Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Traces of Tx (today)

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Traces of Tx (today)

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:43 pm

Traces of Texas reader JK shared this nice photo, which comes with a fantastic backstory. Says JK:
"This photo, taken in 1945, in the Pacific theater, shows Sgt Archie C. Vanskike Sr. (third from left) and his three sons, PCF Clarence E. Vanskike, PFC Louis E. Vanskike and PFC Archie R. Vanskike Jr. (they all came from Galveston, Texas). During WWII, when Clarence, Louis and Archie Jr. went off to war, their 43-year-old father decided to go with them. These four American heroes took part in the New Guinea campaign and the Liberation of the Philippines. Against all odds, they all survived the war and all went back to Texas. This amazing father passed away in 1962. Clarence died in 1978, Louis died in 1979 and Archie died in 1988. They are all now resting in peace together at Evergreen Cemetery in Galveston."
Thanks for sharing the story of the Vanskikes, JK. Fantastic contribution!
Attachments
Fa17437561306810_n.jpg
Fa17437561306810_n.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 320 times
2 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:19 pm

By Leon Beck.
In 1957, a red-headed stranger wandered into the Esquire Ballroom on Houston’s Hempstead Highway. He was a singer/songwriter/musician - and he was broke and hungry. He was there to sell his songs for food for his family.
Larry Butler & his band, the Sunset Playboys, the house band at the legendary Texas honky-tonk were on stage rehearsing. The stranger asked a waitress if he could talk to Mr Butler, a popular recording artist, bandleader & DJ in the Houston area. The reason he was there, he told the waitress, was he wanted to sell some songs to Larry Butler.
The waitress told Larry that there was a Mr Willie Nelson who wanted to see him and Larry said, “Well, tell him to come on in & sit down at the table over there. If he wants a Coke or beer, or whatever he wants let him have it. I’ll be off the bandstand in a few minutes.”
Willie asked for a Coke & two packets of cigarettes. Larry stepped down from the bandstand and went over to Willie. “Mr Butler,” Willie said, “I’ve got some songs I’d like to sell you.”
Larry, who had several No 1 songs on Houston radio, including “Exactly Like You” & “Find Your Place In Life,” listened to the young songwriter sing “Night Life,” “Crazy,” “Family Bible” and a few more songs. “ I told him, ‘Mr Nelson, I won’t buy ‘em.’ He said ‘Why?’ ‘Well they’re too good.’” Larry told Willie.
“He thought I was crazy. I said, ‘One of these days you’re going to be a big star and you’ll need your songs.’ He said, ‘Well I can write more songs but right now I’ve got my wife and kids out in the car and we’re starving. Ten dollars a song would look real big to me right now.’
“It would have made him rich,” Larry laughs. “Ten dollars would’ve. I wouldn’t buy ‘em but I said, ‘I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll help you out. I’ll put you in my band and you go to work for me. In that way if you need any money or anything, I’ll help you out.”
Larry told the club owner, “I need to hire another guy. He’s down on his luck. He’s a songwriter and one of these days he’s going to be a big star.” But the owner of the club really wasn’t interested in hiring a new band member. “I said, ‘Well I’m going to hire him anyway and I’ll pay him myself.’ So I went back there and told Willie. ‘I’ll give you some money to get you started. Be here tomorrow night, or tonight, whenever you can and I’ll start you working in my band.”
Larry had his wife Pat buy Willie some groceries and rent him a house. Larry also split his $25 nightly pay with Willie. “I helped him get going and we’ve been friends and have worked together ever since. We’ve never had a cross word. He’s just one of the greatest guys you’ll ever meet.”
Larry, who had a Saturday radio show on Pasadena radio station KRCT ( the station later changed it’s call letters to KIKK) got Willie a job on there as a DJ. “I kept Willie in my band until he got on his feet, and he was with me off and on while he was there in Houston.”
“In ‘59, Willie had the itch to move to Nashville - ‘to push his songs.’ He and I talked about it, so I gave him some money to get up there.”
A year later while Larry and Pat were in Nashville attending the DJ Convention, they stumbled upon Willie at the Andrew Jackson Hotel. “He was asleep on one of the steps there at the Andrew Jackson Hotel. Pat told me, ‘Larry, that looks like Willie over there.’ I said, ‘Well, I think it is. Go over there and see.”
“She had high heels on, and she went over to see if it was Willie - she bent over and fell right on top of him,” Larry laughs. “She said ‘Willie, what are you doing here?’ He said, ‘I’m still pushing my songs.’ So we took him up and put him to bed in our room that night.” Larry put the top mattress on the floor for Willie to sleep on and he and Pat slept on the springs that night.
“The next day we got all our money together, we didn’t have much money left with us, and gave it all to Willie and left him to push his songs.”
“And he did!”
Footnote - They remained close friends until Larry's death in 2017.
Attachments
417497181_7586127018064335_6342955397557328708_n.jpg
417497181_7586127018064335_6342955397557328708_n.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 308 times
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:11 pm

On this day in 1945, Elizabeth Toepperwein died in her home in San Antonio. She was born in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1882. At eighteen, while working in a Winchester factory, she met Adolph (Ad) Toepperwein, a member of a vaudeville-circuit shooting act who was also employed as an exhibition shooter by the Winchester arms company. After they married in 1903, Ad gave Elizabeth her first shooting lessons and discovered she was a "natural." By 1904 the Toepperweins were working as a team professionally; their first appearance as a famous husband-and-wife team was at the St. Louis World's Fair. Elizabeth acquired the nickname "Plinky" during her early shooting lessons. After several tries, she shot a tin can, which made a "plinking" sound. Elizabeth exclaimed, "I plinked it"--perhaps the first use of this echoic verb now common in shooting publications. She and Ad performed in a career that spanned forty years. Their displays of expertise included shooting while standing on their heads and while lying on their backs. She was the first woman in the United States to qualify as a national marksman with the military rifle and the first woman to break 100 straight targets at trapshooting. She also held the world endurance trapshooting record, hitting 1,952 of 2,000 targets in five hours and twenty minutes. The celebrated shooter Annie Oakley once said to Plinky, "Mrs. Top, you're the greatest shot I've ever seen." Memorabilia of the Toepperweins' career is on display in San Antonio's Buckhorn Saloon.
Attachments
Plinky.jpg
Plinky.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 296 times
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 pm

First 3 cars in Rosenberg in 1909 in the 800 block of Main st (Now 3rd st). The Buick on the left belonged to Henry A. Meyer. The Buick in the center belonged to Dr. J.S. Yates, and the motorized buggy on the right belonged to R.T. Mulchay. Picture courtesy of Rosenberg Today.
Attachments
First Autos.jpg
First Autos.jpg (72.87 KiB) Viewed 258 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:53 am

Here's a wonderful picture of Houston dated 1856. The angle of the picture shows Buffalo Bayou at the foot of Main Street. Note the Allen Brothers sign at top left. Also pictured is how Allen's Landing looks today.
Attachments
Alle.jpg
Alle.jpg (344.06 KiB) Viewed 251 times
Houston.jpg
Houston.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 251 times
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:23 pm

If you go to the Evergreen Cemetery in Bisbee, Arizona you will find the grave of the man shown in this photo, Augustine "Gus" Gildea. Gus lived an adventurous life that somehow seems typical. He was born in Dewitt County, Texas April 23, 1854. The story goes he ran away from home at the age of ten to join the Confederate Army, but was declined. He was working as a cowboy by the age of twelve. During the late 1860s and 1870 he worked cattle in Texas and New Mexico. In 1873 he was living in Frio County, Texas.
Historians say that Gus rode with Selman’s Scouts in September and October 1878, during the troubles spawned by the Lincoln County War. Selman’s Scouts were known for violence. It was reported, “They were known for their brutality and callous regard of all human life. The Scouts stole horses and cattle wherever they came across them, murdered innocent men and boys without warning, raped women, pillaged businesses and houses, and burned ranches to the ground, all without any sense of rhyme or reason.” At one point, Gildea was listed as wanted for four murders under investigation. Selman’s Scouts disbanded and some, including Gildea, fled back to Texas. The Federal Census in 1880 recorded an unemployed Gildea living with his mother in San Antonio. In 1885 he married Virginia R. (Jennie) Boehmer in San Antonio. They divorced in 1901.
In the way things appear to have gone back then, he returned to law enforcement: in 1882 and 1883 he is recorded working as a deputy sheriff in Tom Green County, Texas. He next served as a Deputy U.S. Marshal in Del Rio in the late 1880s and early 1890s.
After his lawman days he worked as a cowboy and range guard for John Chisum in New Mexico. Gus made his way to Arizona where he worked as a cowboy on a ranch near Tombstone. He died of natural causes at Douglas, Arizona on August 10, 1935.
Attachments
Gildea.jpg
Gildea.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 234 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:10 pm

From the Traces of Texas Facebook group:
The Texas Quote of the Day is a very early explanation as to why many early settlers originally came to Texas:
"Few persons feel insulted at such a question [as to why a man has run away from the States and come to Texas]. They generally answer for some crime or other which they have committed; if they deny having committed any crime, or say they did not run away, they are generally looked upon rather suspiciously."
------ W. B. Dewees, "Letters from an Early Settler of Texas," 1854, as compiled by Cara Cardelle. W.B. DeWees came to Texas from Kentucky in 1822, when Texas was part of Mexico. He received a large land grant in 1824 as one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. He worked as a blacksmith and a trader. After the town of Columbus was burned in the Texas Revolution, in 1836, he laid out the present-day town of Columbus and gave land for a courthouse and school. He died in 1878 at the age of 79. His grave marker, shown here, is in the Columbus city cemetery.
Attachments
DeWees.jpg
DeWees.jpg (121.55 KiB) Viewed 220 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:40 am

A man with a produce wagon in Wellington, Texas dated 1922. I believe I see some black diamond watermelons. Whatever happened to those? They were so tasty!
Courtesy Traces of Texas Facebook group.
Attachments
Produce Wagon.jpg
Produce Wagon.jpg (195.01 KiB) Viewed 207 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:47 am

Another Robert George photo. This is a damaged B-24 Liberator returning from a bombing mission over Southern France. August 1944.
Attachments
B24 Liberator.jpg
B24 Liberator.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 207 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:28 am

A true Barbecue Hall of Famer who opened his first barbecue restaurant in Lubbock in 1968.
C.B. Stubblefield learned the ART of smoking meats and adding barbecue sauce to COMPLIMENT the meats from Amos Gamel.
Stubb was a lover of music and Stubb's Bar-B-Q hosted "jam sessions" on Sunday nights that brought in music legends such as B.B. King, Willie Nelson, and Stevie Ray Vaughan to name a few.
The song "The Great East Broadway Onion Championship of 1978" by country singer Tom T. Hall was written after a pool match at Stubb's Bar-B-Q.
Another club by the name of Fat Dawg's was located across from Texas Tech began to also hold a jam session on Sunday nights which tremendously impacted Stubb's business and eventual closure of his East Broadway location.
In 1984 Stubb relocated to Austin and was selling his barbecue and bottling his sauce at a blues place called "Antone's."
The "tornado in my chest" got the best of Stubb and he passed away in 1995, five years after setting up "Stubb's Legendary Kitchen."
Stubb was inducted into the Austin Music Memorial in 2009.
Stubb was also an 🪖 Army Veteran 🪖 and served in the Korean War.
The Stubb's memorial titled, "Barbecue Beyond the Grave," is located where Stubb's Bar-B-Q was located at 108 East Broadway.
Stubb's BBQ Sauce is sold WORLDWIDE. Stubb's Legendary Kitchen (now known as Stubb's Legendary Bar-B-Q) continues to sell the Original and Spicy barbecue sauce, as well as marinades, rubs, and other barbecue sauce flavors. The company, was purchased by McCormick & Co. Inc.
Attachments
Stubs.jpg
Stubs.jpg (100.25 KiB) Viewed 191 times
3 x