Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cold Weather Clothing

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Cold Weather Clothing

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:52 am

daytime dave wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:37 am
I was layered in wool this morning in the tree stand. Tee shirt, thin merino wool sweater, wool shirt topped with a wool hunting coat with a hood. Wool socks, jeans with wool bibs over the jeans and insulated Muck boots. I was warm enough most of the morning. I prefer wool to most other materials for the outdoors.

For a UTV, we are looking at an Artic Cat.
Any luck in the stand?
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:02 am

Nope. Lot's of shooting all around.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:15 am

graywolf wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:41 am
Looks like I’m further south than most of us on here. I agree with you about the cold being harder to take than in younger years. Glad I don’t have to work outside in it anymore. Living here though as I got older, I can bundle up in the winter, but I can’t handle the summers like I used to.
Let's just admit it, we don't handle the weather like we used to anymore. Last winter, single digits. Stayed inside the house or the shop. :) This summer, thirty days over 110, stayed in the house or the shop. :roll: I'm with you. I used to work on the airplanes above the arctic circle in the dead of winter, and on the concrete flight line in North Carolina in high summer when you couldn't see the hangers thru the heat waves. Oh to be young again... But know what we have learned over the years. 8-)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:58 am

I like good old wool for my outside layer. I did buy a pair of insulated synthetic pants for hunting that are very warm but can get noisy when walking thur brush. I don’t hunt anymore but when I went to the range the other day I wore a poly-propylene base layer and wool pants. A tee shirt, sweat shirt and a hoody on top with a heavy duck coat brought along but not worn. (Too bulky for shooting) Nice stocking cap and thin gloves. As far as working outside around the place I wear my insulated bib overalls and a heavy coat, hat and heavy gloves.

After years of sitting outside on an atv or tractor plowing snow a few years ago I upgraded to a Polaris Ranger with a heater. Went inexpensive with the cab with poly front and rear window, poly top and canvas doors. Works great, I can plow in a hoody.

This mornings weather report on the local news. I live outside of Deer Park and we are a micro climate here with colder temps and more snow than the surrounding area.

43D1A441-2F2D-49FC-BF1B-72F3FA554F98.jpeg
43D1A441-2F2D-49FC-BF1B-72F3FA554F98.jpeg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 225 times
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:00 am

I still get put almost every day in the winter, even I some sub-zero weather, BUT the only way I can handle that kind of cold is to be doing an active sport like fat biking or XC skiing, or snowshoeing or, ugh, shoveling snow. I don't last very long on sit around sports like my shooting, though, so I do most of my winter shooting indoors and wait for more pleasant days to shoot outdoors. Snow and windy with a wind chill of 3 above, so I won't go shooting outdoors today. Opening day of rifle deer season up here. Hope all those deer hunters dressed warm.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:02 am

ahh, you know us So-Cal folk; over 75-A/C, under 68-heater! We're hopeless. :shock:
Well, maybe not THAT bad!
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:22 am

Rifletom wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:02 am
ahh, you know us So-Cal folk; over 75-A/C, under 68-heater! We're hopeless. :shock:
Well, maybe not THAT bad!
I'll take it. When I lived in So-Cal, I had no problem with the concept of decorating a Palm tree for Christmas. :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:06 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:00 am
I still get put almost every day in the winter, even I some sub-zero weather, BUT the only way I can handle that kind of cold is to be doing an active sport like fat biking or XC skiing, or snowshoeing or, ugh, shoveling snow. I don't last very long on sit around sports like my shooting, though, so I do most of my winter shooting indoors and wait for more pleasant days to shoot outdoors. Snow and windy with a wind chill of 3 above, so I won't go shooting outdoors today. Opening day of rifle deer season up here. Hope all those deer hunters dressed warm.
I just put on insulated bibs and coat. I’m all bundled up and weighs a billion pounds. Canvas is heavy. Now going outside to plow my driveway.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:34 pm

Have fun. :)
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:22 pm

I have visions of the Michelan man attacking the Wisconsin snow in his driveway.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member