Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Traces of Tx (today)

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Traces of Tx (today)

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:01 am

Houston Sports Legends:
Nolan Ryan
Earl Campbell
Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon
Attachments
Houston Sports Legends.jpg
Houston Sports Legends.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 6042 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:52 pm

On this day in 1925, Governor Pat M. Neff appointed an all-woman state Supreme Court, the first in Texas and probably in the nation. The case before the court involved the Woodmen of the World. All three justices belonged to this organization and were consequently disqualified. Since most of the other judges in Texas were also Woodmen, Neff decided to choose female lawyers, who were ineligible for lodge membership. Nellie Robertson was named special chief justice, and Edith Wilmans and Hortense Ward served as special associate justices. Due to experience requirements, Ward became special chief justice and Ruth V. Brazzil and Hattie L. Henenberg filled the associate justice positions. The special court first met on January 8, 1925. Women did not serve on juries in the state until 1954.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 am

Shakey Jake wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:01 am
Houston Sports Legends:
Nolan Ryan
Earl Campbell
Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon
“Skoal brother”

Remember that Earl Campbell commercial?
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:56 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 am
Shakey Jake wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:01 am
Houston Sports Legends:
Nolan Ryan
Earl Campbell
Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon
“Skoal brother”

Remember that Earl Campbell commercial?
Nah, not really but I did have season tickets to the OIlers during the "Luv ya' Blue" era. I got to see him play a lot. On a side note, Hakeem goes to the same barbershop that I've been going to for the past 30 years. I've conversed with him several times when we both were there at the same time. He's a very approachable person.
Jake
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:58 am

Per Traces of Texas:
This aerial photo of Fair Park Stadium in Dallas was taken as the University of Texas played Vanderbilt in 1923. The wooden stadium remained in use until 1929, when it was torn down and the Cotton Bowl built in its place. The Longhorns won this game 16-0. They had a good year that year, outscoring their first 6 opponents 202- 0 and finishing the season with a 8-0-1 record.
Attachments
Fair Park Stadium.jpg
Fair Park Stadium.jpg (80.33 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:54 am

Goose Creek (Baytown), TX oil fields circa 1915. Per TSHA:
The first offshore drilling for oil in Texas occurred along Goose Creek in southeast Harris County, twenty-one miles southeast of Houston on Galveston Bay. In 1903 John I. Gaillard noticed bubbles popping to the surface of the water at the point where the creek empties into the bay. With a match he confirmed that the bubbles were natural gas, a strong indication of oil deposits. Royal Matthews leased the Gaillard property and drilled for 2½ years but could not bring in a continuously producing well.

Not until a Houston-based syndicate, Goose Creek Production Company, drilled on the marsh of the bay was oil found, on June 2, 1908, at 1,600 feet. On June 13 the Houston syndicate sold out to Producers Oil Company, a subsidiary of the Texas Company. After drilling twenty dry holes in two years they abandoned the field. The American Petroleum Company, new holders of a lease on Gaillard's land, finally drilled close to the shore. On August 23, 1916, contractor Charles Mitchell brought in a 10,000-barrel gusher at 2,017 feet. Initially the well produced 8,000 barrels daily, a quantity indicating that Goose Creek was a large oilfield. The community changed overnight as men rushed to obtain leases, drill wells, and build derricks. Tents were everywhere, teams hauled heavy equipment, and barges brought lumber and pipe from Houston. Within two months the well leveled off to 300 barrels a day, but by December 1916 drilling along the shores of Goose Creek, Tabbs Bay, and Black Duck Bay had raised production to 5,000 barrels daily. The flow of the average well drilled in 1917 was 1,181 barrels a day. The largest well of the field was Sweet 16 of the Simms-Sinclair Company, which came in on August 4, 1917, gushing 35,000 barrels a day from a depth of 3,050 feet. This well stayed out of control for three days before the crew could close it. World War I oil prices of $1.35 a barrel encouraged Humble Oil and Refining Company and Gulf Production Company to try offshore drilling. The Goose Creek field reached its peak annual production of 8,923,635 barrels with onshore and offshore drilling by 1918.
Attachments
Goose Creek.jpg
Goose Creek.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:25 pm

In 1908, pro boxing pioneer Jack Johnson defeated Tommy Burns, becoming the first Black heavyweight boxing champion.
Johnson grew up in Galveston, Texas, where “white boys were my friends and pals. … No one ever taught me that white men were superior to me.”
After quitting school, he worked at the local docks and then at a racetrack in Dallas, where he first discovered boxing. He began saving money until he had enough to buy boxing gloves.
He made his professional debut in 1898, knocking out Charley Brooks. Because prizefighting was illegal in Texas, he was occasionally arrested there. He developed his own style, dodging opponents’ blows and then counterpunching. After Johnson defeated Burns, he took on a series of challengers, including Tony Ross, Al Kaufman and Stanley Ketchel.
In 1910, he successfully defended his title in what was called the “Battle of the Century,” dominating the “Great White Hope” James J. Jeffries and winning $65,000 — the equivalent of $1.7 million today.
Black Americans rejoiced, but the racial animosity by whites toward Johnson erupted that night in race riots. That animosity came to a head when he was arrested on racially motivated charges for violating the Mann Act — transporting a woman across state lines for “immoral purposes.”
In fact, the law wasn’t even in effect when Johnson had the relationship with the white woman. Sentenced to a year in prison, Johnson fled the country and fought boxing matches abroad for seven years until 1920 when he served his federal sentence.
He died in 1946, and six decades later, PBS aired Ken Burns’ documentary on the boxer, “Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson,” which fueled a campaign for a posthumous pardon for Johnson. That finally happened in 2018, when then-President Donald Trump granted the pardon.
To honor its native son, Galveston has built Jack Johnson Park, which includes an imposing statue of Johnson, throwing a left hook.
“With enemies all around him — white and even Black — who were terrified his boldness would cause them to become a target, Jack Johnson’s stand certainly created a wall of positive change,” the sculptor told The New York Times. “Not many people could dare to follow that act.”
Attachments
Johnson.jpg
Johnson.jpg (73.1 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:14 pm

Per Traces of Texas facebook group:
"Some trail bosses wouldn't hire a cowboy who couldn't sing. We boys would consider it a dull's day drive if we didn't add at least one verse. On bad, dark nights the cowboy who could keep up the most racket was the pet of the bunch. We called him the bellwether, and he always brought up his side of the herd.
When a trail hand sang, it usually had a practical purpose. In threatening weather, when the cattle began to drift and show signs of stampeding, a hymn or a ballad might quiet them. Songs were the best antidote to rumbling in the sky or the howl of a lobo wolf on a distant hill. The cowboy puncher who could sing better than the average had an advantage. In his long days in the saddle, songs helped to speed the hours and to keep him from growing lonesome. In the evening around the campfire, they gave a bit of diversion before the men hit their bedrolls. The hands-on night guard used songs not only to keep the cattle quiet but to keep themselves awake."
----- Wayne Gard, "The Chisholm Trail," University of Oklahoma Press, 1954
Attachments
415032615_767585768729151_7397277502276264649_n.jpg
415032615_767585768729151_7397277502276264649_n.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:52 pm

Another great photo from the Traces of Texas facebook page. It makes me want to go ride today but it's a bit cool for that today:
This is Grady Unberhagen in his spiffy riding clothes on his Indian motorcycle in Seattle, Texas, circa 1915. Where was Seattle, Texas? It was in Coryell County but was engulfed by Fort Hood. Here's what the TSHA handbook says about the town:
"SEATTLE, TEXAS. Seattle, on Owl Creek sixteen miles south of Gatesville in southeastern Coryell County, received a post office in 1899 with Annette Glass as postmaster. W. A. Umberhagen, a local store owner, is said to have chosen the town name because he liked it. When its post office was discontinued in 1933, Seattle's mail was sent to Flat."
Willa Annette Glass and Walter Adolphus Unberhagen married and produced Grady, shown here.
AMAZING PHOTO, EH? THANKS to the TOT reader who sent this in!
Attachments
Grady.jpg
Grady.jpg (101.58 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:59 pm

A long but amazing read today on the Traces of Texas Facebook page:
This is the grave of "Grandma Ziff" Dockery, who lived in three different centuries and who was the oldest person in Texas when she passed away in 1903 at the age of 106. Shown also is a photo of Grandma Ziff, who is buried at the Shady Grove Cemetery in Pattonville, Texas. I guarantee that if you spend five minutes reading this article about her, written when she was alive, you will be glad you did.
GRANDMA DOCKERY - She lived in Three Centuries and Expects to Attend the Confederate Reunion, The Dallas Morning News, January 17, 1902
Special to the News. Paris, Texas, January 12 - A month ago The Dallas News published a brief notice from Paris of Grandma Zilpha Dockery being in town. She enjoys the distinction of being, so far as is known, the oldest living person in North Texas. On the occasion of her visit here she was on the way to the southwest corner of the county to visit a grandson, and had a photograph of herself taken, from which the accompanying cut is reproduced.
From behind the initial milepost planted by old Time to mark her first stride into the twentieth, Grandma Dockery looks serenely across the years of the nineteenth and into the twilight of the eighteenth century, the three cycles in which her heart has pulsed, and of which her memory yet retains distinct impressions. When she was born, Sept. 8, 1796, George Washington had not completed his second term as the first President of the American Republic. George III was on the British throne bemoaning the loss of the colonies as a disaster of yesterday. Napoleon Bonaparte, but recently married to the ill-fated Josephine, was not yet first consul of France, nor had he begun to evolve from the ashes of the Rein of Terror those majestic dreams of empire and conquest which were realized a few years later in the transformation of the map of Europe, the overthrow of ancient dynasties and the erection upon their ruins of new systems of government - all to be involved in turn, in as brief a period, in the mightiest of all history.
Although she has lived in three centuries and hasn't a single acquaintance of her girlhood days left surviving, Grandma Dockery, all things considered, is a remarkably well-preserved old lady. She is free from organic maladies and from most of the devilties common to accumulated years. She is enjoying good general health still, but during the past year or two has rapidly grown more feeble. She walks about without a crutch, but recently has begun to experience what she calls 'drunk and swimming' spells in the head, and when she walks she uses a stick, which she calls her 'horse,' to steady herself and feel her way. Her hearing is nearly perfect, but she is gradually growing blind. Her appetite is good and, as she says, she eats meat and anything else other folks eat. She has never had a stomach trouble, but takes salts now and then to aid digestion. She clings tenaciously to old-fashioned clothes, the styles of seventy-five years ago, and knits her own stockings and gloves, but since her eyesight has begun to fail she experiences trouble in 'picking up' her stitches when she 'drops' them.
Despite her old age, Grandma Dockery is very fond of traveling and spends a good portion of her time visiting her descendants, of whom she has more than a hundred in Lamar County alone, scattered from near Detroit, in Red River County, to Dial, in the edge of Fannin County. Sometimes she travels twenty miles a day in a wagon and stands the trips remarkably well, a little brandy being given her along the road to stimulate and keep up her spirits. Through the kindness and hospitality of C. W. Driskell, her son-in-law, who lives at Roxton, The News correspondent had the privilege last week of enjoying a visit to the remarkable old lady, who is at present visiting Sam Dockery, one of her numerous grandsons, in the southwest corner of the county, in the Union Academy neighborhood. The correspondent found about her no trace of the senility popularly supposed to attend extreme old age. On the contrary, she is strikingly vivacious, talks readily and at times with animation and laughs heartily. She says that she has no desire to die, and thinks that 'anybody with a grain of sense and in their right mind would much rather live.' After an exchange of greetings Grandma Dockery proceeded to give the correspondent a sketch of their life, prompted at intervals by questions.
She was born in Virginia, but does not know in what county. She was the daughter of John Scott, who was a farmer, and moved to Spartanburg district, South Carolina when she was 3 years old. She says that she can remember when the family moved as well as if it had been yesterday. It was her earliest recollection. She had three brothers and seven sisters, all of whom are dead. None of them or either of her parents were long lived. She has never had a serious spell of sickness, never took a dose of morphine in her life, and says that doctors are one class of people she never had any use for. She uses snuff yet, but had to give up smoking a short time ago on account of the 'drunk and swimming spells' in the head which it produced. She cannot yet altogether resist the temptation to smoke, however, and while the correspondent was engaged in conversation with her she reached over and borrowed a cigar from the mouth of her son-in-law, Mr. Driskell, who was smoking, and took half a dozen puffs with manifest satisfaction.
She married at Spartanburg, S. C. when she was 22 years old to William Dockery, with whom she lived many years and had nine children, six sons and three daughters. Two of the sons and three daughters are still living. One of the sons, B. C. Dockery lives at Killeen, Bell County and Samuel R. Dockery, the other son, lives at Nelanvilie, Bell County. The daughters are Mrs. Jane Gibson, who lives at Pattonville, this county, with whom the mother makes her home most of the time; Mrs. C. W. Driskell of Roxton and Mrs. B. Newton, who lives near Gadsden, Ala. Mrs. Driskell and Mrs. Newton are twins.
From Spartanburg district, South Carolina, grandma moved with her husband to Alabama and settled among the Cherokee Indians when there were scarcely any other white persons among them. The Cherokees lived like white folks, some of them being very rich and owning Negroes. Her husband was one of the party hired by the Government to move the Cherokees in wagons from Alabama to Texas and the Indian Territory. They didn't want to leave, and a great many of them committed suicide rather than do so, but the white people wanted their country and they bought and bribed the chiefs into making the treaty to leave. Her husband died from contracting swamp fever on the trip soon after getting back from moving the Cherokees, and some years afterward she married John Diffy, who lived a little over a year. Mr. Diffy was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was a great personal friend of Gen. Hickory [Andrew] Jackson, who made him a present of a walking stick with his name on it. She gave the stick years afterward to his grandson. After her second husband's death she resumed the name of her first husband as that was the name of her children. Long years after the death of her second husband she moved from Alabama with her descendants to this county. They chartered a special coach and filled it. Since then others of her descendants have moved out to Texas, and the connection is perhaps the most extensive in the State.
Asked by the correspondent to mention some of the incidents of her girlhood days, grandma became very animated, and began:
'My people were hard-working people. We worked in the fields with plows drawn by oxen and made crops that way for my father the year before I was married. I never saw a cotton patch till I went to Alabama. In my girlhood days they wore flax cloth dresses, and they were just as pretty as anything they wear nowadays. (At this point she became very animated and gesticulated a great deal while describing how they frailed the flax against the hackies to separate the fiber, and spun and wove it into cloth.) We had a-plenty clothes in them days to wear, and bed clothes, too, piled up to the jists.'
'Grandma, tell me how the young folks used to court,' the correspondent said. 'That reminds me of when I got my first calico dress and my first pair of Sunday shoes. I wore them to church and thought I was the finest lady in the land. I ketched me a beau too. I was only 13 years old then. The shoes were green morocco and the stockings white. Calico was so skeerce and expensive we couldn't afford any frills and trains them days. I got the dress by weaving some flax cloth warp and filling and taking it to Spartanburg and trading it to a merchant yard for yard for the calico. My calico dress was made low 'neck' and short sleeves, narrer, and like a meal sack, the same width from end to end. When I got it on I could hardly bend my knees and couldn't climb a fence at all. Still it was purty - purtier than the new fangled trapping of today. Yes, siree, Columbus!'
'We didn't wear shoes and stockings them days except when we went to church or corn shuckings or logrollings, or weddings or fairs. And we didn't wear them all the way then. We carried our shoes and stockings under our arms until we got near by the church, and then sat down on a log and put them on. After meetin' we stopped on the road and took 'em off again. Made no difference if we had a beau. They had to do that a-way themselves. Them new fangled styles and begotty girls nowadays makes me sick.' 'Grandma, do you reckon it was your new calico dress that caused you to catch a beau that Sunday at church?' the correspondent asked.
'Well, it might have had something to do with it, but I was naturlay purty when I was a girl. And, I tell you, we had to mind our mammies and daddies in them days. We certainly did. Columbus. They didn't allow us to go with just any kind of a rag-tag of a fellow, and I never stayed away from home at night until I was 21 years old.'
'I think you've got enough put down there to tell them folks about me already to make them laugh at me,' she observed as the correspondent was proceeding to make notes of her remarks.
'They didn't have any divorcing when I was young,' she resumed, 'and couldn't get any if they wanted one. They didn't have any marriage licenses either, but when a couple wanted to get married they went to a Justice of the Peace and paid him 50 cents to marry them.'
Grandma was a great cook and used to be engaged by people for miles around to cook for weddings and in fairs. She was a great gingercake baker and made her pin money by selling gingercake and cider. On muster days and at other public gatherings she could cook a good square meal until she was 100 years old. In her early days it was the custom to have cotton pickings, like quiltings, to pick the seed out of cotton before hand gins and regular cotton gins were invented. After picking the seed out of the cloth they spun and wove it into cloth. It was not unusual to see corn shuckings, logrollings, cotton pickings, quiltings and grubbings going on all at the same farm, with everybody, men women and children taking a hand. 'And, my Columbus!' she exclaimed, 'how they did eat! Folks are afraid nowadays when anybody comes to their house they will have to feed them.'
'Grandma, did folks believe in witches when you were young?' she was asked.
'I don't know, but I used to go to mammy's cowpen at night to milk and the next morning it would be full of balls that were not there the night before. Now, do you reckon them fool folks will believe that?' she asked with mock impatience as the correspondent was taking her answer down. Seeing that he continued to write, she continued:
'I know my cows was witched once. They commenced to give bloody milk and it smelled bad. An old lady who lived neighbor to me said if the cows had been witched if I would put milk in a vessel and put it on the fire and get a bundle of willow switches and whip the milk out in the fire while it was boiling, whoever put the spell on the cows would come to the door. I put the children out of the room, and while I was whipping the milk in the fire who do you reckon stepped in the door? Nobody but Bessie Gilbert, my sister-in-law. She stopped in and said: Zilph, what in the devil are you doing there?' I said 'Well the devil has come.'
'Grandma, do you think your sister-in-law bewitched the cows?' the correspondent asked.
'Well anyhow the milk got better,' she replied, evading a direct answer.
'Now ain' t that a purty thing to have folks read way yonder?' she interposed, as the correspondent recorded her remarks. 'You've writ a whole book there that ain't any use under the sun. They'll think that old woman's a fool, but, they'll miss it there. I ain't no fool yet.' Continuing she said:
'My mammy had a witch spell put on her once by her mouth being turned to one side. A neighbor who had two old women living in a house on his place and daddy believed they were the ones who did it. He went to the man who owned the place and cursed them to him. He said if mammy's mouth didn't get straight somebody was going to die. After that mammy's mouth turned tother way and never did get straight.'
She finished her talk about witches with the exclamation that she wouldn't want to talk any more for about a week.
Grandma is a devout member of the Baptist Church and up to a year or two ago was a constant attendant, frequently walking half a mile or more to preaching. Speaking on this subject she said:
'I have no patience with the common run of preachers of these days. In my time they preached the Bible without any put on, and show to plain, sensible people, many of whom attended in their shirtsleeves barefooted, in a log cabins and under trees. The preacher was not too good to preach in his shirtsleeves with a handkerchief around his neck. Next day he tackled the field and plow for a living and didn't charge anything for preaching. It's the almighty dollar with them now, and it is dragging many of them down to torment.
'I've got a plumb contempt for them styles and fashions now,' she remarked, reverting in memory to her first calico dress and first pair of Sunday shoes, 'but I reckon the reason the girls are so foolish is they are uglier than in my day and it takes more fine dressing to make them look purty. If they weren't so biggoty and had more sense they would look a heap purtier. But I'm tired of talking.'
As has been stated, Grandma Dockery belonged to a family of plain, hard working people, and it may he due to the primitive mode of living that her days have been so prolonged. It was a dismally raw, cold and cloudy day when the correspondent visited her. With the wind whistling through the cracks and the door left open, half the time he sat shivering, while she paid not the least attention to the cold. One of her sons in Bell County in a prosperous circumstances offered her a good, comfortable home the rest of her days, but after remaining with him a short while she preferred living in the primitive style to which she had always been accustomed. Mr. Driskell, her son-in-law, expressed the belief that if she was kept in a close room heated by a stove she would catch her death of cold the first time she poked her nose out of the door. Despite all the family can do she insists on going barefooted in the summer, claiming that shoes burn her feet.
One of the most remarkable things about her is that she learned to read after she was a hundred years old. She never went to school a day in her life, and has accomplished the feat of learning to read only within the past four or five years, absolutely without any assistance except to be taught the alphabet. She picked it up as a diversion when she could not work any longer.
Mr. Driskell, who is an ex-confederate, told that correspondent that he expected to take her to the national reunion at Dallas in the spring if conditions were favorable, and it is an event to which she is eagerly looking forward.
A tip of the Stetson to TOT reader Kelly Herd, who let me know of the existence of this. I found the photos and the article on the Find-A-Grave website.
Attachments
Grandma Ziff.jpg
Grandma Ziff.jpg (40.35 KiB) Viewed 5987 times
Dockery Grave.jpg
Dockery Grave.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 5987 times
0 x