Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

…the (Henry) rifle that shared his name

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

…the (Henry) rifle that shared his name

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:57 pm

There is not that much Western music being written now days. I have always preferred Western over Country and Colter Wall singing Bald Butte is a good example of what is no longer popular.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FyXOxikGO8

https://www.google.com/search?q=bald+bu ... kCegQIFBAD
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: …the (Henry) rifle that shared his name

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:11 am

Enjoyed it. Thank you.

I'm also a western music fan - Brenn Hill, Chris LeDoux, Don Edwards, Royal Wade Kimes, Dave Stamey, Michael Martin Murphy and so on. I enjoy the music, of course, but part of it is a way for me to recall my days living out west, where I spent most of my life. Yeah, I miss those wide open spaces. Western doesn't get as much attention and promotion as some genres, but it is still has a loyal and dedicated following.

I'm about as eclectic as it comes to music, though. I collect and play and listen to just about everything. If I like it, I like it and could care less about labels.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 am

That was cool, Sir Henry!!! 8-) Thanks for that! We may have a new anthem here...... I really like a good story sung well. John Prine kinda comes to mind.....

I hope it's okay to spin a bit of a story about Western music, Western Swing in particular........

I began taking guitar lessons from a man in 1967 at a place in Tulsa, OK called "The Guitar House". Still in the same place last I visited a few years ago. This man taught me basic open chords, and how to play the "popular songs" us 11 yr. old kids listened to-The Beatles, The Monkees, & etc.. At that time, and as I progressed a bit more on the guitar, I personally got into Hendrix and others similar, but especially the Blues. Johnny Winter, BB King, (all the 3 Kings, really) as I got to be 13-14 yrs. old. My primary interest was in the Blues, but I liked and recognized good guitar work, no matter what style.

Now, I was essentially "forced" (not too hard though) into liking Country & Western Music, being from Oklahoma, having parents that liked the genre (my Mom however, had a thing about Buddy Holly; some of his original vinyl albums are still in the family), and living about 2 miles from some AM radio broadcast towers in east Tulsa, KVOO. When you drove a car by there, you listened to a very static filled country song of some sort, regardless of what station you had been listening to. You just rolled with it for a mile or two. :) And a lot of it happened to have some "good guitar work". 8-)

As I got older and played with other folks in small-time bands, and played worship music at church, my tastes in music went all over the charts, one interest of which was Western Swing. I noticed that kinda music kept people on the dance floors, and kept many musicians employed playing that style of music. So, I learned a bit of it...... Done right, it can be very technical, and still sound Great!

By the time I reached my late 30s I had quit playing in bands except for worship music at church. And my parents sent me a newsapaper clipping from Tulsa about the passing of my old guitar teacher, Eldon Shamblin. The article was incredibly illuminating about the man, to me at least. He had been the rhythm guitar player for Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys for many years, and no one in my family ever knew that! He was very down to earth, never pounded his own drum, and was extremely patient with a snot-nosed 11 yr. old boy wanting to learn music he personally may or may not have even liked. Very humble, and extremely talented.

I wish now I'd been a bit older (and more mature, but I am still waiting for maturity to hit) when taking lessons from him. The things I could've learned from him would have been incredible to know, from a guitar picker's standpoint.

NCG, and others maybe, I don't know if y'all are interested, but there is a free app you can get for phones (dunno about computers; mine is on my phone) called "Radio Garden". It's available for Androids and iPhones. I found one of the coolest radio stations while I was up hunting this year, from Madras Oregon. It's call letters are KJIV, and I *think* it's 96.5 on the dial, as they say. This station plays a HUGE variety of music styles, genres, and ages. You can listen to it from the Radio Garden app, as well as other stations you like. It does this weird "rotating globe" kind deal, with all these green colored dots all over the earth. These dots represent a radio station, and it will zero in on whatever station you choose. I'm sure that there are other ways to listen to these stations than this, like iHeart radio or such. I'm not too much into tech, so just recently discovered this (thanks to my wife! ;) ) a coupla months ago. It's how I listen to my radio when I reload.

And it plays really good country and western music, as well a songs from the '30s and up. Big Band music, rock music, whatever. Just not a steady diet of any one style for very long.

Added in EDIT: You can play this app on a laptop. I forgot that's how my wife listens to it..... :roll:
3 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:01 pm

Jimmie, thanks for sharing your wonderful story. I really enjoyed reading it.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:26 pm

Thankks, North Country Gal!!!

I enjoy (and constantly learn from) most everything YOU have written here, as well as others. You've been a ton of help to me and others, maybe without even knowing it sometimes!
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:28 pm

I have a very large collection of western and cowboy music. From 1920’s Jules Allen to 30’s western swing and the various eras of singing cowboys.

One of the Sons of the Pioneers produced and played fiddle on 2 albums I recorded. Roy Warhurst. He just passed away last year.

I don’t play shows anymore but still do some pickin’ and grinnin’.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm

That was a good one!
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:09 pm

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 am
I hope it's okay to spin a bit of a story about Western music, Western Swing in particular........

A story worthy of a film script, Jimmie. Thanks for sharing it with us.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:58 pm

Thank you Gene and Jimmie for those posts. As some may know, I'm a "in the shadows" guitar player and really appreciate music that sounds good to me. That song and lyrics do just that. Nowadays, you have to search to find some real country tunes. Thanks.
2 x