Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Eye Exam

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Eye Exam

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:37 pm

I had an eye exam today. If you have been following my range reports you might not be surprised to hear I have cataracts. This getting old sure isn’t for the young at heart.

The good news is surgery should be able to fix it.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Eye Exam

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:37 pm
I had an eye exam today. If you have been following my range reports you might not be surprised to hear I have cataracts. This getting old sure isn’t for the young at heart.

The good news is surgery should be able to fix it.
Ironic. I had an eye exam yesterday. Prescription changed slightly in my left eye, so I ordered a new pair of glasses. this time I added the transitional feature to my already progressive lenses, plus anti glare.
Glad to hear your condition is correctable. I'm dealing with macular already at 67, soon to be 68. Understand the getting old, already. :|
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:23 pm

Been wearing a “reading “ lens in one eye for 25 years. Just added the other eye with astigmatism and distance correction. My oh my. Eye can see!
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Been wearing a “reading “ lens in one eye for 25 years. Just added the other eye with astigmatism and distance correction. My oh my. Eye can see!
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:56 pm

Gene, my eye doctor has been watching my cataracts for almost 7 years. When he first identified them he called them baby cataracts. They have not progressed so he said to wait and see before dealing with them.

The good news is with the laser surgury they use today produces excellent results. Everyone I've talked to reports their vision is much better after the procedure.

Paul
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:12 pm

Funny this should pop up. I too drove to the VA yesterday for an eye exam. Took me this long to finally get an appointment. ;) They upped my prescription a bit, so I waited and waited in the optical shop at the VA to order the one pair of glasses they will pay for, and after over ninety minutes, with the bewitching hour soon approaching, I asked if they would see me in time to get me out of there before the rush hour traffic on I40 began.
"Ah, Not likely, there are still at least seven in front of you."

I told them to take me off the list. I was going to have to pay to upgrade my shooting glasses anyway, and pay for Sunglasses, so...
I drove to the local Optical Shop here and put in the order. I should have my new glasses in about seven to ten days. A pair of driving glasses, bi-focals so I can see the dash inside the truck and read the signs outside. A duplicate pair in sunglasses, with wrap around lenses to protect my eyes in bright sunlight. (migraines) Then the new lenses for my shooting glasses that will snap right into my old frames. (Shatter resistant / rated polycarbonate.) Not an expense I want to repeat again for some time. BUT, necessary. :o With a discount... The first number in the total was a Six.

** I asked about getting transitional lenses for the driving glasses, the doc said they don't work well in the car as the chemicals work on UV rays and modern windshields have UV coatings that prevent them from entering, therefore the glasses don't really transition. Hence, two pairs of glasses.

All three pairs have a non-prescription lens in the left eye. That eye is so bad they can't fix it. When they try the change is SO dramatic it makes me ill and brings on an instant headache. ;) I have often had to INSIST they NOT put some prescription in that side.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:13 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:12 pm

** I asked about getting transitional lenses for the driving glasses, the doc said they don't work well in the car as the chemicals work on UV rays and modern windshields have UV coatings that prevent them from entering, therefore the glasses don't really transition. Hence, two pairs of glasses.
Interesting. I guess I'll find out soon. I was told similar about the transitionl, however, of the three lens colors they offered, grey, brown and green. I chose grey. They said the brown and green don't transition in the car, but the grey will. :?: :roll: Again, guess I'm gonna find out. I've never had them in the past.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:40 pm

I need everyday glasses, sunglasses, computer glasses and what I call chainsaw glasses. Just the frames run $300 to $400 each. I didn’t order anything because next Tuesday they have 30-40% off sale and the rep brings in several more hundred pair for the day.

The VA sent me to a local provider. Only the exam is free. I can go to the VA for one free ugly pair. They might be my chainsaw pair.

My left eye hasn’t changed a lot but my right eye did. The doc showed me what the new prescription was and the right eye could see three more smaller lines.

I shoot both right and left handed depending on which eye is giving me the most problems at the time. I have floaters too. I’ve reported that sometimes I’m a real good shot and then the next I can’t hit the broad side of a barn. It never occurred to me it was eye problems and I thought I just wasn’t concentrating.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:23 pm

My father wore glasses and had to use eye drops for decades. At age 78 had cataract surgery.
Doctors said no more drops. And he only occasionally wore glasses the rest of his life.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:16 pm

To be fair, I got off cheap then. My driving frames were about 150, the sunglasses, 250. The lenses, and lenses for existing shooting glasses brought my total, with discount, to 698.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.