Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dumbest thing you did when 20 years old?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Dumbest thing you did when 20 years old?

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:03 pm

Thinking nostalgic again.... As I think back today to 1974 I had a nice 1972 Opel GT like one pictured and bought it in 1973. Come Spring of 1974 I was looking at buying a 1974 Pontiac Super Duty 455 T/A but could not find dealers that had any...tough to get. So I settled on ordering a 1974 Camaro Z/28 from local dealer. On a trip to the dealer to check on build issue since there was a hold up on production I was told a little longer wait.

Now the Pontiac dealership was just down a block or so and I had to pass it on the way home and something caught my eye on their used car lot.
Turn around to check it out and it was a nice looking orange 1970 Challenger R/T and when I looked at the hood there it was...426 Hemi emblem on sides of the flat scooped hood...."Holy Crap" !! Then a salesman come walking up as I am checking it out... 426 Hemi and it had the good Torqflite auto with the Super Track Pac which included the beef 4.10 Dana 60 rear and other goodies. Salesman said they wanted to get $1500 bucks for it!!!!! which was average back then for a 4 year old muscle car with the gas prices starting to go up. It only had 33,000 miles on it too but was running a bit rough. I should have gone back to the Chevy dealer and canceled the Z/28 deal right then and bought the Challenger but I was thinking new car like a dummy!
I could have kept my Opel GT and paid cash for the Hemi Challenger!!! Would have to had parked it in the side yard of my Dad's driveway since my brother's 1970 Hemicuda was parked in Dad's one car garage while brother and his wife were living in an apartment at that time.

End of story.... I told a friend of mine about the Challenger and he bought it. He brought it by our house where my brother and I tuned it up and found somebody had mixed up the firing order of the plug wires when doing a tune up! He kept it for a year and sold it for more than he paid and it changed hands like that making more money for several more years!
Well the Z came in and I did enjoy it and later sold it for more than I paid 1 1/2 year later to a high school kid...really his Mom with a fat checkbook!

Should have bought that Hemi!!!
Attachments
1970 Hemi Challenger.jpg
1970 Hemi Challenger.jpg (172.29 KiB) Viewed 317 times
fun times back in 1974.jpg
fun times back in 1974.jpg (631.38 KiB) Viewed 317 times
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Dumbest thing you did when 20 years old?

Post by Ernie » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:58 pm

I wouldn't even know where to start.
2 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:55 am

I love Ernie's answer!!!!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:49 am

My dumb things started when I turned 21.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:59 am

I turned 19 at Parris Island. Limited my options to do dumb stuff. I probably would have done a LOT of dumb stuff as a young Marine, but I didn't drink. So, I avoided those pitfalls.

Only thing I can remember, is discovering that it was legal back then to drive your vehicle on Onslow beach in the off season. Fresh out of A School, my roommates and I drove my 64-1/2 Mustang onto the beach, and buried it to the frame in the soft sand. :?

Luckily a surf fisherman came along in a huge 4x4 and easily freed us, we were able to stay on the packed sand just above the surf line back to where we crossed the dunes. Years later, in my 4wd Subaru wagon (before awd) I would pull a number of 4wd trucks free, driven by those not used to soft sand. :lol:

Sitting on the hard pack with a jerk strap, giving them just that little extra they needed, after a short brief on "light on the gas, don't floor it when the tires spin." and out they'd come. :D

Pay'in it forward.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:14 am

Got my ass discharged from the Navy. Just being a stupid young man. No harm, but it sure changed my life.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:51 am

Went for a solo stroll in downtown DaNang in early 1966. Uneventful, but wasn't the smartest thing to do even when carrying a M3.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:52 am

Spent most of my twentieth year flying gunships on an all expenses paid vacation to SE Asia. Need I say more about dumb things that I did?
1 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:04 am

Well, it usually involved with alcohol and females so I won't go into specifics. I was driving my Father's
tractor trailers when in my 24th year I got a letter that said, "Greetings". That removed me from the
ire of angry females, their Fathers, and brothers. :roll:
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:46 pm

Too much. SO not going there.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234