was still living in NJ when we first traveled to Chincoteague for the pony swim. The kids (at the time) loved it. My wife and I also enjoyed the availability of Maryland steamed crabs. We'd get bags of them and eat them at the camper.

Paul
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:38 pm

Headhog wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:09 pm
I was still living in NJ when we first traveled to Chincoteague for the pony swim. The kids (at the time) loved it. My wife and I also enjoyed the availability of Maryland steamed crabs. We'd get bags of them and eat them at the camper.
Paul
Crab, oysters, shrimp, I loved living out there, but you couldn't get a good beef steak.
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66